Gaming Laptop brands

Looking to get a gaming laptop. Mobility isn't really an issue but storage will be. Why I need to go to a laptop. Seems all the major brands I've looked at seemed fairly close price/performance wise. Just looking for opinions on which brands people recommend. The ones I've looked at have been:

1. MSI, seemed to be the least bang for the buck
    2. Asus RoG, had one in the past and liked it once I fixed overheating issues
    3. Alienware, seemed the best bang for the buck

My budget will be in the $2500-$3500 price range. The only thing I'm really interested in is a 17"+ screen and something with decent speakers(I hardly ever wear headphones) and a GTX 1080. I have know brand loyalty and am open to any suggestions regarding laptops.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

get this one by acer it is really a great laptop amazon. com/Acer-Predator-Gaming-GeForce-GX-792-703D/dp/B01N353QOO........ remove space from the link

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Looking to get a gaming laptop. Mobility isn't really an issue but storage will be. Why I need to go to a laptop. Seems all the major brands I've looked at seemed fairly close price/performance wise. Just looking for opinions on which brands people recommend. The ones I've looked at have been:

1. MSI, seemed to be the least bang for the buck
    2. Asus RoG, had one in the past and liked it once I fixed overheating issues
    3. Alienware, seemed the best bang for the buck

My budget will be in the $2500-$3500 price range. The only thing I'm really interested in is a 17"+ screen and something with decent speakers(I hardly ever wear headphones) and a GTX 1080. I have know brand loyalty and am open to any suggestions regarding laptops.
    Im confused by your use case, if mobility isnt a concern why not get a desktop?

Also have you considered just getting a cheaper laptop with a good CPU and getting and addon GPU enclosure like the razer core (there are cheaper alternatives as well).

All that I can say anecdotally is that my RoG has also been good to me for the last 1.5 (maybe 2) years.

I do have to mention that when I was researching laptops 2 years ago I came to the exact opposite conclusion. For comparable machines MSI and ROG would fluctuate as the cheapest, alienware more expensive. RoG --> MSI --> those build your own places like alienware... that's what I came up with.

I don't know. My ballpark was 1500-2000, so maybe in your price range the "bang for your buck" changes. Just found it weird that you came up with the opposite conclusion. I also guess that things could have changed in 2 years.

I don't know shit about laptops, but I will comment on Asus. I have had exceedingly good products AND customer service with their products. I have never had a single issue with any part I've had, and I've always been happy with their price/performance.

I have had two RoG GPUs and I use Asus monitors. Love em.

You could also check out Sager laptops if you want more customisation options, other then that I would recommend Asus and MSI, using an MSI one myself.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out Acer and Sager as well. I've had an Asus ROG in the past and liked it for the most part. It had pretty bad over heating issues initially, but that was fixed with new paste. The only other issue I had with it was a couple wires on one of the connectors that connect the screen to the motherboard broke. Using a regular monitor made it a non issue, but I did eventually fix it. Of course this was a G71 so I'm sure those kinds of issues have been taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Im confused by your use case, if mobility isnt a concern why not get a desktop?

Also have you considered just getting a cheaper laptop with a good CPU and getting and addon GPU enclosure like the razer core (there are cheaper alternatives as well).
    I'm going to live full time in an RV and travel the country for a while. I have an Airstream camper. Storage space is an absolute premium. Every time I go to move I'd have to find a place to securely store everything. With a laptop I can just shut the lid and throw it in the floorboard of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out Acer and Sager as well. I've had an Asus ROG in the past and liked it for the most part. It had pretty bad over heating issues initially, but that was fixed with new paste. The only other issue I had with it was a couple wires on one of the connectors that connect the screen to the motherboard broke. Using a regular monitor made it a non issue, but I did eventually fix it. Of course this was a G71 so I'm sure those kinds of issues have been taken care of.

I'm going to live full time in an RV and travel the country for a while. I have an Airstream camper. Storage space is an absolute premium. Every time I go to move I'd have to find a place to securely store everything. With a laptop I can just shut the lid and throw it in the floorboard of my truck.
    That actually sounds fun as hell lol.

As for gtx 1080 laptops, they are all good really. Dell has so much experience and if you can get it for a good price id for sure consider the alienware.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That actually sounds fun as hell lol.

As for gtx 1080 laptops, they are all good really. Dell has so much experience and if you can get it for a good price id for sure consider the alienware.
    I'm looking forward to it, getting pretty excited.

The two I've looked at the most are the Asus G701 and an Alienware 17 R4 with similar stats. I've leaning more towards the Alienware. Even though the Asus has better memory, 32gb of 2800mhz v. 16gb of 2667mhz, I think the screen (1440 v 1080) and speaker layout (front v back behind the screen) on the Alienware is better. But, I'm still going to consider other options.

Just my two cents but have been using an MSI for a few years now and I have no complaints. I do think you will need some cooling for it though, but you probably know that already :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to go wrong with MSI.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I love the ASUS ROG line, They are super durable (i have a kid that liked to knock over my laptop on to a tile floor) The other brand I hear is super good is MSI.

I personally stay away from Dell/Alienware I have had such a bad time with them

(Dell was such an amazing company back in the day and now they are meh)