Poll: Should the Pledge of Allegiance be removed from schools?

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The teacher would be taking a pretty fucking big step between me and my child if my child were forced to repeat that shit.
    You do not live here in the US so it does not matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

I AM a parent..
    Everything you say here is nonsense. Even in parts outright dangerous, or appalling.
    No, you do not teach your children YOUR beliefs
    . That makes you a shitty parent.
    You stay put as a supporter and let your children develop their own personality.
    Your kids are human beings. That's the number 1 fact any parent has to put above all else.
    No it is not and I disagree that parents do not teach their children anything. You do teach them by being a good example and when they do something which is wrong, you instruct them why. You also tell them why you believe something. Of course they have a free will to decide what they will do, but how they are raised and taught by their parents is a vital learning experience.

Funny... Americans tend to be the first ones to poke around everyone's business, terraforming societies into what they believe is right, usually with big rewards for themselves as collateral. But when we catch them being contraditory, archaic and a danger to themselves, "you dun leeve here so ur done understand it"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Funny... Americans tend to be the first ones to poke around everyone's business, terraforming societies into what they believe is right, usually with big rewards for themselves as collateral. But when we catch them being contraditory, archaic and a danger to themselves, "you dun leeve here so ur done understand it"
    Circumcision, pledge of allegiance, imperial units...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Funny... Americans tend to be the first ones to poke around everyone's business.
    Lol...
    With the UN's approval.

Even with all the Anti-American rhetoric on this forum this pledge is STILL overwhelming winning in this poll.

- - - Updated - - -

Circumcision and the Pledge of Allegiance is ruining the world? Who knew...

We use both the metric and standard systems. Some of us have since the 70's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Lol...
    With the UN's approval.
    You seem to have skipped that a few times in the past couple decades.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

We know it is difficult for some people to accept things that are different than them. Perhaps you should be more accepting and diverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You seem to have skipped that a few times in the past couple decades.
    Me personally? You have some specific examples?

Somehow these threads always turn into an Anti-American thread. It never ceases to amaze me.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-03-29 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We know it is difficult for some people to accept things that are different than them. Perhaps you should be more accepting and diverse.
    We don't need a diversity of incorrect answers. 2+2=4. We don't need people who think it is 3 or 5.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    We don't need a diversity of incorrect answers. 2+2=4. We don't need people who think it is 3 or 5.
    What does 2+2 have to do with you not accepting that people think differently than you? Accepting diversity within your own culture can only make it stronger.

Waiting on those specific examples still.

Deleted
    I don't understand this type of propaganda. Most people are trying very hard to just be at good terms with their neighbors. Saying "around here we are good!" is an accomplishment.

People then just skipping all the local problems and uniting behind some artificial thing like "nation" is just terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What's the school prayer?
    Hit 'em high, hit 'em low, to the Nationals, go, team, go!
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A pledge is nothing more than a solemn promise. You make those when you get married or sign up for loan or many other things. And yes, some are legally binding and if you break them there is a price to pay. The pledge of allegiance just happens to be one you are not required to do or should you. But to say a pledge is not a quality decision is not correct in my opinion. Marry someone and then break that pledge and see what happens. So it depends on the pledge. Point being a contract is actually a pledge between two parties.
    People change, circumstances change. A person saying, "I pledge to be with you forever, my love", does not know the future, it is possible that just two years from now their beloved will change significantly and they won't be able to stand them any more - and then what, should they be miserable and make their partner miserable to the end of their lives, just because they've given a verbal pledge? Or, on the other hand, if this is an exception and breaking the pledge is justified in this situation, then what is the pledge worth?

Legally binding contracts I don't mind at all, people are free to sign or not to sign them. When two people sign the marriage contract, they know that, in case the divorce happens, they will be able to make certain claims as per contract. But pledge seems like a relic of the ancient times to me, when people were superstitious and based a lot of their decisions not on pragmatism, but on ethereal concepts that served to replace their ignorance with a blind belief in something.

Again, if people want to give a pledge, they are free to, no one will mind. But I don't think a pledge should be expected by default, just like I don't think dancing naked under the moonlight should be expected by default. I understand and respect your point of view, however. I simply cannot relate to it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

Again, if people want to give a pledge, they are free to, no one will mind. But I don't think a pledge should be expected by default, just like I don't think dancing naked under the moonlight should be expected by default. I understand and respect your point of view, however. I simply cannot relate to it personally.
    I do not think we will be seeing a end to the pledge ( Oath ) public figures or police, military, etc need to take, going away. But marriages, since about half of them end in divorce, many people do not care about the pledge they made. So they may as well just shack up.

But thanks for your last part, I appreciate it and also respect your opinion.

Barely got through half a page and this thread is retarded and should be locked. Nothing useful coming out here.

We use both the metric and standard systems. Some of us have since the 70's.
    Many government agencies including the military use metric so they don't constantly have compatibility problems with the rest of the planet. Meanwhile the rest of the population uses a semi-metricised version of the obscure pre-Imperial British system, which is generally referred to as "US customary units" for want of a better term.

I can't imagine a worse half-measure scenario, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I would be interested in finding out if reciting the pledge does in fact promote a sense of patriotism in the long term. My guess is no.

No, you can already choose to not participate. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Right from wrong isn't a matter of belief, it's a matter of the laws.
    And where do you think laws came from? Laws and ethics are outgrowths from morality.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    No, you can already choose to not participate. End of story.
    That's not true in all states.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And where do you think laws came from? Laws and ethics are outgrowths from morality.
    And we are all stardust.

Backtracking like that does no good.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Backtracking like that does no good.
    "Backtracking?"
    I don't think that word means what you think it means...or maybe you're misapplying it...

Wait so let me get this straight from conservatives point of view. The purpose of the 2nd ammendment in terms of the founding fathers was to uprise against a tyranical government, yet you support forcing all children to take an oath of allegiance to their government everyday whilst supporting the freedom to own guns to overthrow such government?????

Also the whole premise of your candidate donald trump was "free speech" dosent free speech also include, BY YOUR OWN DEFINITION not even the obligation or suggestion to speak or think in a specific way.