Bit of an odd request

Long story short, a family member of mine is interested in assembling a decent gaming level computer. However, the catch is that they only want to use AMD CPU (and ideally GPU) parts in their build; as I really don't follow AMD (Intel and Nvidia user myself), I'm not sure how to recommend items for them as I don't know about compatibility issues that might be out there, etc.

So, can anyone put together a build recommendation in the ~$1000 range (cheaper cost being better, ideally around $800-$1000) using an AMD CPU and probably AMD GPU and the rest of the parts for a computer? And for the GPU, I remember vaguely there's a card out there around par with the Nvidia 1070 that lets you run VR stuff, if that can be included if possible that'd be great. They'd be using existing peripherals like monitor/keyboard, etc, so don't need that factored in.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no AMD GPU that can compete with the 1070 right now, as it is 50% stronger than the strongest AMD GPU. Your family member will have to wait for the 500 series to come out in April 18, and expect the prices to be way up because of startup demand.

Also, for games at least, the cheapest AMD CPU right now is worse than the equivalent (and cheaper) Intel CPU. Need to wait on that as well.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-03-26 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    There is no AMD GPU that can compete with the 1070 right now
    Fury X comes pretty close. I wouldn't recommend the card for much though, since it's quite power hungry and only has 4GB dedicated VRAM.

Their target GPU will likely be the Vega series coming out in a few months; the RX 480 is fairly strong, though as mentioned it's nowhere near a Fury X or GTX 1070 and should be considered a holdover card if they absolutely must buy AMD today.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Fury X comes pretty close. I wouldn't recommend the card for much though, since it's quite power hungry and only has 4GB dedicated VRAM.

Their target GPU will likely be the Vega series coming out in a few months; the RX 480 is fairly strong, though as mentioned it's nowhere near a Fury X or GTX 1070 and should be considered a holdover card if they absolutely must buy AMD today.
    Yeah forgot about fury, it's not a card I would ever recommend though.

This one should handle most games fine, keep in mind that cheaper AMD CPU's and stronger GPU's will arrive in the comming months

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.68 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.87 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($144.33 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card ($240.98 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1168.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-26 08:04 EDT-0400

Eh, I know cheaper will always be coming soon, but that's just the general case with computers, something stronger and faster is always on the horizon, and by the time it comes something even better and faster will be coming soon lol.

Ok so AMD GPUs suck then, I'd probably be able to swing an Nvidia GPU then. I guess it's mostly the CPU that matters to them as they really dislike Intel for some reason, they claim it had a worse failure rate some many eons ago, but that doesn't seem to be the case now of course. Irrational, but w/e, it's their computer. So going by Nvidia GPUs, I know 1070 was advertised for VR, but can the 1060 handle VR or not? The main idea is to get something that's VR ready at least if they want to waste all that money on an Occulus or Vive.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 1060 is VR capable.

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Eh, I know cheaper will always be coming soon, but that's just the general case with computers, something stronger and faster is always on the horizon, and by the time it comes something even better and faster will be coming soon lol.
    This is true but the R5 Ryzen series and the 500 series refresh are literally less than a month away. Whether or not there will be stock issues or gouging remains to be seen but I am going to say very likely for both so take that potential outcome in to account especially when it comes to those god damn etherium miners who buy like 19 cards at a time.

That's not to say you should expect much from the 500 series though. They'll bump the base clock ever so slightly while reducing the power draw since AMD/Global Foundries are switching to a more mature 14nm low power node. The real winner might just be the 560 since it could release with a full core count.

Personally, I've been hanging tight for the R5 series.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-03-26 at 06:33 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.