Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why Blizzard will remake all their old games.

With the announcement of the StarCraft remake, I think it's safe to assume they will do others. Blizzard loves to repackage old content and sell it back to its customers. They've been doing it in Wow for years.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify for everyone, I'm glad they're remastering old games. I just like to give Blizz a hard time because they do repackage old content and sell it again.
    Last edited by crewskater; 2017-03-26 at 11:30 PM.

They didn't remae anything, they just improved textures.

A madder could have done this if he had access to the source code probably, if they didn't already.

remaking the older games would be a lot more work, not only are the graphics and UI so very basic (Warcraft 1 only allowed control of about 6 units at once if I remember correctly)... personally I doubt they'll bother, though I wish they would

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    With the announcement of the StarCraft remake, I think it's safe to assume they will do others. Blizzard loves to repackage old content and sell it back to its customers. They've been doing it in Wow for years.
    It's nothing new. The music and movie industry have been doing it for decades. Why not games too?

It all comes down to the $$$$. And it's a hell of a lot easier to remaster something than come up with something new.

We've known they'll remaster the classic games since about 2012.

So they'll remake all their old games because they "love to"?

Not a very solid argument but, fair enough.

Am I the only one hoping that a SC remaster can help breath some life into a dead genre . I really miss the old school base building games like SC, WC, and C&C. SCII is decent but C&C 4 was a damn abomination!

I'd pay greatly for a similar D2 remake. 0 gameplay changes, just improved graphics\textures\models\ui

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I'd pay greatly for a similar D2 remake. 0 gameplay changes, just improved graphics\textures\models\ui
    Hell, just up the sound quality and get it out of 800x600 land and I'd be amazed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I played Warcraft III for a bit when the released it last year but I got tired of it quickly once I started hitting levels I couldn't steamroll on hard mode. The nostalgia wore off pretty fast.
    I still have all the old C&C games and beat them again at least once a year, guess some of us are just crazy :P

So far SC looks mainly a texture upgrade along with UI and compatibility tweaks. I did not notice any prerendered cut scenes being redone. Also was mentioned that it will be available for sale. No mention of free upgrade for prior owners.

So we got something that people are known to spend their own personal time doing for free and an interested fan base that would rebuy. I do think they missed the peak window years ago for SC. Still easy money.

Probably because they're good and they were one of the best games ever made?

It made me hope for a D2 remaster. I kind of hope they will skip Diablo 1 because there's a really nice free HD remaster of Diablo 1 fan-made that you can play right now. It does have gameplay changes like adding waypoints on floor 2, 4 etc as well as some quality of life changes but in our WoW community, that's only an improvement :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Do I sense a little saltiness and more or less sour behavior? Even at so, we were announced a long time ago about their work on remastering some games. Wouldn't mind a lost vikings remaster, but alas.

But you make it sound like they are the only ones? HAH! Skyrim remaster, do I need say more? And that game wasn't even a classic yet. They had so many others, and they didn't even do them. Even again, nothing new to do so.

"They've been doing it in WoW for years", no, they haven't really. They've UPDATED, not remastered. Remastering is when you are done with it.

And I'll admit, will praise a remaster of WC3!
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    WC3 remaster > everything else remaster

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion it's a good thing, some of their older games are masterpieces. Plus I think they are gonna sell them pretty cheap maybe with some in-game content for their current games, so why not? A nice touch would be a discount if you already own them in your account (like many many other developers did, first that comes in mind Darksiders)

Quote Originally Posted by Lundh View Post
    WC3 remaster > everything else remaster
    I gotta say a D2 remaster would be more meaningful in the long run, I'd love to see a revamped WC3 too.

Deleted
    wc3 has aged very well and is the last game that needs to be remastered, imho

Safe to assume they will do wc3, yes. That's about it.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV