Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Anti corruption protests in Russia, Navalny arrested

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...orted-46381149

Russia's opposition, often written off by critics as a small and irrelevant coterie of privileged urbanites, put on an impressive nationwide show of strength Sunday with scores of protest rallies spanning the vast country. Hundreds were arrested, including Alexei Navalny, the anti-corruption campaigner who is President Vladimir Putin's most prominent critic.

It was the biggest show of defiance since the 2011-2012 wave of demonstrations that rattled the Kremlin and led to harsh new laws aimed at suppressing dissent. Almost all of Sunday's rallies were unsanctioned, but thousands braved the prospect of arrests to gather in cities from the Far East port of Vladivostok to the "window on the West" of St. Petersburg.

An organization that monitors Russian political repression, OVD-Info, said it counted more than 800 people arrested in the Moscow demonstrations alone. That number could not be confirmed and state news agency Tass cited Moscow police as saying there were about 500 arrests.

Navalny, who was arrested while walking from a nearby subway station to the demonstration at Moscow's iconic Pushkin Square, was the driving force of the demonstrations. He called for them after his Foundation for Fighting Corruption released a report contending that Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has amassed a collection of mansions, yachts and vineyards.

Navalny is a persistent thorn in the Kremlin's side. He has served several short jail terms after arrests in previous protests and has twice been convicted in a fraud case, but given a suspended sentence. He intends to run for president in 2018 — an election in which Putin is widely expected to run for another term — even though the conviction technically disqualifies him. Putin has dominated Russian political life, as president or prime minister, since 2000.

No overall figures on arrests or protest attendance were available. Some Russian state news media gave relatively cursory reports on the demonstrations; the state news TV channel Rossiya-24 ignored them altogether in evening broadcasts.

Police estimated the Moscow crowd at about 7,000, but it could have been larger. The one-hectare (2.5-acre) Pushkin Square was densely crowded as were sidewalks on the adjacent Tverskaya Street.
    Someone was going to make a thread eventually.

So There are protests and arrests in Belarus and Russia. Navalny is one of the many opposition figures in Russia but his clout is much smaller than western media makes it out to be.

Putin and his entire government are corrupt pieces of trash. Russians have a right to get rid of them or let them in power. As long as there is not a repeat of the 90s. Fuck the 90s.

Deleted
    Betting a lot of people will trip and fall in some bullets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsurprising, and sad. But it's russia here. We all know Russia is filled with

Best comrades! Russia is wonderful country. Russia is very great. Long live Putin!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Am I dreaming? Cybran flaming Russia and Putin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I think I have entered bizarro world again.

I would love to see Putin, Blair and Bush rot in jail for their crimes. Just this 8000 people protests isn't what is going to bring him down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putin reneged on his shill-posts-for-cash promise, now Cryban is out for blood.

Don't pick on Cybran. He may be a nationalist, but that doesn't mean he can't appreciate that corruption weakens his nation.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Off topic and ad hominem are against forum rules.

Sad news, but I dont think much will change. A lot of Russians seem not to care about corruption on their own goverment, I wish the best for those that do.

Breaking news, Navalny committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of his head with a shotgun, hanging himself and running himself over with a tank while in custody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

"More radioactive polonium with your tea, dear?"

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Continuously picking on the OP is offtopic. Drop it

It worth noticing the only reason for arrests was manifestations' taking place outside of permitted places and routes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Off topic and ad hominem are against forum rules.
    Imagine the ghost town this forum would be if those rules were regularly applied.

Trouble in paradise?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Ad hominem is not against the rules. Flaming is.
    Of course YOU'D say ad hominem is not against the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I don't think anyone has any illusions on this one. In Iran, multi-million demonstrations in Tehran a few years back didn't make a dent in the regime. Of course Navalny with a few thousand supporters won't make anything, but a few headlines.

He is also a lousy person to put a stake on, as he essentially is a clone of Jean-Marie Le Pen. Then again, people hardly have any choice, and he is probably a lesser evil than Vlad Dracula!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It's actually a big event.

According to Echo of Moscow radio station, 60,000 people took part in anti-Kremlin rallies in 82 Russian cities.

In Moscow protesters were chanting: “Putin the thief, go away!” Thousands of people gathered on the Palace Square of Saint Petersburg in front of the Hermitage and shouted: “Down with the Tsar!”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...&source=Reddit

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

700 idiots per city? Not that impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    700 idiots per city? Not that impressive.
    Idiots for protesting against Putin?

What a world you live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.