$2000~2500 builds

Hello,

After finally settling down in one place it's time for me to finally ditch my laptop for a desktop. I have been considering staying in 1080p for the time being but after reading a lot about it, I'm considering 1440p. My issue is that I'm not sure if it's feasible to play most games at 1440p/144fps for that kind of budget, especially as I plan to dual-screen with a 1080p to watch tv shows or movie while I play/work.

That being said, the 144fps would really only be for games like OW, as I find 60fps more than enough for MMO's or solo games (it's obviously great if I can get more). But again, I'm not sure if that budget is even enough for 1440p/60fps while dual-screening (I'm fine with turning off the second monitor for solo games). So to expand on the games I play, this would be MMOs (BDO, WoW, GW2, ESO) or solo games like MEA. I am adamant on playing on max setting though (I'm okay with disabling some things like Witcher 3 hairworks though, but high settings is the minimum). From the information I've gathered, I have to build around a GTX1080ti for my needs but it might not be enough?

As mentioned in the title, I'm looking to buy two computers, one would be to play the games mentioned above, the other one for work. Being a designer, this consists of PS, Illustrator and some video editing (nothing too crazy). It would also be nice if the second computer can play games too for when friends visit etc,... I considered buying two of the same build but I don't really know if a Gaming build would be fine for my work or if it's better to have something more tailored towards it.

The last part is that I'm living in South Korea, and from what I've gathered, some parts might not be available there (Amazon is almost a no-go here sadly). I would really love not to go over budget but I can if it's not too much and worth it. I'd rather pay a bit more and not have to upgrade for the next 3 years, than pay less and upgrade to 1440p later on. Ah, I can also wait a bit if some better parts are going to get released in the next two months, but not more than that as playing on this old laptop is getting bothersome.

I think I've covered everything, will edit if I missed something.

Budget : 2000~2500$ for each build (can add a bit more if it ensures the settings I'd like at 1440p), would rather spend a bit more and not have to upgrade in the next 3 years
    Resolution : 1440@144fps ideally with 1080p dualscreen for TV shows while playing MMOs, 1080p if not doable with that budget
    Games / Settings Desired : OW@144fps, MMOs like GW2, ESO, BDO, WoW and solo games like MEA in ultra (60fps is fine for those but the more the merrier of course)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) : I'm a freelance designer, so extensive use photoshop and illustrator, some light video editing here and there
    Country : South Korea (http://danawa.com/) but partpicker is fine, if something doesn't seem available there I'll mention it, but it shouldn't be a problem.
    Parts that can be reused : None, currently using an old laptop
    Do you need an OS? Nope
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope
    Last edited by Jngizu; 2017-03-30 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Fill in the sticky and post link to shop you are going to be using

Well, being in Korea, not sure, but I know here with that budget you could probably get a 1440p GSync monitor and not have to worry about hitting 144 FPS all the time. Though with that budget, it shouldn't be to bad either. pcpartpicker does not have an option for South Korea, so without knowing some specific shops you can buy from it will be difficult to give specific advice.

I can say generally, on that budget I'd look at an i7-7700k or if not playing WoW an Ryzen 7 1700, with a compatible motherboard(Z270 for intel and not entirely sure on AMD still), at least a GTX 1080, but probably a 1080ti and a 512GB SSD.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, being in Korea, not sure, but I know here with that budget you could probably get a 1440p GSync monitor and not have to worry about hitting 144 FPS all the time. Though with that budget, it shouldn't be to bad either. pcpartpicker does not have an option for South Korea, so without knowing some specific shops you can buy from it will be difficult to give specific advice.

I can say generally, on that budget I'd look at an i7-7700k or if not playing WoW an Ryzen 7 1700, with a compatible motherboard(Z270 for intel and not entirely sure on AMD still), at least a GTX 1080, but probably a 1080ti and a 512GB SSD.
    Once again, fill in the information, please, in the sticky post on forums so you don't make people read wall of text

Quote Originally Posted by Listat View Post
    Once again, fill in the information, please, in the sticky post on forums so you don't make people read wall of text
    Ummm, I'm not the OP here. That was in response to him. Thanks for being the forum police though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ummm, I'm not the OP here. That was in response to him. Thanks for being the forum police though.
    Sorry

/10 chars

I didn't link a shop because well, it's in Korean :/. I was planning on just looking at the parts linked here and tell you guys if they were not available. From my research, pretty much everything is though. Anyway here's the shop : http://danawa.com/

As for the wall of text, I figured it was better, since it gave more information. But hey, if it's easier for you guys :

Budget : 2000~2500$ for each build (can add a bit more if it ensures the settings I'd like at 1440p), would rather spend a bit more and not have to upgrade in the next 3 years
    Resolution : 1440@144fps ideally with 1080p dualscreen for TV shows while playing MMOs, 1080p if not doable with that budget
    Games / Settings Desired : OW@144fps, MMOs like GW2, ESO, BDO, WoW and solo games like MEA in ultra (60fps is fine for those but the more the merrier of course)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) : I'm a freelance designer, so extensive use photoshop and illustrator, some light video editing here and there
    Country : South Korea (http://danawa.com/) but partpicker is fine, if something doesn't seem available there I'll mention it, but it shouldn't be a problem.
    Parts that can be reused : None, currently using an old laptop
    Do you need an OS? Nope
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope
    Last edited by Jngizu; 2017-03-30 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Gaming rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.89 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($81.83 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($379.00 @ Jet)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1105.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-30 05:42 EDT-0400

Work rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Jet)
    Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.97 @ Jet)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($146.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1586.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-30 05:42 EDT-0400

edit:
    - A gtx 1070 will play mmo's at 1440p but might struggle on some AAA shooters. IF you up the budget you could get a gtx1080.
    - Atm with Ryzen you have to be picky with the ram you choose. There are cheaper ram sticks out there but the one i linked should work @ 3000-3200Mhz. Its samsung B
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2017-03-30 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    snip
    Thank you, but isn't the gaming rig a bit on the lower-end for games like MEA at 1440p? @Lathais seemed to hint that an i7 would be better?
    Or the way I wrote it made it sound like my budget was for both (I think that's what happened). That budget is for each. So 5000$ max for both. Will edit for clarity.

Also is AMD still the better CPU for a work-related build? It used to be that way a long time ago, but I haven't followed. If Intel does the job well for my work, I'd rather stick with them.
    Last edited by Jngizu; 2017-03-30 at 10:52 AM.

Deleted
    Well i had to do compromises to be close to 2500$ total...with 2.5k each, thats a whole different ballpark. That aside the gaming rig is good for just gaming. Even for MEA a gtx1070 should play at ultra settings with 50-60 average fps @ 1440p more if you get some settings down. A gtx 1080 would keep you above 60-65fps constantly @ ultra. I doupt an i7 7700k over an i5 7600k will have any sort of meaningful impact. Besides that you can do a mild overclock at the i5 around 4.5Gz and call it a day.

Extra money outside of the gpu will just get you extra bling and features that 90%, if not more, of gamers don't need, nothing performance wise. Btw have you got the 1440p monitor? Cause with 2.5k You can get a decent 1440p monitor. Unless you wanna go full out on a 3440x1440p.

About the amd vs intel for work it hasn't been like that for a long time. It is however now with the new released amd Ryzen. You aint getting an 8core cpu from intel anywhere near that money. You need over 1k for the cpu alone, ie an i7 6900k, and you would need to overclock it abit to match the 1800X.

edit: With that budget you could probably throw a gtx 1080ti on each rig (if you will use gpu power for rendering etc).
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2017-03-30 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Well i had to do compromises to be close to 2500$ total...with 2.5k each, thats a whole different ballpark. That aside the gaming rig is good for just gaming. Even for MEA a gtx1070 should play at ultra settings with 50-60 average fps @ 1440p more if you get some settings down. A gtx 1080 would keep you above 60-65fps constantly @ ultra. I doupt an i7 7700k over an i5 7600k will have any sort of meaningfull impact. Besides that you can do a mild overclock at the i5 around 4.5Gz and call it a day.

Extra money outside of the gpu will just get you extra bling and features that 90%, if not more, of gamers don't need, nothing performance wise. Btw have you got the 1440p monitor? Cause with 2.5k You can get a decent 1440p monitor. Unless you wanna go full out on a 3440x1440p.

About the amd vs intel for work it hasn't been like that for a long time. It is however now with the new released Ryzen. You aint getting an 8core cpu from intel anywhere near that money. You need over 1k for the cpu alone, ie an i7 6900k, and you would need to overclock it abit to match the 1800X.
    The main reason I was looking at a 1080ti is because I don't want to upgrade in 6 months. I will also probably use the gaming PC for some light work here and there as I have to edit projects on the fly so it's more convenient than to switch comp. But yeah, as I said I was just considering that kind of budget since in the past, with a 1000~1200$ comp, I noticed I would need to upgrade rather quickly if I wanted to keep up the performances with the new games.

For the monitor, I'm thinking about this one. I will be dualscreening with a basic 1080p monitor though.