Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    That's littering. As far as I know, littering is punishable with a fee. Maybe that should be enforced instead of banning people handing flyers.
    It's not the people handing out flyers that are doing the littering. It's the people receiving them. That's harder to keep track of, especially during a busy time like lunch time on a uni campus.

You need to bring in separate regulations outside of existing littering ones to make people handing out flyers responsible for what other people do with the things they're being handed. It's a lot easier to keep track of all that if you have a proper system in place. Like designated areas where you can do this sort of thing. The designated area in the story here sounds too restrictive, but the idea is not bad in itself.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2017-03-29 at 10:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People think free speech zones are bad, until your traffic is blocked. Noticing a funny pattern with the posters here.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    People think free speech zones are bad, until your traffic is blocked. Noticing a funny pattern with the posters here.
    Those are two different things. How does one person handing out flyers go to "people literally laying in the middle of the interstate, specifically to block traffic?"

If you think its okay to limit speech to just a 25X25 square in the corner of campus, why couldn't we just make this campus wide, as long as no persons or traffic is reasonably being blocked? Don't block doors, don't block heavy travel paths, don't block roads, etc.

I'm also noticing a funny pattern here: some of the same people that argue in favor of blocking roads and whatnot are now scoffing at this..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Those are two different things. How does one person handing out flyers go to "people literally laying in the middle of the interstate, specifically to block traffic?"

If you think its okay to limit speech to just a 25X25 square in the corner of campus, why couldn't we just make this campus wide, as long as no persons or traffic is reasonably being blocked? Don't block doors, don't block heavy travel paths, don't block roads, etc.

I'm also noticing a funny pattern here: some of the same people that argue in favor of blocking roads and whatnot are now scoffing at this..
    Im just responding to people talkin about free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    As of yesterday, the mad cheeto designated America a open air landfill.
    What is a "mad cheeto"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's a public school, so free speech should be permitted everywhere. The same should be for all public property... and I do mean all of it. The same should also go to protecting the 2nd Amendment on all public property, including government buildings.
    That's definitely not how campuses work. Free speech is not permitted everywhere otherwise you would have fire and brimstone preachers waiting to pounce on students as soon as they leave biology. White nationalists outside of multicultural classes, pictures of dead fetuses everywhere.

Every public has a free speech zone for people to say whatever they want, most zones are in front of an institution's library. I'm pretty sure the student knew of the policy or was informed of it. There's nothing wrong with the policy, it allows people to exercise their free speech without overly disrupting students.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyxi View Post
    Not allowing a filibuster of a class would be a reasonable exception to the 1st Amendment which the courts would be fine with. Disallowing someone from handing out copies of the Constitution outside of class would likely not. The 1st Amendment applies to entities created and/or funded by legislatures because otherwise they'd create goon squads and tell them in private to go out and silence people.
    I think you're using what's being handed out as justification to get around the rules. The university doesn't care what you're handing out, you need a permit for it. Period. They aren't telling you what you can and can't pass out but that it has to done in a undisruptive fashion. You want to hand stuff out? Theres places and days for that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

In the colleges I've been to, petitioning and passing things out and holding events is usually relegated to specific areas that you need to book. The reason for this is traffic. Walkways and halls and commons get really busy, and they don't want petitioners clogging things up, creating chaos.