Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    That's not how multiple languages work. Not every business in Canada operates in both French and English.
    That's what official language means. If I walk into your store in a country where Somali is official language, then you go find a translator, if you, or some other employee can't speak it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We have more Spanish speakers than that.
    I don't know who "we" is.

I know the US has more Spanish speakers than Spain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    US gets by just fine without an official language. The capital would need to be strategically placed.
    The USA was formed by a bunch of people who all spoke the same language though. It's only more recently that the Spanish-speaking population's soared.

You can have multiple official languages. Right now the current procedural languages of the EU are English, French, and German. So the Federal European government would operate in those, while the States would work within their local languages.
    This does lead to a hell of a linguistic mess though, with all the different translations required etc.

In practice, you need a unifying language and culture to stitch the different parts together, otherwise they all start going their own separate ways.
    Still not tired of winning.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't exactly call 35+ million Spanish speakers "minuscule". And those are the ones that are actually being counted.
    Just because they speak spanish in the house doesn't mean they speak spanish at work, at stores, or at restaurants. The US vastly operates in English.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's what official language means. If I walk into your store in a country where Somali is official language, then you go find a translator, if you, or some other employee can't speak it
    Lol no it doesn't. I live in a country with two official languages. And no store is required to operate in both languages. Only the federal government has to operate in both.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    What if the EU was dissolved and a new government was created similar to the United States? One that united all of Europe under a single governmental umbrella with a single goal. Your citizenship would be toward this U.S.E. and not your current "state". Europe would have one military, one government, one border, etc...
    That's exactly what the EU federalists are trying to do. And it's not working; not only the member nations are too different, but also the lead EU politicians are corrupt and undemocratic. We'd need a major overhaul of the rules and a huge broom to physically swipe out all the corrupt politcians, useless bureaucrats and treacherous Eurabia enthusiasts before any serious talks about a closer unification could take place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know who "we" is.

I know the US has more Spanish speakers than Spain.
    There are about 45 million people in Spain, so we have about 45 million people whose first language is Spanish. Plus 10m Portuguese, who are basically just pretending not to speak Spanish.

We also have about 80m German speakers, 65m French, 60m Italian, 40m Polish, etc. as primary used languages.

Lol no it doesn't. I live in a country with two official languages. And no store is required to operate in both languages. Only the federal government has to operate in both.
    You are correct. It is in the commercial company's best interest to cater to their customers though.

We already had something along those lines, it was called the Roman Empire.

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
    And it was a corrupt fuckfest.

Deleted
    There are about 45 million people in Spain, so we have about 45 million people whose first language is Spanish. Plus 10m Portuguese, who are basically just pretending not to speak Spanish.

We also have about 80m German speakers, 65m French, 60m Italian, 40m Polish, etc. as primary used languages.
    Plus the Irish who use English as their first language.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are about 45 million people in Spain, so we have about 45 million people whose first language is Spanish. Plus Portuguese, who are basically just pretending not to speak Spanish.

Lots of americans think they are the most diverse nation in the world. More so than an entire continent.

79.2% of the US speaks English. 12.9% speak Spanish.

In the EU, 13% speak English, 18% speak German, 12% speak French, 13% speak Italian, 8% speak Spanish, 8% speak Polish...

That's a complete failure on the employers part then, if they can't even be bothered employing people in a way that encompasses both official languages. You know how easy it is? You hire one person who can speak both, and what do you know, problem solved. There's no excuse to not be able to serve customers in official languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Plus the Irish who use English as their first language.
    And the Scottish, who pretend they have a language called Scots, but it is just badly spelt English.

Plus the Welsh, of course, who have yet to discover vowels.

Lots of americans think they are the most diverse nation in the world. More so than an entire continent.

79.2% of the US speaks English. 12.9% speak Spanish.

In the EU, 13% speak English, 18% speak German, 12% speak French, 13% speak Italian, 8% speak Spanish, 8% speak Polish...
    There is more to diversity than just language my friend.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are correct. It is in the commercial company's best interest to cater to their customers though.
    Exactly, and in countries with multiple official languages, the speakers of one language tend to stick to one area. So a company will only operate in one language for the vast majority of the time because the vast majority of their customers only know English or only know French.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed there is, but the difference between someone from Scotland and someone from Greece is vast, that is ignoring all the ones inbetween, who are also different from each other.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's a complete failure on the employers part then, if they can't even be bothered employing people in a way that encompasses both official languages. You know how easy it is? You hire one person who can speak both, and what do you know, problem solved. There's no excuse to not be able to serve customers in official languages.
    Why should a company waste money supporting a second language if only 1.5% of their provincial population speaks the second official language? Why would a company waste money supporting a second language that only 0.001% of the local population speaks?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why europe has more diversity in other things then just languages aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    That's why europe has more diversity in other things then just languages aswell.
    But it's individual countries do not have this rich diversity. Europe as whole shares this diversity.

- - - Updated - - -

Why should a company waste money supporting a second language if only 1.5% of their provincial population speaks the second official language? Why would a company waste money supporting a second language that only 0.001% of the local population speaks?
    Why even have official languages at all?

Why have official languages at all, if you can not be served using official language? "wasting money" lol. Your business will have employees, and even a single employee who can speak in both languages will do, for....ready for it? For the price of one employee you were going to have anyway.

Tell me more about this wasting money idea you have. Maybe you can start by actually saying in what way it wastes money.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, which is why if you look at any diversity index they will take into account more than just language, and the US is still pretty damn average when it comes to diversity.