Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Rift Starter Pack on Steam for 5 Euro/Dollars

Even though Rift is absolutely and totally free to play with no content locked to you all the way to level 65, sometimes you could do with a little booster pack.

Came across this on Steam, the Rift Starter Pack for €/$4.99 which offers:

7 Days of Patron Time
    Get currency bonuses, extra loot, boosts, power-ups, convenience perks, and more.

Ascended Onyx Hoop
    Keep your ears geared with a level-scaling earring. Provides a 15% XP boost when worn with the Ascended Pearl Hoop.

Ascended Pearl Hoop
    Keep your ears geared with a level-scaling earring. Provides a 15% XP boost when worn with the Ascended Onyx Hoop.

Steam-Powered Satchel
    Never run out of room with the help of this massive 32-slot bag.

White Ursin Mount
    Explore Telara faster than ever from the back of a ferocious White Ursin.
    The pair of earrings will scale all the way from level 1 to 70, if you choose to keep playing past level 65.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/app/602450/

Trion offering something of decent value for once. Good on em.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Trion offering something of decent value for once.
    Unfortunately, the recent price cuts and "special offers" are not out the goodness of their hearts. It's called "desperation".

Overheard: If No Man's Sky on release and DAY ONE: Gary's incident had a baby, it would be RIFT: Starfall Prophecy.

Deleted
    does everyone get earing slots now then? or is it somthing along the lines of

oh nice a starter pack i think i'll buy that, then you realize u cant even use the earings and have to grind for them, or just buy them aswell since its easier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie90 View Post
    does everyone get earing slots now then?
    Yep, earring slots are open to everyone now, initially it started off at the launch of the second Expansion Nightmare Tide that you had to unlock earring slots with 100,000 Void Stones (in game currency tokens) then for some strange reason, it got changed to credits only, then changed back to void stones again, this time 50,000

Now it's open to all and that starter pack pair of earrings will act like 'Heirlooms' gear in WoW, they will level up with you from level 1 to 65 or 70 depending if you buy the current Expansion or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Yep, earring slots are open to everyone now, initially it started off at the launch of the second Expansion Nightmare Tide that you had to unlock earring slots with 100,000 Void Stones (in game currency tokens) then for some strange reason, it got changed to credits only, then changed back to void stones again, this time 50,000

Now it's open to all and that starter pack pair of earrings will act like 'Heirlooms' gear in WoW, they will level up with you from level 1 to 65 or 70 depending if you buy the current Expansion or not.
    That strange reason has a name. It's called greed. Then they realized that didn't work, so changed it back. Not sure why that's so confusing.

Yeah, the "strange reason" is pretty obvious. They tried to make it a stronger "pain point" to drive more revenue, it didn't pan out well, and now it's functionally useless as a monetization tool so it's no longer worth the bad blood it generates with folks.

It was an extremely unpopular change at the time, at least that whole nonsense is (hopefully) finally dealt with.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, "greed", they gave people a free Expansion and to make some money back they decided to charge for earring slots...a few months after the Expansion launched, people crying about getting a free Expansion? no problem, pay up for the next one., which we had to.

The game is a dumpster tier quality cashgrab for years, and everyone knows that, now with the revenue is reaching a critical low they are trying everything to magnet in some people to pay the bills for them.

lol, "greed", they gave people a free Expansion and to make some money back they decided to charge for earring slots...a few months after the Expansion launched, people crying about getting a free Expansion? no problem, pay up for the next one., which we had to.
    F2P doesn't excuse trying to sell gear slots. They already had a shit load of stuff monetized before that such as soul packs. It's greed. Just like the bonus rolls that you pay for in the store which you inevitably will because of how awful the RNG is in LFR.

Funny how Starfall is B2P and they still seem to be going down the nickle and dime route.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    The game is a dumpster tier quality cashgrab for years, and everyone knows that, now with the revenue is reaching a critical low they are trying everything to magnet in some people to pay the bills for them.
    Pretty much. As I posted above they have added bonus rolls to the store now. No joke.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-06 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    F2P doesn't excuse trying to sell gear slots
    I think you'll be hard pressed to name more than two F2P MMO's that give away Expansions for free.

You mean the 'bonus rolls' charges that everyone get weekly? even the totally F2P players?

I think you'll be hard pressed to name more than two F2P MMO's that give away Expansions for free.

You mean the 'bonus rolls' charges that everyone get weekly? even the totally F2P players?
    Name one F2P MMO that sells gear slots through it's store or did. Also F2P doesn't mean monetize the crap out of it when you already had enough in the store. Soul packs were fine, Gear slots and Planewalker: Water was not. Nice to see you just cherry picking one part of the quote and ignoring the bit about me saying how monetized the game already was.

Also that explains why people I've been watching/talking too are so annoyed with RNG that they are resorting to buying them? Recharge time is atrocious for how bad the RNG towards loot is.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-06 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name one F2P MMO that sells gear slots through it's store or did.
    Off the top of my head, Black Desert Online sells gear that's essential if you want to be a 'pro' PvP'er, i already asked you to name F2P MMOs that give away Expansions for free, surely a games expert like you that play many MMOs at once can name at least one, feel free to point out where Rift is selling gear slots right now....

Off the top of my head, Black Desert Online sells gear that's essential if you want to be a 'pro' PvP'er, i already asked you to name F2P MMOs that give away Expansions for free, surely a games expert like you that play many MMOs at once can name at least one, feel free to point out where Rift is selling gear slots right now....
    Where did I say they were selling gear slots right now? I'm well aware of the removal. Doesn't suddenly change the fact they did for over 2 years. As usual you literally bring stuff into the discussion nobody even mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if every Games Company listened to these self-entitled players who think a Games Company owes them something for even playing their game, guess what, if they're not interested in paying a dime and just hop between F2P games without spending anything but scream in rage when they can't get anything, then they're not the player they want, simple economics.

Well if every Games Company listened to these self-entitled players who think a Games Company owes them something for even playing their game, guess what, if they're not interested in paying a dime and just hop between F2P games without spending anything but scream in rage when they can't get anything, then they're not the player they want, simple economics.
    Not wanting a company to sell gear slots is "self-entitled" when they already had plenty of other methods of income? My god. Also since you decided to compare BDO to this let me do one. Rift actually sold fucking raid gear in it's store. Previous tier or not it completely bypassed the gearing process of an RPG. So Rift is even worse in that aspect.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-06 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not wanting a company to sell gear slots is "self-entitled" when they already had plenty of other methods of income? My god.
    Rift is by far one of the most generous F2P MMO's out there, second is Wildstar, problem is, in my opinion, they give away far too much for free, that doesn't stop the self entitled demanding more, there's an expression:

"give an inch, they'll demand a mile"

Rift is by far one of the most generous F2P MMO's out there, second is Wildstar, problem is, in my opinion, they give away far too much for free, that doesn't stop the self entitled demanding more, there's an expression:

"give an inch, they'll demand a mile"
    No it really isn't the best F2P model out there. It stopped being the best F2P model around NMT. It doesn't even actually have a full F2P model anymore since the expansion is B2P. And not worth it at best.

Also again not wanting to sell gear slots is not being "self-entitled". You are really trying too hard here.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-06 at 05:16 PM.

Even though Rift is absolutely and totally free to play with no content locked to you all the way to level 65
    Then it's not technically free, it's just a massively glorified Trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Then it's not technically free, it's just a massively glorified Trial.
    Exactly. And the current expansion is awful. Barely any content, barely any polish put into it and literally there is nothing to do as a progression raider because they haven't even released what is going to be an upscale of an older raid. Funny how they went back to B2P and it's worse than Nightmare Tide.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-06 at 05:21 PM.