Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Starting ffxiv quit wow need help plz

Hey guys need advise on what do i need to do before the expansion. I was a hardcore player in ffxiv online played wow got fed up of the rng wana give ffxiv a shot what things do i need to do before the expansion? Do i need to level all classes to 60 or what am interested in like war monk ninja. Will play samurai in the expansion need advice please. I played alittle of a realm reborn years ago btw

Quote Originally Posted by Bozeed View Post
    Hey guys need advise on what do i need to do before the expansion. I was a hardcore player in ffxiv online played wow got fed up of the rng wana give ffxiv a shot what things do i need to do before the expansion? Do i need to level all classes to 60 or what am interested in like war monk ninja. Will play samurai in the expansion need advice please. I played alittle of a realm reborn years ago btw
    The only thing you absolutely need to do before June 20th (for Stormblood's launch), is to complete the Main Story questline in Heaven's Ward (which obviously means finishing the original ARR main story questline as well).

You only need 1 combat class/job at 60 to do this though you will likely have varying levels in other classes for job prereqs and desired cross-class skills.

Outside of that, I wouldn't worry about anything else. Starter gear in Stormblood will be simple enough to come by so you dont have to worry about being in max ilvl Heavensward gear to start.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2017-04-02 at 12:42 AM.

So only the main quest i shouldn't worry about anything else? How long will this take?

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Step 1. Roll a toon on Balmung
    Step 2. Join a Erp guild.
    Step 3. Make Miqo'te babies.
    Step 4. Send them out into the world to grind for you.

Also, to save some game time, you can level all classes to 35 without paying now regardless if you're new or have an old account.
    So it might be an idea to level the classes you can up and then purchase some time.

So only the main quest i shouldn't worry about anything else? How long will this take?
    How long it takes is entirely dependent on how much time you have available to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You will easily hit max level before you finish it

15+ Year Old Account
    A long damn time

You don't just hit 50 and move straight into the expac, you have to do the ENTIRE main story including all the additional quests that got patched in over the years before you're allowed to get into Heavensward content. I hit 50 pretty easily and then still had a couple weeks finishing off the story before moving on.

The lvl 50 content gives a fraction of the amount of exp that Heavensward does, and even still I was almost 57 before moving into the expac, doing nothing but main story and dungeon dailies.

Long story short - ignore sidequests entirely (unless they have a blue quest marker, which means they unlock something important).
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Guys is crafting fishing gathering jobs important?
    I remember before remaking the game you can repair 100% and will one class like monk or ninja do or should i level a couple before the expansion i don't wanna miss out on anything important

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Step 1. Roll a toon on Balmung
    Step 2. Join a Erp guild.
    Step 3. Make Miqo'te babies.
    Step 4. Send them out into the world to grind for you.

Also, to save some game time, you can level all classes to 35 without paying now regardless if you're new or have an old account.
    So it might be an idea to level the classes you can up and then purchase some time.
    Wait.. Legit? Is there any restrictions on anything else or just 35 cap? Been keen to try FF14 out again but slack for paying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Wait.. Legit? Is there any restrictions on anything else or just 35 cap? Been keen to try FF14 out again but slack for paying.
    This list was posted in other thread earlier.

• Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
    • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
    • Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
    • Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level thirty five (35).
    • Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
    • Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.
    • Free Trial Players cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon during the Free Trial.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post45182557

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    This list was posted in other thread earlier.

[LIST][*]Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.[*]One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
    Bolded Part, I am an old player of ARR. Quit before First expansion, does that mean I am ineligible?

I remember before remaking the game you can repair 100% and will one class like monk or ninja do or should i level a couple before the expansion i don't wanna miss out on anything important
    If you completely ignore crafting and gathering the things you're missing out on are the ability to repair your own gear (instead of having an npc do it), the option to meld your own materia (which an npc or another player can do for you), and the option to earn extra GC seals through crafted/gathered turn ins without paying for someone else to craft/gather them.

Ultimately, if you didn't care about about the speed at which you level, you could conceivably level just on those GC turn ins since they give a great deal of xp for the associated crafting/gathering class when you turn them in. Just do them daily and eventually you'll max out (though it will take time). Supplementing that with Ixal quests pre-50 and moogle quests post-50, and your crafting classes will level quickly with only gathering lagging behind until you can turn in gathering collectibles which give great xp.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Bolded Part, I am an old player of ARR. Quit before First expansion, does that mean I am ineligible?
    seems like it, I asked this on reddit earlier today and they told me it was only for trial accs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    A long damn time

You don't just hit 50 and move straight into the expac, you have to do the ENTIRE main story including all the additional quests that got patched in over the years before you're allowed to get into Heavensward content. I hit 50 pretty easily and then still had a couple weeks finishing off the story before moving on.

The lvl 50 content gives a fraction of the amount of exp that Heavensward does, and even still I was almost 57 before moving into the expac, doing nothing but main story and dungeon dailies.

Long story short - ignore sidequests entirely (unless they have a blue quest marker, which means they unlock something important).
    ^^ is the reason I stopped playing...I understand the story is an important part of FF14 (and I really like the story) but having to do 100+ filler quests, and maybe 10 that actually progress the story after hitting lvl50 was too much. I enjoyed the game, but didn't want to be forced into weeks worth of "story" quests, just to get into heavensward...

If they fix this and only have you do the quests that actually progress the story, then I will be one of the first people back.

I'd recommend playing monk since you're interested in Samurai. If you do get to 60 and gear up before the expansion, that gear will be used by Samurai and will likely be better than the starting gear they get.

If you only get to 50 before Stormblood, you'll be able to access Samurai, which also starts at 50, and could play it up through Heavensward and then into Stormblood.

I don't think it takes THAT long to get through the MSQ. I just recently redid it on an alt. Took me maybe 4 or 5 days (long weekend play sessions and 2 hours a few nights on the weekdays) to get from the end of 2.x into 3.0. I skipped some cut scenes, but watched a good chunk of them just to remember things, primarily involving Crystal Braves and the Domans as those interested me most.

I've started working said alt through Heavensward and after a couple evenings I'm about 20 quests in and there's 97 for the main Heavensward quest before patch MSQ (which are even shorter in HW).

Quote Originally Posted by jebus138 View Post
    ^^ is the reason I stopped playing...I understand the story is an important part of FF14 (and I really like the story) but having to do 100+ filler quests, and maybe 10 that actually progress the story after hitting lvl50 was too much. I enjoyed the game, but didn't want to be forced into weeks worth of "story" quests, just to get into heavensward...

If they fix this and only have you do the quests that actually progress the story, then I will be one of the first people back.
    That's a shame to hear because the HW stuff is so amazing and you can marathon through most of the tedious stuff post 50 in ARR in a couple of days. Yeah, it does get boring, pick up for awhile then get boring again but the final stretch is pretty awesome.

they are your money makers, especially at expansion launches

15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda late, but make sure to make an au ra to be as cute as possible.

I would say only worry about them if you have already finished the main story. In my opinion they are not super important atm unless you want to make some money.

Crafting is its own beast, and with Stormblood, there will be a different breed of that beast that isn't reliant on ARR/HW. You will still have to level them, but tbh, until you are max level for a bit and see the other content, you won't really have time or the understanding of what crafting can and can't do for you. In HW, you could specialize in 2 crafts. You could pick 2 that compliment the gear you will use and choose to level those slowly beside your battle class/job, but don't go overboard.

I just came back after leaving HW at the "Heavensward" quest, and I'm moving pretty quickly through the MSQ that they patched in after. Pre-50 MSQ is probably about 2.5 times as long to get through as all of HW, but you will be leveling/getting gear from it so its not as tedious as it sounds. If I remember right, you only need to go off on sidequests to get the level you need to continue the MSQ. There a TON of options for things to do to get EXP besides just side quests. Quarrymill has the entrance to the Palace of the Dead, which can net you two different weapons. Unlocking the MSQ stuff will also help unlock the roulettes which will give you a good way to make tomestones for gear at 50 and 60.

I think I'm with the gentleman above on Samurai. If you are focused on that as a goal, then 50 is all you need, and you can do HW/other stuff after SB drops to level/get gear.