Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

"Autistic"...the new "retard"?

Back in the day when someone did something stupid you could call them retarded, however nowadays that is seen as a major faux pas, and it's heavily fallen out of favor. For a while there was no real replacement, but lately I've noticed more and more that "autistic" is stepping up to take its place. I mean I think the *autistic screeching* meme is the biggest example of this. Whoever made this meme couldn't say "retarded screeching" so they had to go with autistic.

My problem with this is that using autism as a substitute for retard is just factually wrong. Autism is a spectrum...and most of the people who have it aren't at the level of "autistic screeching", not even close. For a lot of people autism basically means #1 You have trouble interpreting social cues and #2 you have extremely specific and intense interests. Most people you meet who have autism you wouldn't know they have it.

But I think more to the point is this...if you are using the word to reference severely autistic people then there is literally no difference between using the word "autistic" and "retarded"...people have just basically found a new way to say the same thing, but it doesn't have the social stigma around it yet so they feel fine saying it. My advice? Just don't use it...because if you're uncomfortable calling someone "retarded" then logically you should have the same moral qualms about calling someone "autistic".

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 someone calls Lemons autistic.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    inb4 someone calls Lemons autistic.
    I mean...bro...look at my animu avatar. You know that shit is true.

The only similarity is how flippantly they're used. If you use them interchangeably, you're an autistic retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    "lately"

Also something being "retarded" and something being "autistic" mean two completely different things.
    This. Someone says something dumb, retarded.
    Someone completely glosses over obvious sarcasm, misses a social queue, spergs out way more than necessary, autistic.

People don't want to stop saying things like this. It isn't that they were naive and don't realize that it pretty much lands in the same ballpark as the term "retarded". Those who use it are just douchebags who think it is funny and don't care if the term "autistic" and "retard" really have the same level offense.

Inb4 the eyeroll responses about the misinterpreted 'right' to total freedom of speech, as well as choosing not to be offended by the words and actions of others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    The only similarity is how flippantly they're used. If you use them interchangeably, you're an autistic retard.
    This pretty much sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

You can be autistic and smarter than the majority of the population, just fyi.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    New? I was using that term back in High School. That was over 2 decades ago. Nothing 'new' about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Oddly I've never experienced this previously. In fact most people I've known have used Autistic as a descriptor for someone who has severely lacking social skills, but has disturbing levels of talent and focus with regards to one particular thing, where as the more flippant use of retard is typically used to describe someone suffering from literal mental retardation, the literal term for someone who's mind and intelligence are simply not caught up to the physical age of their body.

Using either one of those terms flippantly in the company of people who aren't used to your in jokes, methods of speech etc is obviously rude as hell (Because you never know if the person your talking to has a handicapped brother or something at home they have to take care of) but honestly, much like people who look left EVERY TIME YOU SAY RIGHT, there are some words we learn young and use in a specific context that spill out unintentionally in daily conversation that well likely never be rid of, until the next generation comes along with different in grown language. I already hardly understand half the shit younger kids say.

Deleted
    People used to say retard allot because it was the actual name for people who had a low IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Back in the day when someone did something stupid you could call them retarded, however nowadays that is seen as a major faux pas, and it's heavily fallen out of favor. For a while there was no real replacement, but lately I've noticed more and more that "autistic" is stepping up to take its place. I mean I think the *autistic screeching* meme is the biggest example of this. Whoever made this meme couldn't say "retarded screeching" so they had to go with autistic.

My problem with this is that using autism as a substitute for retard is just factually wrong. Autism is a spectrum...and most of the people who have it aren't at the level of "autistic screeching", not even close. For a lot of people autism basically means #1 You have trouble interpreting social cues and #2 you have extremely specific and intense interests. Most people you meet who have autism you wouldn't know they have it.

But I think more to the point is this...if you are using the word to reference severely autistic people then there is literally no difference between using the word "autistic" and "retarded"...people have just basically found a new way to say the same thing, but it doesn't have the social stigma around it yet so they feel fine saying it. My advice? Just don't use it...because if you're uncomfortable calling someone "retarded" then logically you should have the same moral qualms about calling someone "autistic".
    Autistic was "the new 'retard'" from day one. It was never different in essence.

It's also pretty cute that you think there's any sense behind internet insults. They're just meant to be insulting, and clearly they work very well with you. That is why they're said.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    New? I was using that term back in High School. That was over 2 decades ago. Nothing 'new' about it.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...1&smoothing=10

While that might be the case "autistic" has definitely been trending upwards lately. Meanwhile "retard" has been trending down.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    It's also pretty cute that you think there's any sense behind internet insults. They're just meant to be insulting, and clearly they work very well with you. That is why they're said.
    Nah, I can't really be harmed by internet insults after spending years in the deepest saltmines (League)...I'm more talking about irl where things can sting a little bit more.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2017-04-02 at 08:05 AM.

If someone keeps starting threads with the same topic over and over and later on they admit they're autistic, it's not surprising.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Nah, I can't really be harmed by internet insults after spending years in the deepest saltmines (League)...I'm more talking about irl where things can sting a little bit more.
    I've never heard someone call someone autistic IRL as an insult, and saying retard is pretty rare as well, and mostly glossed over when it happens unless you're around people with incredibly thin skin.

Why are you talking about internet insults happening IRL? Seems like it does offend you and that's just dodging.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2017-04-02 at 08:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If someone keeps starting threads with the same topic over and over and later on they admit they're autistic, it's not surprising.
    All I can see is spaceships and cheerleaders.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work with people who society would call "retarded" or "autistic". Reality is that society doesn't know or care how to classify people who aren't within whats considered "normal". None of my clients are "retarded" but their own neighbors might call them "retarded" because they don't know or care about the distinctions of mental conditions.
    Theres actually a number of processes that my clients have to go through to no be classified competent adults. I can take my clients out in public and the most independent one could get away with bloody murder people most people just see him as a "retard" even though he is more capable than most people at realizing the consequences of his actions.

To be "autistic" is to lie on a spectrum that ranges from being dependent to highly independent. Most people don't give a shit about the specifics, walk funny/talking funny? You're "retarded" and "autistic" is just a nicer term nowadays despite the actual clinical and legal definitions.

With that saids. Memes are memes. Don't take them as factional or politically correct in nature.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are you talking about internet insults happening IRL? Seems like it does offend you and that's just dodging.
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I mean...someone out there is saying it apparently.

But to be real...no...I don't hear it irl very often at all, but I do see it as a rising insult that is kind of being shoehorned into the role that "retard" used to fill. I'm just trying to explain that it's really just as bad.

I mean...someone out there is saying it apparently.

But to be real...no...I don't hear it irl very often at all, but I do see it as a rising insult that is kind of being shoehorned into the role that "retard" used to fill. I'm just trying to explain that it's really just as bad.
    And my original point was the fact that people think it's just as bad is THE reason it's being used. People taking offense is the reason insults are used, that's pretty much insults 101. Congratulations, you're part of the reason 'autistic' is an insult. How does that make you feel?

15+ Year Old Account
    And my original point was the fact that people think it's just as bad is THE reason it's being used. People taking offense is the reason insults are used, that's pretty much insults 101. Congratulations, you're part of the reason 'autistic' is an insult. How does that make you feel?
    No, the basic premise of the word is insulting. It's a mental deficiency...calling someone mentally deficient is always going to be an insult no matter how we take it. That logic sort of works with "fuck", but it doesn't really work here. Sorry.