10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year

Need a macro that will switch target if it exist?

Basically trying to do this:

> Bursting down a boss w/ Frostbolt spam
    > Add spawns
    > Once i hit my frostbolt macro, instead of targeting the boss it automatically switches to add
    > Once add dies, targets the boss again

Is this possible?

Code:
    /tar boss-name
    /tar add-name
    /cast frostbolt
    Last edited by tordenflesk; 2017-04-03 at 09:47 PM.

If the names are fixed and known in advance that could work.
    Otherwise I don't think you can.

I would also consider a mouseover macro, or setting boss as focus as you can switch back to that with /tar focus (I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    Code:
    /tar add-name
    /tar boss-name
    /cast frostbolt
    You'd want to reverse the targeting order of that. With fall-through logic, the highest priority target should be the last in the last.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    You'd want to reverse the targeting order of that. With fall-through logic, the highest priority target should be the last in the last.
    If you reverse it, you'll be targeting the boss over the add?! Adds must die 1st!! 90% of the time! Don't reverse it!

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    If you reverse it, you'll be targeting the boss over the add?! Adds must die 1st!! 90% of the time! Don't reverse it!
    Look at the quote, not at the post he quoted. The post got edited.

The add should be the second /tar or you will just retarget the boss right after targeting the add. Which defeats the whole purpos of the macro.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

If you trust someone else in the group to switch to adds correctly, you can actually target THEM and use

/use [harm][@targettarget]Firewall

You will hit whatever they are targetting as long as you can damage it. Ive always wanted to experiment with this in raids where i have one "trusted" DPS who always targets the correct mob. Everyone else must use that macro unless the trusted dps dies. In theory forcing everyone to use that macro makes the entire raid INSTANTLY switch to the add. If i were looking for a dps to trust, id start by looking at logs and seeing who did the most dps vs adds.

I suppose you can add a second line to the macro:

/use [@focus] Firewall

I think with the second line, if the first condition fails, it falls thru and attacks your focus target. You would then set the focus to be the boss.

Basically this creates a NEW role in the raid. A dps that must always be targetting correctly. I dunno what id call it. "Trusted dps" or "bus driver" or something.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-04-10 at 11:51 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ive always wanted to experiment with this in raids where i have one "trusted" DPS who always targets the correct mob.
    There is no bosses in the current tier, as far as I am aware. But there have been many times where you need to split dps between different adds. So this isn't a very good idea, atleast not to hardcode it into every spell as I understand you want.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Can this be done with the exploding adds in mythic+?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Can this be done with the exploding adds in mythic+?
    Only if you have a consistent name you can swap back to afterwards
    Or maybe something like:
    Code:
    /tar whatever-the-exploding-things-are-called
    /cast SPELLNAME
    /Targetlasttarget
    But it'll swap you around all the time