10+ Year Old Account

I don't understand mob spawning and light

I'm new to the game, but I know the basics: Mobs don't spawn in light. Found a big mountain and started hollowing it out to be my shelter. I leave during the day to find wood. Come back, and there's an Enderman in my room.

I've got torches all over the place. I thought these things couldn't spawn in light?
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm new to the game, but I know the basics: Mobs don't spawn in light. Found a big mountain and started hollowing it out to be my shelter. I leave during the day to find wood. Come back, and there's an Enderman in my room.

I've got torches all over the place. I thought these things couldn't spawn in light?

It takes a certain light level. Torches are only bright enough for about 5-7 blocks.

Are you using a mod pack? Does it have NEI? Try pressing f7 to see light levels.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Light

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    It takes a certain light level. Torches are only bright enough for about 5-7 blocks.

Are you using a mod pack? Does it have NEI? Try pressing f7 to see light levels.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Light
    Nah, it's just the baseline game, on XBox. But thanks. I've got plenty of torches.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

I think endermen are their own thing. I think torches are 14 lumens and lose 1 lumen per block, mobs spawn at 7, that I know. I looked all this up because I couldn't figure out why my castle turrets were spawning zombies, I had them hollow to save on building material.

I have a huge hollowed out cave and in one area, a mob will spawn now and then at a certain spot even though I surrounded that ting with torches.

I started playing too on my xbox one then I picked up this year, I am surprised how much fun I had building things.

The key is "Enderman". They teleport. What most likely happened is he spawned in a nearby cave, then teleported into your base. The only way you can prevent this is keep your base only 2 blocks high (Endermen are 3 blocks tall).