Page 1 of 2
LastLast

M Aluriel vs. M Krosus post 7.2

With the array of nerfs to these encounters, which boss do you think is easier overall?

What are the advantages and disadvantages for each option and compositional/output requirements?

We were incredibly close to a kill on krosus before the patch(0.8% closest wipe), and after the patch the boss just fell over. The new traits give you a ton more dps because everyone has 54 traits now, and their best traits are +1 often as well. The mechanics are not hard, and now the dps check isnt steep anymore either.

We're progressing on Spellblade now, and that boss has a few nice mechanic checks with the frostmarks, & the firepatch placings. I dont think it's much of a dps check, but it definitely is (imo) harder than Krosus now.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

Krosus is definitely easier since the main relevant issue (dps check) is much less of an issue. While you can 'manage' multiple fuckups with Mark of Frost on aluriel and piece by now, you still need to for the most part be executing a fight which has much more involved execution than krosus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

throughput requirement on aluriel is much lower, so if you're concerned you won't be able to swing the dps for krosus you might start there

that said the dps req for krosus is no longer particularly strenuous and it's a much simpler mechanics fight

do you have decent healers? do you have a few ranged that can watch debuffs? -spellblade

do you have decent damage? do you have a whole raid that understands if you soak puddles you win? -krosus

Krosus damage check gets easier with more weeks, spellblade mechanics stay rather static. This also means Krosus is easier to put on farm status.
    The only nice thing about spellblade is that the "hardest" phase is first, so all your progression is frontloaded and you get more attempts in quicker.

I'd go Krosus first if I had to redo progression.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    With the array of nerfs to these encounters, which boss do you think is easier overall?

What are the advantages and disadvantages for each option and compositional/output requirements?
    Krosus is now easy as cake. The only hard part was the enrage timer, which is now trivial.

Aluriel, despite also very easy, still requires proper execution.

Deleted
    You can mess up a lot more on Aluriel with less impact. You'll struggle a lot more on Krosus with a quarter of your raid dead. Krosus dance also takes longer for the average person to memorise.

I'd actually say spellblade is easier to progress.

You aren't going to wipe to enrage on krosus. You are going to wipe loads to single people fucking up and getting hit by a beam and breaking bridges. Once you've got this out of the way you are going to wipe loads to bad soaks. More deaths than you have resses above (say 35%) and its a wipe. You won't meet the dps check.

Quote Originally Posted by teezep View Post
    You can mess up a lot more on Aluriel with less impact. You'll struggle a lot more on Krosus with a quarter of your raid dead. Krosus dance also takes longer for the average person to memorise.
    Joggling the frost marks and detonate on Aluriel seemed a lot more dancing to me a few days back when I was there for the 1st time. Maybe we are trying here with an old, deprecated tactic.

Krosus has been fairly easy for us from the start, provided people remembered to run before the bridge breaks xD Spellblade used to be a mess where frost marks and detonate were concerned, although we have it down pat now

We finally got round to Spellblade last night after doing Krosus & Botanist as we lacked a fifth healer.

We 4 healed the encounter and once we had mastered the frost phase she just fell over. I believe it took us less than 2 hours and about 13 pulls. It is very, very easy since the nerfs.

For the frost phase, split your ranged (you will need at least 8) and set up four markers in a square formation in front of the stairs close to the Fountain, ensuring they all fit within a druid's efflorescence. Have the first two marks go to the left hand markers - in our case Blue/Orange, with one person standing on blue and 1 standing on orange. Break on 11 stacks. Ensure that you have at least 2 un-marked players per side ready to take the jumps; if it goes to melee just have them step away from the boss onto the marker. You may need to swap players to different sides to keep the balance, but if you just assign some mobile dps to keep track of this, it shouldn't be a problem.

Repeat the same on the other side and just keep the marks rolling onto the square. Have those that are not marked move off the markers quickly and those that are marked moving back on. Don't worry about detonating one set early, just always blow the marks at 11 stacks. When void zones spawn, just take a couple of steps to the left/right and carry on.

Everything else is incredibly easy. Keep fire adds interrupted and separated and backpedal to place the Arcane adds close together. Use healing cooldowns to survive the lashes. Once you have the Frost phase down, the boss will die very soon after.

Spellblade is still easier than Krosus.

Spellblade there is really only one phase you have to learn, the frost phase. The fire and arcane are really easy phases. Once the frost phase is good, its a kill like 5 pulls later.

Krosus, you have learn the entire fight; first burning pitch, 2nd burning pitch, 3rd burning pitch, slam orb overlaps, 4th pitch.

Both fights are really about having your ranged/healers execute mechanics properly. With Krosus they have to soak and kill any stray adds in the back ASAP or the raid wipes. With spellblade they have to execute correctly on frost.

This is actually the case with most of the fights in NH - ranged have a much higher mechanical burden than melee.

Spellblade took us less time to kill post nerfs but I feel that it's a touchier fight than Krosus just because of positioning errors during frost phase. Krosus is more straightforward - the only random element is the placement of the burning pitches. With Krosus the first two burning pitches are the most challenging sections of the fight. The pitch/slam combo towards the end can also stress healer thoroughput but when he starts doing double beams the fight is mostly over as long as almost everyone is alive.

Both bosses get a big difficulty downgrade when you have higher DPS, but Spellblade probably gets even easier with more output than Krosus because you get to skip the second fire phase when you have a lot of damage, whereas with Krosus the most challenging part of the fight can't be outgeared yet at this stage.

If I were starting fresh though I'd start with Spellblade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Both Spellblade and Tichondrius are easier then Krosus.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Krosus has become, Can you run your dps rotation while occasionally moving for 5 minutes.
    Spellblade has become, can you do mechanics while occasionally doing dps for 6 minutes.

I actually think spellblade is easier because if you can manage your mark of frosts out in range she just falls over because of how hard melee is hitting right now.

Krosus by a long shot. Barely requires any mechanics other than dodging a laser beam. You can even totally fail at add soaking and have one or two people die and he'll still die with plenty of time to spare.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure View Post
    Krosus by a long shot. Barely requires any mechanics other than dodging a laser beam. You can even totally fail at add soaking and have one or two people die and he'll still die with plenty of time to spare.
    You must have quite an interesting definition of "totally fail at add soaking". Doing that, especially at wave 2 or 4, will be a wipe, no questions asked. Sure, getting 7 instead of 4 is doable, but that's not "totally failing".

Spellblade is a joke now took us 20 pulls. Tich is also a joke and we 5 healed that progression kill in under 30 pulls. Botanist however which we got week 1 of 7.2 took us about 100 lol

We killed Tich last week for the first time (he mostly fell over), this week we killed him with 2 dead almost the entire fight, and a third dying as a suicide soaker. Its not a mechanically heavy fight, so if you have a good burst cleave class like a ret pally or a windwalker monk hes a good contender for boss #4 as well.

Deleted
    M Krosus for sure, the DPS check is a joke.