Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Clinton: 'Misogyny played a role' in 2016

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-2016-election

Former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said on Thursday that misogyny "played a role" her 2016 defeat.

"Certainly, misogyny played a role," Clinton said at the Women of the World Summit in New York. "I mean, that just has to be admitted. And why and what the underlying reasons were is what I'm trying to parse out myself."

Her comments marked a rare reflection by Clinton on a presidential contest that many pundits and pollsters expected her to win with ease. In a question and answer session, the former secretary of state painted the election cycle as a period of overwhelming change and tumult, and said that the prospect of electing the first woman president may have exacerbated a sense of uncertainty among many voters.

"I think in this election there was a very real struggle between what is viewed as change that is welcomed and exciting to so many Americans, and change which is worrisome and threatening to so many others," Clinton said. "And you layer on the first woman president over that and I think some people, women included, had real problems."

Clinton was the first woman nominated as a presidential candidate by one of the country's two major political parties. But despite high polling numbers, Clinton suffered a shocking loss to President Trump in November.
    The core of identity politics. It's never your fault, it's always your opponents who are bigots. Trumps re-election is almost certain since the democrats have chosen not to correct their course.

Hillary is an idiot. Women have been elected to positions of power throughout the country, she even "won" her parties nomination. Shut up women you lost, maybe next time dont be so shady and run a legit campaign.

I am so sick of this shit: if I didn't want to vote for Hillary, then CLEARLY it's simply because I have a problem with the idea of a female president. Of course, by that same logic, I must think that all Latinos are unfunny and terrible comedians, since I hate Carlos Mencia.

Deleted
    Hillary just doesnt get why people don't like her..

I can tell her right now, if Michelle Obama had run she wouldve won and she's also a women.

The only people who care about what Hillary has to say these days are conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Hillary just doesnt get why people don't like her..

I can tell her right now, if Michelle Obama had run she wouldve won and she's also a women.
    Yes, that would probably be an easy win.
    It's a tad sad though. A charismatic person wins over a competent one, any day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes, that would probably be an easy win.
    It's a tad sad though. A charismatic person wins over a competent one, any day.
    That's just how humanity works tbh. Even the earliest records of democracy showed that the most popular person wins, not the best one.

Hillary simply has zero charisma and she has to try really hard to even make it look like she's human sometimes. The problem with her is that she just doesnt get this.

That's just how humanity works tbh. Even the earliest records of democracy showed that the most popular person wins, not the best one.

Hillary simply has zero charisma and she has to try really hard to even make it look like she's human sometimes. The problem with her is that she just doesnt get this.
    I agree. I just think it's a bit sad. Not that she lost but how we vote at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usual suspects. She didn't say misogyny was the reason she lost, she only said that it contributed to it - which, apparently, is true, unless you believe that there are 0 voters for which her gender played a role in their decision, which simply is unrealistic. Same way, man-hating contributed negatively to the number of votes for Trump. Calm your tits and accept the reality!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I am so sick of this shit: if I didn't want to vote for Hillary, then CLEARLY it's simply because I have a problem with the idea of a female president. Of course, by that same logic, I must think that all Latinos are unfunny and terrible comedians, since I hate Carlos Mencia.
    Saying that misogyny played a role isn't the same as saying that everyone who voted against Hillary was a misogynist. Similarly there was clear support for Trump from racists and white supremacists, that doesn't mean all Trump supporters are racists.

It makes it very difficult to discuss or tackle social issues when overly-sensitive snowflakes like yourself take everything so personally, before bursting into tears (very appropriate avatar by the way) try stepping back and asking if a statement is actually being directed at you, or if you're just putting yourself at the center of things to feed your victim mentality.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2017-04-07 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Hillary is an idiot. Women have been elected to positions of power throughout the country, she even "won" her parties nomination. Shut up women you lost, maybe next time dont be so shady and run a legit campaign.
    Women are still only 20% of the legislature in DC though, and there are Muslim countries that have had female heads of state before us.

I'm not saying that opposing (candidate) makes one sexist, or that we should vote for someone because they are a woman, but the days where women were expected to not have careers or be leaders are getting farther and farther behind us. If we continue onward, with women underrepresented at high levels of governance and still find ourselves having never had a woman leading us, we at least need to ask ourselves why.

The numbers will in all likelihood even out over time. By the time Millennials are as old as Boomers are today, this may not even be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The only people who care about what Hillary has to say these days are conservatives.
    I really just want her to stay in the woods for the good of the Democratic Party.

Hillary was the most popular person though, and other than Obama she got more votes than any candidate in 30 years.

I feel like she got more votes than she would have if she didn't try the whole first woman president thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Women are still only 20% of the legislature in DC though, and there are Muslim countries that have had female heads of state before us.

I'm not saying that opposing (candidate) makes one sexist, or that we should vote for someone because they are a woman, but the days where women were expected to not have careers or be leaders are getting farther and farther behind us. If we continue onward, with women underrepresented at high levels of governance and still find ourselves having never had a woman leading us, we at least need to ask ourselves why.

The numbers will in all likelihood even out over time. By the time Millennials are as old as Boomers are today, this may not even be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I really just want her to stay in the woods for the good of the Democratic Party.
    Stop putting forward cunts like Clinton then? Anyone else would have won vs Trump, like literally anyone else.
    Maybe the cleaning lady from the 2nd floor?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Hillary was the most popular person though, and other than Obama she got more votes than any candidate in 30 years.
    She wasnt popular. Her party was/is popular and Trumps and his party was not popular amongst these people.

People didn't vote for Hillary, they either voted for the Democrats or against the Republicans.

Deleted
    No Clinton, you lost cause you're a glitching servant representative of everything that is bad about the US. If you had any sort of charisma whatsoever you might have made a point but you're as bland as it gets.
    There was one candidate and only one candidate that could have lost against Trump. The democrats made sure to push her forward.

She wasnt popular. Her party was/is popular and Trumps and his party was not popular amongst these people.

People didn't vote for Hillary, they either voted for the Democrats or against the Republicans.
    Alright we'll save the deeper analysis for you sociology course, when I said she was popular I meant she won the popular vote and (for whatever reason) had the support of more people than Trump.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Alright we'll save the deeper analysis for you sociology course, when I said she was popular I meant she won the popular vote and (for whatever reason) had the support of more people than Trump.
    I agree with you, just saying that the democrats wouldve had a president in the white house if they nominated someone else to run.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Stop putting forward cunts like Clinton then? Anyone else would have won vs Trump, like literally anyone else.
    Maybe the cleaning lady from the 2nd floor?
    I tried: I caucused for Bernie.

Anyway, my point was about the bigger picture, not about whether specific candidates win or lose. Hillary lost because enough people don't like her, but if in 10 years, women are still only 20% of the legislature, we have to ask ourselves why. Are most of the women who run for office just unlikeable? Are women only about 20% of candidates to begin with? Or do we need to look at the way we view women in our society?

Like I said, I think it's likely that this will self-correct in a generation or so.

Wasn't she just handed the nomination from her party because the head of the DNC just wanted to show how hip they were with women in positions of power? There wasn't even an honest attempt to allow the left to vote from their series of candidates for the job... Bernie never stood a chance when his party made up his mind before he even started.

That is literally misogyny.