Thread: rush hour

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

rush hour

So I'm curious. In big cities they have "rush hour." I'm assuming that means like 5 in the afternoon when people go home and in the morning when people goto work. But traffic during rush hour moves like pond water. Why do they call it rush hour when it takes forever to get where you're going?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyone is in a rush to get home, causing backups.

Its typically from 630 - 8am and from 4 - 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Hammer, meet thy nail.

I personally leave my house at about 5:10-15 AM so I can beat the morning "rush hour". And generally try to leave work at around 4:00 or so. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later depending on my appointment schedule. I work in a large metropolitan area though. Our rush hour is 6am - 6 pm depending on if you are going inbound or outbound.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-07 at 08:40 PM.

Lol these tiny rush hour windows.

In SoCal, rush hour starts around 5:30AM and ends around 9PM. There's a small window from about 11am to 1pm where it's not god-awful, but is still worse than pretty much any where else.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post

In SoCal, rush hour starts around 5:30AM and ends around 9PM. There's a small window from about 11am to 1pm where it's not god-awful, but is still worse than pretty much any where else.
    Traffic dies down during lunch?

Rush tends to be about 4-6pm here.

Not really bad in the morning, not even in the city areas. But in the afternoon 10min can turn into an hour easily. Its mostly slow drivers hogging the left, people not allowing merges, and people riding other peoples asses that cause the most delays.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Traffic dies down during lunch?

Rush tends to be about 4-6pm here.

Not really bad in the morning, not even in the city areas. But in the afternoon 10min can turn into an hour easily. Its mostly slow drivers hogging the left, people not allowing merges, and people riding other peoples asses that cause the most delays.
    Not that it "dies down". It merely shifts from bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic, to meandering at like 5 mph the whole time.

I used to live 8 miles from my job, morning commute was about 1 hour, afternoon around 1.5 hours if I took freeways. The only real option was to take surface streets.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I'm curious. In big cities they have "rush hour." I'm assuming that means like 5 in the afternoon when people go home and in the morning when people goto work. But traffic during rush hour moves like pond water. Why do they call it rush hour when it takes forever to get where you're going?
    Why do I call it my "driveway" when I mostly just park my car on it? And they call the road a ways over a "Parkway" when I mostly drive on it?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

It's the fucking worst ever. I live right on the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan. NJ and NYC traffic during "rush hour" is ridiculous. 1 10 min drive can take over an hour. To many fucking people here.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    4:30pm - 6:30pm, here. At least, in the cities near here, which are like an hour away. >.>
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account

Well California is special that way

Although some parts of Texas can be as bad. I35 through downtown Austin can be bad even at 11am, and Houston is ALWAYS bad. DFW and San ANtonio are fine though

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Here in Fort Myers, about 700AM-900AM and again from 430-630ish.

The longer wait-time is caused by a ton of people rushing to wherever it is they have to go at once.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Here in Fort Myers, about 700AM-900AM and again from 430-630ish.

The longer wait-time is caused by a ton of people rushing to wherever it is they have to go at once.
    Same here. Im fortunate enough to be able to avoid it completely. Complete waste of time.

This always confused me when I was younger- 'no, we're not going to [place] right now, it's rush hour'

Well wtf, sounds like the perfect time to go somewhere to me!
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live IN Melbourne in Australia, even our Rush Hours aren't that intense. The pros of good city planning maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

I live in Los Angeles County, and rush hour here is from 5AM to 10AM, and 2PM to 8PM. If you live deep in LA, the freeways are perpetually packed at all times, no matter what time it is. I'm not exaggerating. LA traffic is horrific.

I am fortunate in that the morning rush hour flows into my city and the evening rush flows away from it while my personal travel is the exact opposite. I often find myself witness to bumper to bumper traffic in the opposing lanes while I drive by without such encumbrance.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

In Los Angels you see people eating cereal and reading the newspaper as they drive during the morning commute, sometimes driving 70+ miles per hour bumper to bumper. It caused me a lot of stress until I got used to it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I used to live 8 miles from my job, morning commute was about 1 hour, afternoon around 1.5 hours if I took freeways. The only real option was to take surface streets.
    Crikey.

This sort of thing is why I always wonder what people mean when they say "I live an hour from work."

I'll admit I also wonder what city people think when I say "I've got to go into town."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    I live in Los Angeles County, and rush hour here is from 5AM to 10AM, and 2PM to 8PM. If you live deep in LA, the freeways are perpetually packed at all times, no matter what time it is. I'm not exaggerating. LA traffic is horrific.
    I just googled LA traffic. How in the actual hell do you drive in that?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I just googled LA traffic. How in the actual hell do you drive in that?
    There's a reason people I know have coffee makers in their cars.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.