Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author

As Scotland pushes for a second referendum on independence, one man is asking the previously unthinkable - if you're going quit the UK, why not join Canada?

Canadian writer Ken McGoogan says the unorthodox alliance makes sense.

"I think it would be terrific for both Scotland and Canada," he says.

McGoogan first laid out his proposal in an opinion piece published in Canadian newspaper the Globe and Mail, where he argued that advancements in telecommunication technology and transatlantic travel have rendered pesky things like geographical boundaries "irrelevant".

Besides, he points out, Scotland is closer to Newfoundland than Hawaii is to California.

Last week, the Scottish Parliament voted in favour of asking the UK government to allow a legally-binding referendum on independence.

Mr McGoogan says he sympathises with the angst that many Scots are feeling over Britain's decision to leave the EU.

"The Scots aren't happy right now, and I don't think they're being treated especially well."

Mr McGoogan says that if Scotland were to join Canada, it would enjoy a lot more independence and hold a lot more power than it currently does with Great Britain.

Scotland would be Canada's third largest province, with 5.3 million people, which would give it significant political sway. Add to that the millions of Canadians who, like Mr McGoogan, have Scottish ancestry, and you'd have a national-ethnic bloc about 10m strong, he reasons.

More importantly, Canadian provinces are in charge of more aspects of governance than Scotland has been afforded as part of the UK.

Canadian provinces are in charge of their own courts, health-care, systems and educational institutions. Some provinces also have their own immigration programmes, a fact that has already piqued the interest of a number of British and Scottish MPs.

Brexit "would never happen in Canada," Mr McGoogan argues, without the permission of all the provinces.

But the arrangement wouldn't only benefit Scotland, he argues. By making Scotland Canada's 11th province, Canada would gain a foothold in Europe. Far from abandoning any future Scottish bid for the EU, Mr McGoogan argues that Scotland could apply to join with Canada.

Mr McGoogan's ideas may shock some, and would certainly require years of back-and-forth negotiations with both Scotland and the UK, he readily admits.

"This is a flight of fancy," he said. "In an ideal world, this might work really well."

As the author of How the Scots Invented Canada and Celtic Lightning, Mr McGoogan has made a career of understanding the historic ties that bind Scotland and Canada.

Scotland had a "major, major hand" in creating the political culture in Canada, he says, as well as its educational and banking institutions.

More than half of Canada's prime ministers have claimed Scottish heritage, as did many other prominent figures such as Simon Fraser and James McGill.

"The Scots have left their fingerprints all over this country," he says.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39510351

Really good idea. I'd have to see some cold hard facts to ensure they won't be hurting us but at first glance, I would welcome a territory on the other side of the pond.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind this at all. In fact I think countries should merge willingly more often, in the spirit of cooperation.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    "The Scots aren't happy right now, and I don't think they're being treated especially well."
    As a Scotsman, I an defo not happy at all. Maybe if our parliament would actually discuss running the country instead of "MAH INDEPENDENCE!", then shit would be better. Sooner Westminster takes back full control of Scotland the better.

Deleted
    I agree with this author, let them become a vassal of Canada.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does Canada intent to join the EU?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Ugh I feel bad for Scotland if they do this. Now they'll have to deal with Quebec.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that does sound better than Scotland solo at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Scots have left their fingerprints all over this country,"
    Grubby little buggers, but I suppose that is what happens when you eat greasy food all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Does Canada intent to join the EU?
    Obviously not. We don't need to. We're a North American country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Well, that does sound better than Scotland solo at least.
    But does Canada really want to deal with another province that doesn't speak English? A nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Obviously not. We don't need to. We're a North American country.
    ......and Scotland?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Scots aren't happy right now..."
    Plus ça change.

This article is a goldmine.

Deleted
    I cannot wait until Ireland is the only English speaking country in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    I agree with this author, let them become a vassal of Canada.
    Under Trudeau? I know Englishmen and Scots don't like each other, but this is just cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Scotland would be Canada's Hawaii!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Under Trudeau? I know Englishmen and Scots don't like each other, but this is just cruel.
    I thought Trudeau was false French?

I'd say CANZUK is more likely to happen.

Deleted
    and then we stepped back into reality.

Scotland will make Canada great again.

Oi Canada, piss off, we (the scandinavian countries) saw her first, scotland is ours!

I mean, you're cool and can join the club aswell, but we've had our eyes on scotland for a while now..
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Scotland would be Canada's Hawaii!
    Hawaii: Exotic women in grass skirts.

Scotland: Fat ginger men in kilts.