Lightbulb Pet Battles: making it better!

The big incentive to pet battling in WoW is that you can take on the appearance of your pet using the magic pet mirror. You can wear it in battle by then using ai-li's skymirror on yourself after using the magic pet mirror, however, the skymirror gives you a shimmer effect and it lasts for only 10 minutes per hour. So while its really cool to look like the nightmare treat (a blackened treant with red glowing eyes and red claws), its still a shimmer and just for 10 minutes.

Blizzard can provide LOTS of incentive by gating some improved magic pet mirror toys into the pet battle achievements.

Proposed new rewards:

Achievement level 1: Complete the following acehivements: That's a Lot of Pet Food (collect 400 pets), World Safari, Broken Isles Safari, and Family Familiar

Reward: An upgraded version of the magic pet mirror toy that persists in combat. (lasts 10 minutes, but NO shimmer like you get with the skymirror)

Achievement level 2: Complete Achievement level 1, Wailing Critters, collect all Wailing Critters pets, Celestial Family, earn the Tamer Crazy Cat Lady/Man, and Zookeeper titles

Reward: Another upgraded version of the magic pet mirror toy that persists in combat and lasts 30 minutes instead of 10.

As they add more achievements, pet battle dungeons, and other activities, here are future upgrades to the magic pet mirror:

1. persists in combat, lasts 1 hour instead of 30.
    2. persists in combat, cooldown reduced to 30 minutes, lasts 10 minutes.
    3. persists in combat, cooldown reduced to 10 minutes, lasts 10 miuntes.
    4. persists in combat, makes you TWICE the size of the mirrored pet, lasts 10 minutes, cooldown 1 hour.
    5. persists in combat, 2x size, lasts 30 minutes.
    6. persists in combat, 2x size, lasts 1 hour.
    7. persists in combat, 2x size, cooldown 10 minutes, lasts 10 minutes.
    8. persists in combat, can be used on you OR ANOTHER PLAYER to gift your pet appearance to someone else, lasts 10 minutes, cooldown 1 hour
    8. persists in combat, can gift image to others, lasts 30 minutes

etc, etc

There's lots of uprgades to the mirror you can make, if its done incrementally, which should provide tons of content for people who enjoy the transforms.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    given the intention of pet battles... i should not have to grind for silly tiny changes in how one toy works.

ffs, not everything in this damn game needs to be an astronomical grind.

you catch more flies with honey, than vinegar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    given the intention of pet battles... i should not have to grind for silly tiny changes in how one toy works.

What you consider to be "vinegar" might be honey to someone else. I enjoy farming for things if there's a good end goal I'm interested it.

You can already obtain non-shimmery pet looks in combat using the reflecting prism made by jewelcrafters.

Use Pet mirror -> swap appearances with group member -> right click prism buff -> swap again

Tada

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    What you consider to be "vinegar" might be honey to someone else. I enjoy farming for things if there's a good end goal I'm interested it.
    it doesnt quite matter what one person considers to be vinegar and what they consider to be honey. all that matters is that if using something perceived as honey actually catches more than without.

you like a grind, thats great. we will leave a small grind behind just for people like you, but more people are hating the grind more and more as it begins to infect more and more aspects of the game.

blizzard is creating nice content, they are just inserting far too much grind into each of those aspects for most people to stomach. blizzard needs to abandon the concept of baiting players to keep playing their mains, and recognize that people that enjoy what they've created, will be happy to roll an alt and play it again, if they finished on their mains rather quickly.

thats not to say everyone will do so, but far more people were doing that back in wrath, than they are today.

Cata ~~> Legion has been incrementally more and more debilitating to alts. RNG is to blame. <RNG> and its cohort <grind>, are destroying the game.

again, those concepts have a place within the MMO, just they should be severely crippled from their current infestation if the genre is to survive.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2017-04-09 at 07:38 AM.
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

A lot of people complain that the major meta rewards for pet battles are underwhelming. Most rewards are pets that aren't even that powerful in battle, so they mostly go unused. Magic Pet Mirror upgrades as major meta rewards would fix that.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

it doesnt quite matter what one person considers to be vinegar and what they consider to be honey. all that matters is that if using something perceived as honey actually catches more than without.

you like a grind, thats great. we will leave a small grind behind just for people like you, but more people are hating the grind more and more as it begins to infect more and more aspects of the game.

blizzard is creating nice content, they are just inserting far too much grind into each of those aspects for most people to stomach. blizzard needs to abandon the concept of baiting players to keep playing their mains, and recognize that people that enjoy what they've created, will be happy to roll an alt and play it again, if they finished on their mains rather quickly.

thats not to say everyone will do so, but far more people were doing that back in wrath, than they are today.

Cata ~~> Legion has been incrementally more and more debilitating to alts. RNG is to blame. <RNG> and its cohort <grind>, are destroying the game.

again, those concepts have a place within the MMO, just they should be severely crippled from their current infestation if the genre is to survive.
    Everything is a grind, it just varies on how much of a grind something is. Or how obsessed people are with seeing things as a "grind"

Aside from AP, there really isn't anything in the game I'd view as a possibly negative grind. And AP becomes a good grind, if you can control yourself and don't feel obligated to constantly farm.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTurtle View Post
    You can already obtain non-shimmery pet looks in combat using the reflecting prism made by jewelcrafters.

Use Pet mirror -> swap appearances with group member -> right click prism buff -> swap again

Tada
    That buff only lasts 5 minutes. So you'd have to keep swapping on a regular basis, which is annoying. Also impossible if you are questing (which is usually done solo).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    A lot of people complain that the major meta rewards for pet battles are underwhelming. Most rewards are pets that aren't even that powerful in battle, so they mostly go unused.
    yes, much of wow is succumbing to grinds as being the only barrier between player and reward. that is detrimental to the health of the game. grinds do serve a purpose, just not every aspect of the game. moderation.. is the key.

Magic Pet Mirror upgrades as major meta rewards would fix that.
    this would do nothing but add more grind. the thing im saying is bad for the health of the game because it is without moderation.

Everything is a grind, it just varies on how much of a grind something is. Or how obsessed people are with seeing things as a "grind"
    this is exactly the problem with the game now. everything has too much grind for the reward offered, however... there isnt anything else to go do or accomplish that doesnt have the same ridiculous amount of grind associated with it.

Aside from AP, there really isn't anything in the game I'd view as a possibly negative grind. And AP becomes a good grind, if you can control yourself and don't feel obligated to constantly farm.
    just because you cant see it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. RNG is horribly disgusting. and grind on RNG's backside is a KO combo. the game will not survive this concept.

RNG has a place in the game, under strict moderation and control. Grind, also has a purpose in the game, under strict moderation and control.

we have seen the game offer us challenge without grind or RNG before. and we have seen the game offer reward with little or no RNG/Grind. this is what the game needs to turn back to.

its ok if something offers a wonderful reward with little to no grind or RNG. because it adds balance to the RNG/Grindy aspects.

the grinds and RNG gates, are needed in certain specific aspects, so complete removal of such would not be wise either. balance and moderation, is key.

to the point, could the pet mirror thingy offer more? surely. id love to see that, i feel it doesnt need to come at a grindy RNG based pace. just add the concepts to the game and be done. there is far too much RNG and grind associated with Pet battles, taking 1 single toy and increasing the grind needed to gain all of its variations would just be another stain on the game.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2017-04-09 at 08:29 AM.

this would do nothing but add more grind. the thing im saying is bad for the health of the game because it is without moderation.
    I think poor grinds are things that ask you do to the exact same thing 500x. Running Maw of Souls 500x is a bad grind. But that's not what I'm asking here. We're talking about beating all of the pet trainers (there are a LOT of them), collecting all pets need to finish other achievements, etc. Its not the same thing over and over.

just because you cant see it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. RNG is horribly disgusting. and grind on RNG's backside is a KO combo. the game will not survive this concept.
    Are you talking about gear rng? Because gear rng isn't really a big deal at all how it is right now. What other rng are you talking about?

I think poor grinds are things that ask you do to the exact same thing 500x. Running Maw of Souls 500x is a bad grind. But that's not what I'm asking here. We're talking about beating all of the pet trainers (there are a LOT of them), collecting all pets need to finish other achievements, etc. Its not the same thing over and over.
    Except it is. Just because you are defeating different trainers and capturing different pets it is still essentially the only thing. The only difference is there is some variety too it, but that is it. It's still a grind which in turn gets to made to be more boring in that you spend more time traveling than you do the activity.

it will be the same like right now, the toy come baseline if u wanna improve it do achivments.

it doesnt take away anything, just add it to ppl that willing to farm for it.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

I think that they're focusing ENOUGH on the battle pets already.

Deleted
    A lot of people complain that the major meta rewards for pet battles are underwhelming. Most rewards are pets that aren't even that powerful in battle, so they mostly go unused. Magic Pet Mirror upgrades as major meta rewards would fix that.
    No it wouldnt!
    I dont want toy enhancement as a pet battle reward thats just silly.

Pet Battles: making it better!
    Remove it entirely.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like pet battles more if I could speed up or skip turn animations entirely. Shit takes fucking forever; one of the reasons I hate turn based RPG bullshit. Especially in Legion where you have a dozen things to do in order to keep up.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I think that they're focusing ENOUGH on the battle pets already.
    I found the pet battle hater in the thread allready.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    Remove it entirely.
    Sorry raids get removed before that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet Battles need more action, more counters in a match and less counterpicking before, one way to do this could be to have all pets on a line and let you chose what pet to use versus what pet all at once instead of swapping pets in and out.

Another thing that could be added would be items that could be thrown on the pets, like potions, scrolls and gadgets, but that would be a bit to much imho, simply having all pets on a line would be enough to add that extra depth and action to improve pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    I would like pet battles more if I could speed up or skip turn animations entirely. Shit takes fucking forever; one of the reasons I hate turn based RPG bullshit. Especially in Legion where you have a dozen things to do in order to keep up.
    I would like it more if they integrated the thing into the app finally. Just make it so you can't battle trainers unless you beat them once or five times or something. Only thing I don't see it being decent at would be capturing, but allowing PvP battles and trainers shouldn't be an issue.