Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient GrillGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Stormwind Auction House.
    Posts
    237

    Gain rating as solo queue,even possible?

    AS the titel says,do any of you play rated solo and actually gain rating? or just two steps forward and then 3 steps back again over and over?

    I find it so frustrating it's insane. I main Mercy and i do my 110% all the time to win,but there's always 1-2 that just don't give a singel fuck about the group and roll a Tor on attack or something silly like that.

    If you solo queue and climb in rating,what's your trick?

  2. #2
    Nope, stuck between 1300 and 1400. If I win two, I lose three and so it goes on.
    I mostly lose because of having a team with bad composition, I rather lose games with a good team than losing unfair messed up games.
    '' Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ''

  3. #3
    The Patient GrillGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Stormwind Auction House.
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    Nope, stuck between 1300 and 1400. If I win two, I lose three and so it goes on.
    I mostly lose because of having a team with bad composition, I rather lose games with a good team than losing unfair messed up games.
    I agree,i don't mind losing if it's two teams having a huge battle that's even and ends cuz' one team does a really good counter.
    But 99.9% of the time it's cuz' people are leaving or just don't give a singel fuck about team playing.

    I don't even understand why you join rated if you're there to just be selfish and go for most kills? I mean,quick play is there for you!

  4. #4
    I got my golden gun and stopped playing, you can WIN more then you LOSE but still end up at LOWER SR than where you started which is fucking retarded, I'll come back for events but the game has lost me.

  5. #5
    more like SoloQQ
    Adapt or die.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillGates View Post
    AS the titel says,do any of you play rated solo and actually gain rating? or just two steps forward and then 3 steps back again over and over?

    I find it so frustrating it's insane. I main Mercy and i do my 110% all the time to win,but there's always 1-2 that just don't give a singel fuck about the group and roll a Tor on attack or something silly like that.

    If you solo queue and climb in rating,what's your trick?
    I've made it to Diamond in solo queue, and my best advice is that if you blame your team for losing, you're looking at it the wrong way. Blizzard's matchmaking is actually very good, you are always matched against teams with the exact same rating and ability as you. This means that whatever setbacks you are contending with in any given match are the exact same problems your opponents are facing as well. Your enemy has just as much chance to have "trolls" as you do.

    If you're playing solo queue, you need to look at and focus on the one factor that is consistent in every single match you play: Yourself. Figure out what you could have done differently to turn that loss into a victory. Look at the victories and figure out what you did that made you successful. Often times a person that picks a hero that you aren't comfortable with is a hero that this individual is actually quite proficient with. Be a follower on your team. What I mean by that is, look at what your team is doing - play to your team's strengths. Have a Torbjorn on attack? Play somewhat defensively and take ground slowly. Give your Torb a chance to build his turret on the moving payload, and then defend it with a vengeance. Torbjorn is extremely effect at holding a location, which means once you've gained ground then you're probably going to hold it permanently. Same goes for Symmetra, and Bastion.

    Don't judge people right away for their hero selections, because I'm going to let you in on a secret that most people find a huge stigma: Meta literally doesn't matter until Diamond or higher. Teams at lower skill levels don't utilize meta comps properly, and playing a hero that you're good with is waaaay better than selecting that meta comp fill that you think you need. (Also, teams at that level typically have no idea how to play against a team that is outside of meta, so there's that thought as well.)

    But my biggest advice: If you lose, blame yourself. Not your team. I find this mindset creating more toxicity and losses than anything else.

  7. #7
    Got placed 2300 got to 2911 just soloq, dropped down to 2600, (200 SR was 100% my fault)

    Stop blaming people, if you pick support be prepared to switch to Zen and help your poor hit scan shoot down pharah she is the biggest problem right now in these ranks.

  8. #8
    Solo play & rating? lol, those two words don't go together.

    Join a clan.

  9. #9
    The Patient GrillGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Stormwind Auction House.
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    Got placed 2300 got to 2911 just soloq, dropped down to 2600, (200 SR was 100% my fault)

    Stop blaming people, if you pick support be prepared to switch to Zen and help your poor hit scan shoot down pharah she is the biggest problem right now in these ranks.
    But,the point with rated is that you're supposed to kinda know what to do or at least try your best? The problem is that a lot of people don't give a singel fuck.
    I don't "blame" people for nothing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I got my golden gun and stopped playing, you can WIN more then you LOSE but still end up at LOWER SR than where you started which is fucking retarded, I'll come back for events but the game has lost me.
    Also this.

  10. #10
    solo que left me 60 points above bronze league thanks to my placement matches being shit shows. it's at the point where I dare not do comp in solo from fear of being knocked down there.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillGates View Post
    But,the point with rated is that you're supposed to kinda know what to do or at least try your best? The problem is that a lot of people don't give a singel fuck.
    I don't "blame" people for nothing.
    People don't know what the hell to do even at plat where i am, most diamond players i've played with don't either. You don't learn anything in Quick play because people don't even try over there.

    I've had a few soldier players in my most recent games that picked him, couldn't hit a barn door even with me as zen discording it. They asked to switch i picked soldier and bye bye goes the enemy pharah. Playing Support is harder because your really depended on the team, try the other roles. Check aiming guides etc, the game is a constant journey of improving. If your stuck in a rank well find out what is going wrong.

  12. #12
    The Patient GrillGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Stormwind Auction House.
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    People don't know what the hell to do even at plat where i am, most diamond players i've played with don't either. You don't learn anything in Quick play because people don't even try over there.

    I've had a few soldier players in my most recent games that picked him, couldn't hit a barn door even with me as zen discording it. They asked to switch i picked soldier and bye bye goes the enemy pharah. Playing Support is harder because your really depended on the team, try the other roles. Check aiming guides etc, the game is a constant journey of improving. If your stuck in a rank well find out what is going wrong.
    Yeah i guess it's all about finding a group and do it together only if you wanna enjoy ranked games,it's so sad though since the game is amazing!

    Also,support is the only thing i enjoy in almost every game and the playstyle i'm actually good at so i don't see why i should switch class cuz' other people can't play.
    But yes,i get your point. If i wanna climb in solo queue i guess i would have to switch class.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillGates View Post
    Yeah i guess it's all about finding a group and do it together only if you wanna enjoy ranked games,it's so sad though since the game is amazing!

    Also,support is the only thing i enjoy in almost every game and the playstyle i'm actually good at so i don't see why i should switch class cuz' other people can't play.
    But yes,i get your point. If i wanna climb in solo queue i guess i would have to switch class.
    I didn't tell you to switch anything you can very easily main a role, Support, dps or tank. Mercy is a great hero but she might not actually work 100% of the time. Ana, Zen, Lucio are great. Remember to use the microphone not to argue, if someone is toxic tell them to shut the fuck up and focus on the game. Or just mute them that works too.

    You can nearly control the movement of your team with a microphone when i play ana I'm whipping my Reinhardts rough ordering them around because i have a better field of view.

    Edit: Get a friend to duo queue with, preferable a tank or dps main.

  14. #14
    The Patient GrillGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Stormwind Auction House.
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    I didn't tell you to switch anything you can very easily main a role, Support, dps or tank. Mercy is a great hero but she might not actually work 100% of the time. Ana, Zen, Lucio are great. Remember to use the microphone not to argue, if someone is toxic tell them to shut the fuck up and focus on the game. Or just mute them that works too.

    You can nearly control the movement of your team with a microphone when i play ana I'm whipping my Reinhardts rough ordering them around because i have a better field of view.

    Edit: Get a friend to duo queue with, preferable a tank or dps main.
    I get ya! Thanks for the tips!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillGates View Post
    I get ya! Thanks for the tips!
    Try to keep the enemy ults in your head after awhile you will always have a rough estimate when they might have their ults. When i play Reinhardt and the enemy also have one i roughly always knows when he have his ult. This is also situational but generally don't nano boost your Reinhardt if the enemy has one. It's 90% of the time a free Earth shatter for the enemy Rein.

    People are predictable the careful Pharah is being more brave now flying closer which is an indication that she have her ult ready. Don't be afraid to use your ults it's seriously better to fail and learn then just holding ults in all game waiting for that one perfect dream moment. Don't play the game while tilted i actually recommend you trying out Zarya not to main her but do a few quick plays and a few competitive. Knowing the tanks point of view will make you a better support player. Cheers and have fun learning.

  16. #16
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    45,742
    I got placed at an all-time low of somewhere around 1850 this season (can't recall precisely, somewhere between 1850 and 1875). I'm currently ranked about 2350. And I'm steadily climbing; prior to last night my season high was around 2300.

    I've played just over 100 matches this season in Competitive, too, so I'm not playing a super-high amount, either.

    And that's almost entirely solo queue. I think there were a couple matches where we clicked "Stay as team" after a good match, but that's the only pre-set group play I've had in there.

    So yeah, it's absolutely possible.


    I think what people need to realize is that the ranking system is not a progression system. You aren't supposed to advance through it. You're supposed to get "stuck" at a certain rank. If you rise much above it, you'll generally face players better than you, cause your team to lose, and fall back down. And vice versa, if you dip below it. The system is meant to keep you playing with players at about the same skill level as you, not to let you advance over time, the only way you'd be consistently advancing is if you're consistently playing better than your rank.

    Here's a relatively quick exercise. Track your points won/lost per match for 10 matches or so, and look at the average for each. If you're gaining way more for wins than you're losing for losses, you should be rising in rank over time, with a 50/50 win/loss split (ignoring draws as irrelevant). If you're earning about the same for both wins and losses, you're ranked appropriately, and should stop expecting to be climbing. And should also probably stop pretending that your teammates are why you're stuck at your current rank; the results are telling you that you're not any better than they are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I got my golden gun and stopped playing, you can WIN more then you LOSE but still end up at LOWER SR than where you started which is fucking retarded, I'll come back for events but the game has lost me.
    If you're winning more than you lose, and you're dropping in rank, it's because you're gaining way less for wins than you're losing for losses. And that's because your performance isn't par for your rank. You're over-ranked, and SHOULD be dropping to a lower position.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    I'm constantly at 2-3 gold per match as a solo queuer but I rarely win any of them so I steadily climb downward.
    Don't look at medals, at all. They only compare your performance to your teammates, not the average players for your rank, and with the high variance between heroes, they're functionally useless. It's easy to get high damage/elims with a hero like Soldier 76 or Pharah, but that doesn't mean you're automatically more of an asset to your team than the Reaper who's surgically eliminating their healers but has lower numbers because he's more carefully picking targets and taking time to flank. There's also heroes like D.va for whom it's dead simple to get top elims, because you're spraying bullets EVERYWHERE, and dealing 3 damage to a guy who dies gives you an elimination, even if your Widowmaker headshot him for the rest of his health.

    Medals have some use for seeing if someone's not performing well for that team, but they're pretty useless for figuring out how well you should be performing for your rank.

  17. #17
    I actually went for it a week ago for the purple points and went into plat, gaining ~200 rating in 3 days, maining Mercy. Had to play some 3 months or so.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I got placed at an all-time low of somewhere around 1850 this season (can't recall precisely, somewhere between 1850 and 1875). I'm currently ranked about 2350. And I'm steadily climbing; prior to last night my season high was around 2300.

    I've played just over 100 matches this season in Competitive, too, so I'm not playing a super-high amount, either.

    And that's almost entirely solo queue. I think there were a couple matches where we clicked "Stay as team" after a good match, but that's the only pre-set group play I've had in there.

    So yeah, it's absolutely possible.


    I think what people need to realize is that the ranking system is not a progression system. You aren't supposed to advance through it. You're supposed to get "stuck" at a certain rank. If you rise much above it, you'll generally face players better than you, cause your team to lose, and fall back down. And vice versa, if you dip below it. The system is meant to keep you playing with players at about the same skill level as you, not to let you advance over time, the only way you'd be consistently advancing is if you're consistently playing better than your rank.

    Here's a relatively quick exercise. Track your points won/lost per match for 10 matches or so, and look at the average for each. If you're gaining way more for wins than you're losing for losses, you should be rising in rank over time, with a 50/50 win/loss split (ignoring draws as irrelevant). If you're earning about the same for both wins and losses, you're ranked appropriately, and should stop expecting to be climbing. And should also probably stop pretending that your teammates are why you're stuck at your current rank; the results are telling you that you're not any better than they are.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If you're winning more than you lose, and you're dropping in rank, it's because you're gaining way less for wins than you're losing for losses. And that's because your performance isn't par for your rank. You're over-ranked, and SHOULD be dropping to a lower position.



    Don't look at medals, at all. They only compare your performance to your teammates, not the average players for your rank, and with the high variance between heroes, they're functionally useless. It's easy to get high damage/elims with a hero like Soldier 76 or Pharah, but that doesn't mean you're automatically more of an asset to your team than the Reaper who's surgically eliminating their healers but has lower numbers because he's more carefully picking targets and taking time to flank. There's also heroes like D.va for whom it's dead simple to get top elims, because you're spraying bullets EVERYWHERE, and dealing 3 damage to a guy who dies gives you an elimination, even if your Widowmaker headshot him for the rest of his health.

    Medals have some use for seeing if someone's not performing well for that team, but they're pretty useless for figuring out how well you should be performing for your rank.
    It's all fine and dandy until you win 5 games, lose 3 and end up lower than where you started at, systems broken, and I for one am not playing again except Events until they fix it, even then maybe now, they've lost my trust.

    And I play DPS, maintain gold/silver medals including Obj time, stop trying to defend a broken system, it sees my MMR, THINKS I belong there, and forces me to stay there.

    If I won 3 lost 3 and ended around the same, sure I wouldn't complain, if I won 5 lost 4 and end up 5 points higher, wouldn't complain, winning 5 losing 3 and ending ANYTHING lower is broken, i think it was like 15 sr lower than where i started.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2017-04-09 at 08:37 PM.

  19. #19
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    45,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's all fine and dandy until you win 5 games, lose 3 and end up lower than where you started at, systems broken, and I for one am not playing again except Events until they fix it, even then maybe now, they've lost my trust.
    If you won 5 games, lost 3, and ended up lower than where you started, it's because your performance over those 8 games was well below what they'd expect for someone of your rank. You're ranked too highly, and SHOULD lose rank as a result.

    That's not the system being "broken", that's exactly how it's meant to work.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you won 5 games, lost 3, and ended up lower than where you started, it's because your performance over those 8 games was well below what they'd expect for someone of your rank. You're ranked too highly, and SHOULD lose rank as a result.

    That's not the system being "broken", that's exactly how it's meant to work.
    Thanks, i'll just shove my gold medals up blizzards ass then cause I carried those fucking wins, good lord you're daft, the system is broken. All gold/silver including obj time and 15 SR lower over it. Yea, not broken /middlefinger

    what they should have done is just taken the MMR from wow, team MMR vs. team MMR, wins gain, losses lose, based on MMR difference.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2017-04-09 at 08:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •