Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The American flags on the moon are disintigrating.

Frankly, I am quite surprised they exist at all after all of these years.

From Yahoo: ( snippet )

The photos have stood the test of time: A spacesuit-clad Apollo astronaut stands proudly next to a red-white-and-blue American flag, his national trophy telling the lonely world "the United States was here."

Unfortunately, all six flags they planted from 1969 through 1972 haven't fared so well.

Images taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2012 do show that at least five out six flags still stand. However, scientists think decades' worth of brilliant sunlight have bleached out their emblematic colors.

The result? The flags are probably completely bone-white by now, as we first learned from Gizmodo. But their condition may be even worse than that.

Each one of the flags was made by the company Annin Flagmakers, woven out of rayon, and cost NASA $5.50 (more than $32.00 when adjusted for inflation). On the surface of Earth, such flags fade in sunlight. That's because ultraviolet light — the same wavelength that causes sunburn — isn't fully absorbed by our planet's atmosphere, and it excels at breaking down fibers and colors.

It's ok, we'll go back and put more up there.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    So now they're french flags?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't expecting them to last forever. Space is vast..and empty, but the space around our system is filled with light from the sun, radiation, solar flares...it can only last so long.

I volunteer to plant more!

We need to leave a gun up there. .45ACP for people with manly wrists.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We need to leave a gun up there.
    We should put a dick on Mars too, if waving something is the goal.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Clever girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's draw the football field-sized flag on the Moon surface.

If I ever win the lottery (I don't play) I'm going to bank it until I'm about to die, then I'm going to flat out buy a nation (that shipping container on an oil platform in the English isles maybe) and fund a mission to send and bury my ashes on Mars, with my own nation's flag... just so I can do a little "Simpsons did it" type grab in the halls of fame.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    We should put a dick on Mars too, if waving something is the goal.
    NASA already did that

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3148422.html
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I see what you did there!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is an affront to America, I move to immediately nuke the Moon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why a new flag? Trump is just dying to write his name on the moon so its legible from the earth.

I think if Trump ever decided to give NASA any funding, it would be to do that and that alone.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The plaques are likely in considerably better shape (and hold better sentiments in any case - in a few centuries, there will be academic debates over whether the flags were intended to bleach and disintegrate from the beginning).

"In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    How can the disintegrate if they aren't even up there?

/tinfoilhat

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Why a new flag? Trump is just dying to write his name on the moon so its legible from the earth.

I think if Trump ever decided to give NASA any funding, it would be to do that and that alone.

Like that?

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Frankly, I am quite surprised they exist at all after all of these years.

From Yahoo: ( snippet )

The photos have stood the test of time: A spacesuit-clad Apollo astronaut stands proudly next to a red-white-and-blue American flag, his national trophy telling the lonely world "the United States was here."

Unfortunately, all six flags they planted from 1969 through 1972 haven't fared so well.

Images taken by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2012 do show that at least five out six flags still stand. However, scientists think decades' worth of brilliant sunlight have bleached out their emblematic colors.

The result? The flags are probably completely bone-white by now, as we first learned from Gizmodo. But their condition may be even worse than that.

Each one of the flags was made by the company Annin Flagmakers, woven out of rayon, and cost NASA $5.50 (more than $32.00 when adjusted for inflation). On the surface of Earth, such flags fade in sunlight. That's because ultraviolet light — the same wavelength that causes sunburn — isn't fully absorbed by our planet's atmosphere, and it excels at breaking down fibers and colors.
    I'm sad that there is no link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You forgot all the meteors and micrometeorites that gave the moon its appearance. The moon is constantly being hit.
    Perhaps from a comet's tail, but wouldn't the Earth shield the moon from most of that due to our considerably higher gravity? Though I guess maybe not since if the moon is between the object and us, it would smash into the moon...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The moon shields the Earth to a degree, but the moon has all those craters for a reason.
    Does a piss-poor job of it, poor dinosaurs...