Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Or because they know that, "Sup fam, was good?" isn't actually a dialect, it's informal slang. Hell, most of what's being discussed here doesn't even fall under the AAVE dialect habits in the links you gave earlier, because it's not part of that. It's slang. It's informal speech. It's something that pretty much everyone uses at some point, but which we realize isn't appropriate for usage in a professional or otherwise formal environment.

The primary difference in this case is that if I walk up to my new boss and say, "Yoooo bossman, dat suit is radical!" and I get fired, I pretty much just have to suck it up and move on because no one is going to give a fuck if I try to claim I'm being oppressed for usage of my "dialect".
    Well, that's 100% slang, and not related to AAVE at all :P That's more frat boy than anything else.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "You don't have to go to school to learn to talk garbage." - Jesse Jackson

7+ Year Old Account
    I like how people in this thread have said multiple times that "You should understand them if they speak the same language but a different dialect" thing.

Ok i´m german but if someone from the depth of bacaria or someone from the cost is talking in their dialect i understand nothing and i mean nothing.
    And it seems that (at least in germany) in school we get thought properly language aka high german (we still talk in dialects but it´s a normal thing that if you speak to someone from another area you try to town down your dialect) so i don´t understand how some posters can say that in the us you don´t do that.

Or because they know that, "Sup fam, was good?" isn't actually a dialect, it's informal slang. Hell, most of what's being discussed here doesn't even fall under the AAVE dialect habits in the links you gave earlier, because it's not part of that. It's slang. It's informal speech. It's something that pretty much everyone uses at some point, but which we realize isn't appropriate for usage in a professional or otherwise formal environment.

The primary difference in this case is that if I walk up to my new boss and say, "Yoooo bossman, dat suit is radical!" and I get fired, I pretty much just have to suck it up and move on because no one is going to give a fuck if I try to claim I'm being oppressed for usage of my "dialect".
    Well, your boss sounds like a dick. All the bosses I've had in any profession I've had would think that's hilarious.

Well put. Allowing students to not learn proper English only holds them back in life. Slang is fine sometimes but, you have to be able to put on a serious tone when it's appropriate.

10+ Year Old Account
    This topic makes me laugh every times up when I think about it. People considered intelligent have a hard enough time with verbal communication as it is and yet as society we say if you don't speak "proper" (love that phrase) English you're dumb? Lots of projecting going on.

I also find it a bit insulting someone to try to suggest teaching in AAVE its helpful to minorities...I'm a minority, I guess I speak AAVE? Whatever, but its not like "proper" English is hard. Its annoying, drying, inefficient (IMO), but not hard. Nor is it hard to understand people who speak various English dialects and offshoots. When people say "speak proper English" because they cannot understand AAVE, Southern, Bostonian, or whatever vernacular/dialect I begin to question their "mastery" of the English language.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    This topic makes me laugh every times up when I think about it. People considered intelligent have a hard enough time with verbal communication as it is and yet as society we say if you don't speak "proper" (love that phrase) English you're dumb? Lots of projecting going on.

I also find it a bit insulting someone to try to suggest teaching in AAVE its helpful to minorities...I'm a minority, I guess I speak AAVE? Whatever, but its not like "proper" English is hard. Its annoying, drying, inefficient (IMO), but not hard. Nor is it hard to understand people who speak various English dialects and offshoots. When people say "speak proper English" because they cannot understand AAVE, Southern, Bostonian, or whatever vernacular/dialect I begin to question their "mastery" of the English language.
    Ayo cuz, my boy got locked da **** up last night, i dont got cash,i got like 200 and youngbulls bail is like 2 stacks. n i kno that dat the feds be off dat 10 percent jawn,n the bailbonds n **** can i jus do a payment plan jumpoff to free my nigga jared?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    She believes that minorities with poor language skills feel marginalized by having to adapt to those who speak proper English. To mind their sensitivities, Gallagher intends to end the stigma of ebonics—also known as African-American Vernacular English—a dialect spoken by some black people in the United States—and encourage its use in schools.
    So basically yet another defender of minorities stating that minorities (meaning blacks, I assume) are too dumb to learn to speak English properly?

I wonder again who are the true racists here. The ones striving to treat minorities by the same standards as anyone else, or the ones advocating special treatment because they think minorities are genuinely unable to behave like the rest?

I'm going say that the website you posted is in fact a biased website with mix reporting. If you want to know what I mean here is the link to the fact check. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/heat-street/

Deleted
    It's fun watching SJW's not be able to keep up with their own cycle of talking points.

One minute women are stronk and independent and don't need no man, the next they need special treatment because of the big oppressive world, and the next gender is just a social construct so I guess "women" don't really exist at all!
    Their whole agenda is based on lies, stupidity, and double standards. And when you lie and talk nonsense all the time, you are bound to contradict yourself all the time. Not that those whackos would ever even realize it.

Me not can think of more demeaning lowering view of people than say they two stoopid too lern englosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because that will help minorities. Teach them to speak like morons.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.