Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is up with these absolutely idiotic race threads and why is Xarim allowed to keep making them?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I think it's derivative of "fixing to," but I could be wrong.
    I always thought it meant "going to" .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I always thought it meant "going to" .
    It means going to, but it derives from fixing to.

If you're a fan of "black people twitter" like I am, you appreciate ebonics. That said when you're in English class, learn English. People think you're an idiot, thug or worse when you speak in a dialect.

Most black people speak TV English fine, the kind of English you hear on TV, but they can also speak in Ebonics, it's like two languages.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

She looks chubby. I can add 2 plus 2. She likely hears lot of ebonics while getting it

In real world, minorities do pretty well in English (better than majority). You need not succumb to lazy culture.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, we need to end racism by having different races speak different, and almost incompatible dialects?

That seems inconceivably stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Oh lawd! Dat gal is fixin ta git haself inta uh whole mess of trouble.

For the uninitiated that is Texan-speak.
    If the Texas community at large had issues with employment, education, literacy, etc. then that might need to be addressed.

Catering to this style of speech only worsens the situation. For that to work you'd need to teach the other 75%+ of our society not to view that as a sign of a lack of education when virtually every person to person interaction would reinforce that ideal. So, good luck with that.

This is a case of lowering the standard because people don't want to learn.

Sometimes in life you learn the way you've been doing something is incorrect, you correct and move on. That's not oppression.

And by correct i mean correct to US english not UK english. They can pick and choose which to follow and they're both correct, but forming a 3rd version out of nowhere because you want to speak in slang 24/7 isn't correct at all. You're trying to force a country to adopt stupidity as a language.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm triggered by people who speak like that. They could at least make an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Oh lawd! Dat gal is fixin ta git haself inta uh whole mess of trouble.

For the uninitiated that is Texan-speak.
    I'd honest to god think someone was autistic or retarded if they spoke to me like this.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'd honest to god think someone was autistic or retarded if they spoke to me like this.
    Same.

I wonder what the locals here think of me when I try to speak with them in mandarin. I probably sound retarded or drunk.

it's degeneracy like this that makes me really hope nuclear fire bathes this world clean of the filth that is humanity.

come on, trump. lob one more rocket right into moscow. bring us this sweet mercy of death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets give esperanto another try!

Was good enough for Shatner in Incubus.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    U of Wisconsin Researcher: Standard English ‘Oppressive’ to Minorities; Teach Ebonics Instead

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/u-of...onics-instead/

An undergrad researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has entered the public limelight with research indicating that standard English is “oppressive” to minorities, essentially stating that grammatically correct speech is too hard for them to learn.

Erika Gallagher argues that schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics, just weeks after the University of Washington-Tacoma endorsed a similar campaign declaring standard grammar racist. The Daily Cardinal reports that Gallagher’s research was chosen for presentation at the Collegiate Conference on Composition and Communication in Portland, Oregon this semester, where her work to erase the stigma against ebonics attained national attention.

Gallagher’s research focuses on a theory called “code switching,” which means that individuals adapt their speech and mannerisms to those around them. She believes that minorities with poor language skills feel marginalized by having to adapt to those who speak proper English. To mind their sensitivities, Gallagher intends to end the stigma of ebonics—also known as African-American Vernacular English—a dialect spoken by some black people in the United States—and encourage its use in schools.

“I want to center the voices of the people who need to be centered,” said Gallagher. “As a Writing Fellow, as a white-passing person, I have a lot of power and privilege that should be shared.”

Gallagher says she based her research on three interviews with student leaders at UW-Madison from minority groups. She asked them how they felt about code switching, and says that the persons she interviewed “overwhelmingly” said they felt oppressed, one of whom called it “the biggest form of cognitive dissonance that exists.”

Yes, you read that correctly: her research is based wholly on interviews with three college students who, like many special snowflakes, would feel oppressed if you looked at them the wrong way. Apparently, the three students are now the primary spokespersons for every minority to ever live in the United States.

As a writing fellow, she says that the focus on teaching students how to use proper English causes minorities to feel excluded, and she wants to change that. “Just because you speak a different way doesn’t mean you’re not smart, but there’s a huge stigma around it,” Gallagher said. “I want to teach [educators] a different rhetoric, teach them to be more accepting.”

Gallagher has expressed her intention to funnel her research into a nonprofit organization that encourages teachers to allow students to speak in any way that makes them feel comfortable—even in broken English.

After all, why should colleges be places of learning when they can serve as nurseries for overgrown infants, instead?
    The way she puts it seems reasonable to me. Dialects, accents and entire languages have stereotypes to them and are definetly discriminated against. You can study this with any language and all it's regional dialects, where you'll always have one dialect that's more "proper" and "intelligent" and others that are considered "dumb" or "dimwitted".
    But perhaps there's another side to it, the African-American side. I'd like to hear their view of this.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Sometimes in life you learn the way you've been doing something is incorrect, you correct and move on. That's not oppression.

And by correct i mean correct to US english not UK english. They can pick and choose which to follow and they're both correct, but forming a 3rd version out of nowhere because you want to speak in slang 24/7 isn't correct at all. You're trying to force a country to adopt stupidity as a language.
    Hate to break it to you, but that's not how language works. If it were then American English would be considered incorrect.

AAVE is just as valid of an English dialect as American English is.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    The way she puts it seems reasonable to me.
    There's nothing reasonable about teaching someone a style of speech that most people view to be "unintelligent". And you're not going to get the vast majority to change their stances on this issue when most of their person to person interactions with people who speak like this only reinforces that stereotype.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Which has fuck all to do with anything in the last two posts.
    Unless it doesn't, of course. Lol. The quality of the study isn't relevant? The irony of the study itself isn't relevant? Unless I misunderstood your cryptic little post, you sound almost clueless.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    There's nothing reasonable about teaching someone a style of speech that most people view to be "unintelligent".
    Those people have no understanding of linguistics.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Exactly. Will we next allow the "southern" dialect to be taught? Mind boggling that people in this century still consider these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Those people have no understanding of linguistics.
    Or they recognize a strong correlation between people who speak like that and low levels of education.

At the end of the day promoting this style of speech is harmful to the black community until society changes its views, and I don't see society changing its views on this until person to person interactions display that people who speak in this manner aren't overwhelmingly undereducated.