Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This worked really well on Game of Thrones.

...how on earth is this remotely Constitutional? Does the separation clause not exist in Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Giving a religious institution legal authority over other citizens seems like it might run afoul of the First Amendment.
    Yeah, I definitely foresee court challenges to this one. All kinds of sticky, gooey, delicious legal issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The school district I went to had a police force. I'm unaware of any crimes that were covered up to protect the superintendent, or whatever. /shrug
    Well that's all to the great for your school in your district, but cover ups by religious institutions already have a precedent, so it isnt a far leap of logic to be concerned.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...how on earth is this remotely Constitutional? Does the separation clause not exist in Alabama?
    Alabama.

This could get challenged and go up the line though. It will just take time to dispute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Well that's all to the great for your school in your district, but cover ups by religious institutions already have a precedent, so it isnt a far leap of logic to be concerned.
    I would be interested to hear what instances you are speaking about. I'm unaware of any global pastor-gate controversy out breaks. If you are speaking about the Catholic Church, they have cops at the Vatican already.

How does reporting to a pastor differ from reporting to a mayor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Well universities get to have their own police forces for some reason.
    Because they're typically small cities unto themselves.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I would be interested to hear what instances you are speaking about. I'm unaware of any global pastor-gate controversy out breaks. If you are speaking about the Catholic Church, they have cops at the Vatican already.

Didn't realize the Vatican was in the US.....

We have separation of church and state for a reason.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You should love everywhere man, love is free for all.

Jokes aside this is the most assine thing I've heard all day. Church police? Really? America wants to go back there?

I'm all for taking inspiration from the past but come on.

The mayor is elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because they're typically small cities unto themselves.
    They're also not religious institutions, so they don't implicate the First Amendment. Unless there are private religious colleges with police forces. Not sure. Even that might be legally distinguishable.

who's with my in starting a chapter of Ironic Islam and raising a larger military..oops police force.

edit: or maybe saints of satan? wonder what would rile people up more?

The Catholic Church cover up illustrates the point perfectly. And a pastor is not a public official. Separation of church and state used to be a thing- an important thing.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    People would be losing their shit if it were a Mosque.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

You don't see the difference between authority figures reporting to a religious leader vs reporting to an elected public official?

7+ Year Old Account
    I see no problem with them having their own glorified security personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Giving a religious institution legal authority over other citizens seems like it might run afoul of the First Amendment.
    Ha! does campus police effect the first amendment? These are for their protection nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I see no problem with them having their own glorified security personnel.
    There's a big difference between Paul Blart: Jesus Cop and someone who can place you under arrest and shoot you if you resist.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, that's sharia police for christians then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    So, that's sharia police for christians then?
    Basically. If this were a large mosque asking for the same thing, they would have been run out of town and assaulted by angry whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation