How do you handle roster rotations?

When you've got a group of about 25 players, how does your guild handle player roster rotations for Mythic? How and when do you decide who raids and who doesn't? Great players vs. not as great players, perfect attendees vs. not as perfect attendees, geared vs not as geared, melee vs ranged, etc. How do you deal with the trickier situations where there are skilled and not as reliable players vs. not as skilled and more reliable? Or great melee player vs a not so great ranged player where ranged is more desirable?
    Last edited by styil; 2017-04-14 at 03:18 AM.

If you have such a skill disparity in your eyes then you have other problems that roster rotations.

Either way to answer your question.

You deal with it by having mature people that wont start crying if they sit out, good luck finding those

There is no right answer really, its something each guild deals with itself.

If you have to sit out a melee for a ranged, you obviously sit out the least useful class/player for the boss you are progressing.

If you have a "skill" issue with someone then you can simply inform them so they can get better or simply get them for a couple farm bosses that they might need compared to someone that doesnt need, again having to deal with maturity, which you wont find.

Or you can start tracking rotations and tryharding it.

But i would check it this way.

Attendance/Dedication/Reliability to the guild/raid-->Skill of player-->etc.

In that way i would sit the most attending dedicated melee raider last over the other melee in the raid, but he would eventually sit out next week etc etc.

As i already said above, requires to having to deal with mature people for stuff to work out, after a couple sit outs you will have massive QQ.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-14 at 05:05 AM.

make sure to rotate people who sit (if its the same person all the time he either sucks or will leave or both)

if you have a melee heavy comp for the night you want some ranged, you dont want 3-4 of the same spec/class

if someone isnt 100% focused that night and has irl things going on distracting them

attendance and performance, if someone is semi casual and misses raid nights, or is pharsing wear for their ilvl and class

if you have to sit out 2-3 people each night thats hard but if you got to sit out 7-8 people you will have people leave the guild

its a very hard thing to balance but make sure if you got 22 good players that you get them into the kill next week so they dont feel left out.

on farm bosses ask people who doesnt need loot and go from there.

Our guild bases our roster on each fight primarily from spreadsheets.

1st and foremost, composition. You do want to be able to kill the boss quickly and efficiently so players that make the fight significantly easier get in.

Secondly are gear needs. Someone that needs gear will get in over someone that doesn't.

Next on the list are coin roll bosses and playtime factors. On our spreadsheet everyone marks which bosses they will coin and if we can, we'll try to fit them in if possible. For playtime we take into account: how many bosses are they in for this week, which bosses were they in for last week, if they will be in for our current progression boss and if they would prefer to sit on bosses they don't need.

Performance does play a factor in this, but on farm unless someone is really sandbagging the raid we don't tend to change up the comp too much.

Our roster is just under 30 at the moment and 9/10m on farm
    Last edited by bushes; 2017-04-14 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    When you've got a group of about 25 players, how does your guild handle player roster rotations for Mythic? How and when do you decide who raids and who doesn't? Great players vs. not as great players, perfect attendees vs. not as perfect attendees, geared vs not as geared, melee vs ranged, etc. How do you deal with the trickier situations where there are skilled and not as reliable players vs. not as skilled and more reliable? Or great melee player vs a not so great ranged player where ranged is more desirable?
    This is what i do.

First - I bring what the fight requires (certain melee/range/healer comp) That honestly usually fills up at least 15 of the spots.
    Second - Of those above people if its a progression/first kill scenario I will try to bring my strongest players (those who pull the best DPS or can handle mechanics correctly)
    Third - If I feel happy I've filled the above requirements i fill the raid with all of my raiders. (be it exactly 20 or 25 etc.)
    Fourth - I ask if anyone wants to sit or doesn't need the boss and honestly at this point unless it messes up my comp I usually have more than enough people willing to sit. If not I'll try and rotate people out that haven't sat in a while for those that usually do.

I would not even worry about the skilled vs reliable at the moment. Bring in the necessary comp, (like with Tich i need min/max 10 range/healer) so maybe 2 of those range aren't the best DPS but I'm not going to swap them out or worry about DPS until I hit enrage timers. And honestly it hasn't been an issue for my guild except Krosus. With Krosus in the end it didn't even matter because we were also struggling with the pitches and getting to many elementals and once we did that right we killed it first time with 13 seconds to spare with not our strongest DPS.

Obviously your goal/hope is to have 25ish solid raiders but that doesn't happen unless you are super hardcore, outside of that find people you like to play with that can play at the mythic level.

For progression, the 20 best (based on the encounter's ideal comp, player strengths, throughput, etc.) are in. It's as simple as that.

For farm, it's primarily based on loot needs with the required respect given to the same criteria above so the fight is still as easy as possible. We have a loot needs spreadsheet, and an officer uses it to put together our comp for each boss each week. That helps make swaps quick and easy for a more efficient clear too.

Rotate people in for different progression bosses, don't have a 20 person "progression team" and 5 bench warmers who never see progress unless somebody is absent.

This can be best achieved if somebody in your raid can stream so the benchies can learn the fight.

Depends.

Perhaps on Tuesday you can ask who needs what loot, bring in a few of those players on those bosses, swamp out who you need.

Tell them you are doing it to better the guild.

I would be taking Attendance, Attitude, Skill, into consideration. Then perhaps swapping people due to raid comp.

25 isn't a bad number. Explain to them that people need time off for life reasons and having a deep bench will come in handy.

During progress? Best comp for each boss. Easy peasy.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    We have a 27 man roster (2 tanks, 5 healers, 20 dps) I have a spreadsheet raiders can update for what bosses they need loot from and give players a break for bosses they don't need, we just ask they be within range of their phone so we can ping them.

For progress, best comp wins out and people get dropped for fucking up mechanics routinely (felbeams/slam, dying to echoes, etc). Having a bench allows raiders to call out when something big comes up irl as well as keeping our progression roster focused so they dont get sat.

For progression, we look at our roster and sit classes that aren't good on a fight and for farm we rotate people based on needs from the boss. Everyone knows eventually their time to shine will come so we all get it, our shadow priest for example sat out while we did augur and now I'll be sitting, ele shaman, for Elisande and Guldan. I essentially am done progression raiding until ToS unless someone is missing or is having a terrible time understanding the fight.

Nice thing is it gives me alot of time to catchup my alts / get ahead on my main in regards to optimal relics and AP.

Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    For progression, we look at our roster and sit classes that aren't good on a fight and for farm we rotate people based on needs from the boss. Everyone knows eventually their time to shine will come so we all get it, our shadow priest for example sat out while we did augur and now I'll be sitting, ele shaman, for Elisande and Guldan. I essentially am done progression raiding until ToS unless someone is missing or is having a terrible time understanding the fight.

Nice thing is it gives me alot of time to catchup my alts / get ahead on my main in regards to optimal relics and AP.
    Will they take you in after they believe the boss is on farm so you'll still get credit and achievement for killing the boss? I am assuming so, just dealing with some of the people I've dealt with it seems so strange. I'm an officer in a guild made up of probably half people who've played WoW and other MMOs together and others being people we've pulled in along the way. We're trying this tier to make more progress into Mythic than last tier and finally have started to feel like we have a core. This is all good stuff to read for myself and knowing where I'd like the guild to get to by the end of the expac. Rome wasn't built in a day and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinder View Post
    Will they take you in after they believe the boss is on farm so you'll still get credit and achievement for killing the boss? I am assuming so, just dealing with some of the people I've dealt with it seems so strange. I'm an officer in a guild made up of probably half people who've played WoW and other MMOs together and others being people we've pulled in along the way. We're trying this tier to make more progress into Mythic than last tier and finally have started to feel like we have a core. This is all good stuff to read for myself and knowing where I'd like the guild to get to by the end of the expac. Rome wasn't built in a day and such.
    Yes, just for progression we use the best possible setup once its on farm we rotate in and out as normal.