Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    I have a custom water cooled PC and for whatever reason, in raids, I will drop to 30-50 FPS. This is a big difference from my usual 90-120 FPS in dungeons or even higher doing solo stuff. I just can't figure it out. The only way I got it to a decent level of 30-50 is reducing graphics and turning AA damn near off.

Granted, I'm playing on a 3440x1440 monitor but I feel this is more of a hit at 70ms than it should.

Nevertheless, I am building a Skylake-X beast when it drops since I'll be moving from Haskell-E (I also video edit) so I was thinking of flipping my 1080 with block and grabbing a 1080TI then a second one for SLI when I build in August.

Thoughts?

I think at my resolution I should see a decent improvement in performance. 35% should be quite nice if I don't have a faulty card or something due to the FPS issue in raids.
    without addons this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    without addons this happens?
    Well, I tried with everything off besides ElvUI and before I did that I could swear it was WeakAuras causing the issue.

I still had the same problem.

Is it possible that it's the different in my latency also? I don't remember having this problem at 20ms on my old realm. Now I am on a west coast realm at 70ms.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Yes/No pretty much.
    Do you think the difference between 20ms and 72ms (which I get now) could be contributing? I feel like when I changed realms is when it started to happen.

Do you think the difference between 20ms and 72ms (which I get now) could be contributing? I feel like when I changed realms is when it started to happen.
    MS cant affect FPS apart from when the obvious Freeze lag spike happens, when the game freezes for a good 10-20 seconds cause you have gotten almost disconnected, and then massive info incoming and your PC goes apeshit and you go from 100 FPS to 10 FPS until it "catches up".

So no, that cant affect your FPS.

Just start using the raid settings and turn shit off, you are wasting your time on this matter, its a WoW issue
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-28 at 02:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying a 1080Ti to play WoW is like buying a Ferrari to buy groceries. It works, just not really meant for that application. Many graphic cards seem to be having issues with WoW. This is not a AMD or Nvidia thing, but a WoW thing.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    MS cant affect FPS apart from when the obvious Freeze lag spike happens, when the game freezes for a good 10-20 seconds cause you have gotten almost disconnected, and then massive info incoming and your PC goes apeshit and you go from 100 FPS to 10 FPS until it "catches up".

So no, that cant affect your FPS.

Just start using the raid settings and turn shit off, you are wasting your time on this matter, its a WoW issue
    I did exactly as you said with the raid settings. I still don't like my performance for fights like Elesande.

I am also around 80mb for addon usage because of addons like WA and Details so I am sure that doesn't help the matter. But, gocha, I'll stop worrying about this and just save my chips for Skylake-X and hope I can OC around 6.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    WoW is a unique beast in that it can't, despite all this time now, manage to utilize your computer like most AAA titles can.

If WoW could utilize a CPU to its potential everyone'd likely have a much smoother experience playing the game at 10 preset with 200% render and all AA/MSA/HBAO ect turned on. GPU hardly matters after a certain point because the bottleneck you get is on the CPU.

I wish someone at Blizzcon would ask a panel question for the engineers for when this is engine change going to take place. I think there was some information before, but I can't remember what was said in regards to why it hasn't happened yet. Technical limitations I'm guessing.
    Because it quite literally cant happen.

The instructions and data that the engine bottlenecks on must be processed in serial.

Period.

You cant spread them out to multiple threads. They have to be done in order. On a single thread.

Almost every MMO is like this, and the few that aren't (bottlenecked this way) use deceptive tactics like sharding to prevent a large number of players from being present and causing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Because it quite literally cant happen.

The instructions and data that the engine bottlenecks on must be processed in serial.

Period.

You cant spread them out to multiple threads. They have to be done in order. On a single thread.

Almost every MMO is like this, and the few that aren't (bottlenecked this way) use deceptive tactics like sharding to prevent a large number of players from being present and causing issues.
    It definetely can happen but it requires developing a new engine, which wont happen for WoW. I dont play much MMOs anymore, but from what I can remember TES:O and GW2 had decent multithreading capabilities, with former being a bunch of unoptimized shit in general on launch. The game still had a bunch of bugs to be fixed and a lot of optimization to be done but I guess ZeniMax wanted the game out asap. I preordered Imperial edition and played a total of 1.5 hours after release.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svens View Post
    60+ FPS at 4k ultra 10 with 970, right.
    Wanna switch cards with my 1080? Because I don't seem to always get 60 on 2k with ultra 7
    Same with my 1080 @ 1440p. Sounds like bullshit.

Lol, this guy.
    Why lol? This guy is correct. WoW is very CPU dependant, does not need high end GPU to run at max settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Video encodings are not subjected to FPS fluctuation. Human eye is not sensitive to constant FPS as much as it is to fluctuating FPS. That may be the reason why you think it's "smooth as butter".
    This is probably the best way to explain it, except if you were to record raw lossless, and encode it to full bitrate the frame drops would be visible. The thing about streaming to twitch, 720p or 1080p you're not putting the proper bitrate for a lossless video, the lower quality will actually smooth out the viewing end.

However, the mythology of the elder days of wow have long since passed, and you should be capable of holding solid frames in 20m or less situations. The game utilizes more threads than during the wotlk "old game engine rawr wtf" spam. In my case, I don't see under 45fps in 20m raid environments, and don't see different impact on world bosses. I have a 5820k @ 4.0Ghz and a single 970 Strix stock clocked, and for the most part the game is way better than previous years on optimization to the cpu.

That being said, maybe Im spoiled w/ adaptive sync 1440p monitors but frame fluctuation is not something I notice, unless its like a straight up spike to like 15-20 which usually means I have wayyyyyyyy too much crap open.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Why lol? This guy is correct. WoW is very CPU dependant, does not need high end GPU to run at max settings.
    Because irony?

Yes, we know. I wasn't insinuating he was wrong. I was insinuating it was covered in detail directly above his post.

It was just funny. Not intentionally mocking.