Minor upgrade before completely new build?

I'm all over this place! Here's my current build

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)

As some people might know, I've been entertaining the idea of building a whole new PC, but do I really have to? Just because I could have the money doesn't mean I should spend it.
    The question I ask is simple; even if I do build a new system in the future (months), do you think it's a good idea to spend a cheap upgrade or two on my current PC? All I'm thinking about doing is perhaps grabbing a used i5 (~130-145) and 8gb more ram (~50). Who knows, maybe after I get these things I'll be sated and just forget about that shiny new PC.

The best upgrade path for you is probably upgrading that CPU to Kaby Lake 7600k new mobo/ram however that's a more expensive undertaking. Your current setup is more or less fine. Do you actually need to upgrade? Fill this out for us.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a similar system, except I have an i5 4690k (not OCed) and a SSD. It's holding pretty good atm even with only 8gb of RAM and I dont plan on swapping out the CPU & MoBo for something that support DDR4 for at least another 1.5-2 years

Deleted
    Is your PC struggling with some titles on the CPU side(100% CPU load)?
    If yes you should get a new CPU + Motherboard and RAM as soon as possible.
    If not you should be fine by waiting some months and put away some more money for a better pc.

Get yourself a SSD(about 250 or 500gb) and you should feel a nice boost already.
    Last edited by mmoc0c53a13f9d; 2017-04-14 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The best upgrade path for you is probably upgrading that CPU to Kaby Lake 7600k new mobo/ram however that's a more expensive undertaking. Your current setup is more or less fine. Do you actually need to upgrade? Fill this out for us.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    Budget 1000-1500
    Resolution 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired Wow, Skyrim, witcher, overwatch
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) No
    Country US
    Parts that can be reused Gtx 1060 6gb
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

I've already got a new build planned. If I'm going to kaby lake I'd buy parts that could immediately be pushed into my new build(non-k for mini-itx), and yeah this would be more expensive at half the price of my current new build iteration (~$460 pre-monitor). It's twice as much as I thought I would spend now, but 100% of the parts would be put into the new build. So it might be the best idea. However, the case I am looking at (Sentry) isn't commercially out until aropund September, so it was less about money and more about time. Hmmm

you dont need non-K parts for mITX.

You can overclock just fine in an mITX case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    you dont need non-K parts for mITX.

You can overclock just fine in an mITX case.
    I guess I was just afraid things would get too hot, but now that I think about it that just means it would not be able to overclock as high, not that it can't at all.
    So why do non-k chips exist? Just to fill out other price points? A pleb trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    I guess I was just afraid things would get too hot, but now that I think about it that just means it would not be able to overclock as high, not that it can't at all.
    So why do non-k chips exist? Just to fill out other price points? A pleb trap?
    Not everyone needs or wants to overclock, and clock speed is often less of a concern for a consumer build as long as it is "fast enough".

Depending on your mITX case, you dont even have to worry about overclocking less. CPU thermals are not what they used to be.

I run my i7 4790K at a stable 4.5Ghz in the Evolv ITX (and the Hadron Air, before that). Heat is not an issue, as long as you use a good cooler and have decent airflow through the case.