Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is Symmetra still support?

This isn't a QQ thread but more of a suggestion.

At the very least they should make her a defense character cause my god she's out of control right now. I know she is only good up close but it's very clear when playing things like Mystery Heroes when you cannot counter properly, she is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Every support has to aim their primary fire and she does not, she just has to look in your general direction. That's idiot proof and requires no skill. And when she gets you, the lock on is incredibly long, I jumped away as Pharah and her beam went way too fuckin far. It's just really brutal right now and i'm baffled at how she has stayed in the state she's in patch after patch.
    Last edited by meroko; 2017-04-14 at 10:47 PM.

She does way much damage
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    This isn't a QQ thread but more of a suggestion.

At the very least they should make her a defense character cause my god she's out of control right now. I know she is only good up close but it's very clear when playing things like Mystery Heroes when you cannot counter properly, she is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Every support has to aim their primary fire and she does not, she just has to look in your general direction. That's idiot proof and requires no skill. And when she gets you, the lock on is incredibly long, I jumped away as Pharah and her beam went way too fuckin far. It's just really brutal right now and i'm baffled at how she has stayed in the state she's in patch after patch.
    If you are not aiming with her secondary fire you are doing it wrong. She is in the healer group because Blizzard decided to put her there. Why is Road Hog in tank when he is a damage dealer with no defensive qualities?

Does it really matter? It isn't like there is a limit to how many healers you can have. The only part of the game it makes any kind of difference is in healer only arcade game and she becomes an essential member of that game style as she is one of the few characters that can break a solid defense if she is properly healed.

Also note that her ults don't kill, her ults entirely defensive or tactical.

I have no problem with her being in the healer section as there is no impact on the game outside of that arcade mode which she enhances the game play.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been wondering that since I started playing back in beta, but at least then it made more sense since her shields counted for more. How she supports her team even after recent buffs just doesn't seem like enough of a distinction from Defense heroes as it really should be. With other characters the fact they heal makes the difference really obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If you are not aiming with her secondary fire you are doing it wrong. She is in the healer group because Blizzard decided to put her there. Why is Road Hog in tank when he is a damage dealer with no defensive qualities?

Does it really matter? It isn't like there is a limit to how many healers you can have. The only part of the game it makes any kind of difference is in healer only arcade game and she becomes an essential member of that game style as she is one of the few characters that can break a solid defense if she is properly healed.

Also note that her ults don't kill, her ults entirely defensive or tactical.

I have no problem with her being in the healer section as there is no impact on the game outside of that arcade mode which she enhances the game play.
    Talking about her primary fire dude. not secondary. Her secondary is fine cause it requires aiming and i like that it penetrates shields but her primary is what's out of control.

Blizzard is stubborn to a fault and changing it at this point would be admitting they were wrong.

So this is blizzard definition of defense heroes:
    Defense heroes control the battlefield, interrupting enemy attacks and fortifying locations. As a defense hero, your job is to stop the opposing team’s advance.

And Support:
    Support heroes empower their allies, healing and shielding them, boosting their damage, and providing vital utility. As support, you’re the backbone of your team’s survival.

Now Symmetra does fit into both of these categories, in my opinion. I see her leaning strongly towards support though. She can't really control the battlefield or interrupt attacks. You could argue that she can fortify locations, but I don't really agree seeing how easily her turrets are destroyed (turrets are best used to aid in a defense, not as a sole means of defense like a torbjorn turret). She can't really stop advances either. At least not like a bastion's suppressing fire, a mei wall, a widow sight line, or a junkrat spam.

Looking at support, she doesn't really empower allies, nor does she heal. Obviously she shields with her e and her shield gen, damage boost not really, and the extra damage/slow from turrets, along with the teleporter, definitely provides utility. Her teleporter can single-handedly change the flow of a match, especially on 2CP
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

I think after the changes to her toolkit, she's more of a support now. The only character I could compare her to is Torbjorn, and he's still better at damage, while Symmetra is more consistent in supporting the team (comparing her shields to Torbjorns armor packs).

10+ Year Old Account
    Supports keep teammates in battle. Shield prevents dying and teleport reduces downtime in battles.
    Last edited by Roose; 2017-04-16 at 03:57 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Her ults are supportive is why.

Her turrets are also supportive in a way with their slow, while her barrier helps support allies too.

Most of her kit is used in a supportive way.

10+ Year Old Account
    The conflict is between what Blizz envisions of the Support role and what player expectations are. Blizz thinks that Support heroes don't need to be healers to qualify whereas when players say, "We need a support" they're not saying "We need another hero that can't heal." They want a healer. Sym isn't a healer.

Either Blizz will fill out the Support role with other non-healing Sym types, or they'll add more healers, further making Sym stick out like sore thumb, and move her to Defense. In the current roster, she's a Defense hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    She is a suppoortive/defencive hybrid.

I like the idea that shes support, just because you cant heal doesn't mean you cannot be supportive in other ways.

I hope we see more support characters like this int he future. Maybe like a buff character type of support one that doesn't really heal just provides certain boosts.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Doesn't every other support heal?
    Yeah move sym to defense
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

i think shes support since her both ult are kinda of "team support" but shes much more defense then support now

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think Defense is more appropriate for her than support, but I also don't really think it matters much which category she's in. The categories are just labels to help you pick heroes, so I'm not really sure how much her being potentially misclassified affects things.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    Yeah move sym to defense
    All other supports can heal yes, but they aren't just healers.

Ana and Zen have debuffs.
    Ana, Mercy and Lucio have buffs.

Symmetra doesn't heal but her turrets debuff the target (negative move speed) and supports the team with her teleporter or shield generator.

Symmetra is Support who has some defensive utility ... that isn't the same as defense. Torb is defense with some support utility. Sombra and Soldier are both Offense with some Support Utility.

it would be nice to have support that focused on debuffs and buffs.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Her and Sombra need to switch. Sombra is just a tiny bit more offensive than a Battle Mercy.

Deleted
    You could use similar logic to rehouse many heroes. It is that way because Blizzard says so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I wish they did what was suggested, that the turrets would heal targets that came near them, and damage targets
    that were on the enemy team. Similar to Ana, only that they're stationary and can be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    Yeah move sym to defense
    Soldier heals. Should he be support?

Most of her kit is supportive in nature in one way or another. Doesn't need to be a healer to be a support.