Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Her turrets slow (Support), and if you're clumping them up to nuke a single target you're doing it wrong anyway. Also, if killing people is suddenly defense, then I point you to Zenyatta.

    Also it doesn't fortify aside from assisting your teammates to get to the point faster, while her shield ult is well, clearly supportive.
    Really? Turrets are now somehow "support" because they snare? So all that keeps Torb from being support is that his turret doesn't snare? Mei is basically support with all her slowing?

    Zenyatta is at least an actual healer. Symmetra's kit does almost nothing to actually support anyone - even her barrier is, well, a barrier. You could make a better argument for her being a tank because she blocks attacks with it.

    Fact is that she initially seemed like a disc priest sort of "support" with the shielding and that was a bit awkward. When that got removed she still just sorta sat in the support category for whatever reason, and now Blizzard has seemed a bit lost on what to do with her and has thrown an alternate ultimate on her to try to shoehorn her back into that role.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, that is true, hence why she's heavily map based on her usage.
    Obviously. Of course, I say that, and yet there are those "Symmetra mains" I seem to run into that don't
    really KNOW that...

  3. #43
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cafe Leblanc
    Posts
    24,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Really? Turrets are now somehow "support" because they snare? So all that keeps Torb from being support is that his turret doesn't snare? Mei is basically support with all her slowing?

    Zenyatta is at least an actual healer. Symmetra's kit does almost nothing to actually support anyone - even her barrier is, well, a barrier. You could make a better argument for her being a tank because she blocks attacks with it.

    Fact is that she initially seemed like a disc priest sort of "support" with the shielding and that was a bit awkward. When that got removed she still just sorta sat in the support category for whatever reason, and now Blizzard has seemed a bit lost on what to do with her and has thrown an alternate ultimate on her to try to shoehorn her back into that role.
    Is there really a point to continuing this if you're going to continuously narrowly focus on points just to try to prove your point? Or are you forgetting that Torb's turret is meant to do damage, and his ult is an area denial ult?

    And no, that's not a "fact", she is essentially the same with a stronger shield and a moving barrier to help allies. She's MORE supportive than she was before.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Obviously. Of course, I say that, and yet there are those "Symmetra mains" I seem to run into that don't
    really KNOW that...
    People main things other than Genji and Hanzo...?

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Is there really a point to continuing this if you're going to continuously narrowly focus on points just to try to prove your point?
    Narrowly focus on points like...the abilities of the character in question...?

    And no, that's not a "fact", she is essentially the same with a stronger shield and a moving barrier to help allies. She's MORE supportive than she was before.
    Yeah, it is a fact. The only reason she was viable back at release was because her shielding was so good. Then they nerfed that, then they removed it altogether. Now she has to spend an ult to do anything of the sort.

    And yeah, a barrier. A function common to tanks, not supports.

  5. #45
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cafe Leblanc
    Posts
    24,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Narrowly focus on points like...the abilities of the character in question...?
    Because saying "If torb's turret slowed he'd be a support" is focusing on all their other abilities?
    No, that's narrowly taking ONE part of his kit, and claiming something silly since Symmetra's turrets alone don't do much damage, and they die in one shot, meanwhile Torb's turret actually does decent damage and can't be killed in one shot (Also can be repaired).


    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it is a fact. The only reason she was viable back at release was because her shielding was so good. Then they nerfed that, then they removed it altogether. Now she has to spend an ult to do anything of the sort.

    And yeah, a barrier. A function common to tanks, not supports.
    Except she was OP then, her shielding was tuned back, and then they made it even better than it was after the nerf, but more balanced due to it being an ult now.

    And so? Roadhog doesn't even have a barrier, is he suddenly not a tank at all?

  6. #46
    Epic! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And so? Roadhog doesn't even have a barrier, is he suddenly not a tank at all?
    There are characters in every role that can be argued for another. This is what people don't get.

    Sombra could be argued as supportive because she hacks health packs to improve their healing. Hacks debuff the enemy team. Sombra is clearly supportive!
    Pharah's rockets do some splash damage and her ability to knock people away is clearly area denial ... she is defensive!
    Junkrat is very similar to Pharah, so he should be damage if she is.
    Your Roadhog example and this thread for Symmetra.

    Some characters have kits that have traits of another class.
    Just because you can make the argument for a difference, doesn't mean you have a point and these Symmetra topics need to just stop.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    People main things other than Genji and Hanzo...?
    I know, I know, but its TRUE!

  8. #48
    Pandaren Monk Akande Ogundimu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    KFC and Watermelon
    Posts
    1,872
    cuz she is thicccccccccccccccc

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    And so? Roadhog doesn't even have a barrier, is he suddenly not a tank at all?
    I never said that a barrier was a requirement for being a tank. I said that it's a function common to tanks, not support. And I only said that because you brought it up as a support tool in the first place.

    This pretty much goes back to what I said, though. You guys will tie yourselves up in knots making up reasons why she's "support" just because the game says so, even though the ability that initially classified her as support in the first place is gone. Sure, a lot of characters overlap in their functionality in the game, but she's vastly more similar to a Defense character than a Support character now.

  10. #50
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cafe Leblanc
    Posts
    24,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    There are characters in every role that can be argued for another. This is what people don't get.

    Sombra could be argued as supportive because she hacks health packs to improve their healing. Hacks debuff the enemy team. Sombra is clearly supportive!
    Pharah's rockets do some splash damage and her ability to knock people away is clearly area denial ... she is defensive!
    Junkrat is very similar to Pharah, so he should be damage if she is.
    Your Roadhog example and this thread for Symmetra.

    Some characters have kits that have traits of another class.
    Just because you can make the argument for a difference, doesn't mean you have a point and these Symmetra topics need to just stop.
    That at the very least I can agree with.

    It's like every patch there's a new thread beating the poor horse.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    I know, I know, but its TRUE!
    I don't believe you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I never said that a barrier was a requirement for being a tank. I said that it's a function common to tanks, not support. And I only said that because you brought it up as a support tool in the first place.

    This pretty much goes back to what I said, though. You guys will tie yourselves up in knots making up reasons why she's "support" just because the game says so, even though the ability that initially classified her as support in the first place is gone. Sure, a lot of characters overlap in their functionality in the game, but she's vastly more similar to a Defense character than a Support character now.
    Except she still has the move, and it's better than it was before since it even affects her now.

    And no one's "tying themselves up" to make reasons for her to be support. She's IN support already. It's people saying she should be defense that are tying themselves up trying to argue against Blizzard's own reasoning (one of which they said support doesn't need to heal to be a support).

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't believe you!
    I SWEAR its true!

    I mean have you ever seen the "I main Mei/Sombra/Torbjorn" crowd? They exist!

  12. #52
    Did you just assume her role?
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    She is a suppoortive/defencive hybrid.

    I like the idea that shes support, just because you cant heal doesn't mean you cannot be supportive in other ways.


    I hope we see more support characters like this int he future. Maybe like a buff character type of support one that doesn't really heal just provides certain boosts.
    I think that's a great idea. Having support healers that don't heal is different and I think would be really fun to play and get good with.

  14. #54
    She is basically a better torbjorn. Definitely a defense hero not a support.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •