Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Clearly you have no idea how much internet actually cost to different operators. /closed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    When all your basic needs are covered, when you have a free cellphone and internet access, subsidize cable, etc. where does the urge to work for your own things come into play? Why work 40 hours a week only to do 20% better? You'll also start convincing people who do work not to. I'd take a substantial pay cut if I got to stay at home and not work, and you're kidding yourself if you honestly don't think most people would do that - especially if they know a big chunk of their taxes goes to pay for people who don't work.
    It will come from within. Even given all the necessities, I rather expect that despite your claims you could still work. Except you would work at what you want to work at, rather than what someone else directs you to work at. You're incorrectly using "work" to mean only "paid work". See the vast number of amateur filmmakers, performing artists, visual artists, musicians, etc. on all the various sites on the internet. You think all those people wouldn't keep right in going on their work, probably full time or more, if their necessities were covered?

And why do you demand 40 hours? Why couldn't it be 30 or 20? And why would it only be 20% better?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't even have free food and water. These are the only two resources human cannot survive without, yet still commercialized. Free Internet doesn't make sense without basic requirements becoming free first.

Plus, unless we are talking about free 100+ Mbps unlimited Internet, I'm not going to use it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Absolutely, a basic internet package should be provided and paid for through taxes. The sheer volume of information available is worth it to provide it to everyone not to mention it's practically required if you want to apply for most jobs. If you aren't adept at using the internet you will be left in the dust.

If it were free, there'd be no incentive for it to be any good. Paid internet services are already garbage in the US. Want that to be worse?

If it was free and paid for by taxes, as some of you are suggesting.
    Then the internet would be under Government control.

And if you write anything on Facebook or Tweet some anti Government shit.

Then you might get a knock on the door from the Men in Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post

Wouldn't happen and I'm sorry that Australia is like that.

Deleted
    Our hellbend obsession with privacy is what keeps technology from growing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Our hellbend obsession with privacy is what keeps technology from growing.
    Privacy is only an issue because people are so goddamned judgemental these days. It wouldn't be a problem if all your dick pics got leaked if nobody would judge you for it.

Deleted
    I think everything including sex, food and drugs should be free.

In a future where we use robots to do all work. And where earth was turned into a paradise having food replicators in every single home. When every village has its own fusion power generator.

When we finally got rid of greed and capitalism.

Which unfortunately will take two additional catastrophes and revolutions and some hundreds of years to become true. Up to then, its utopian.

We have a thing called the 1A. If you are afraid of MiB, why the hell would you post on FB or Twitter?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    These things are not "free" - your taxes pay for them
    Those things are also not rights. People have no idea what the word "rights" actually means.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    If it were free, there'd be no incentive for it to be any good. Paid internet services are already garbage in the US. Want that to be worse?
    You're assuming only the government would provide the internet access.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Free, as in payed through taxation? No, pay for your internet access if you want it.
    I just love this thought process. You realize that if they were to make us pay for it via tax, each individual would only be paying pennies? Do you even know how taxes work? You make it sound like you're going to lose a large chunk of your paycheck every month just so people can have internet access.

What I think should realistically happen is that the monopolies that Time Warner and Comcast currently have across the US needs to be taken down. They completely drown out competition because they own all of the laid fiber in many areas, which means other companies can't lay their own, which leads to smaller companies getting stuck offering a lesser connection. And since everyone is about speed, nobody wants to pay for a slow connection when they can go through the big company and get a fast connection. The price on internet services would be much lower if more companies were allowed to compete.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2017-04-15 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Wouldn't happen and I'm sorry that Australia is like that.
    I dunno what country you a from. But do you trust your government.?
    Australia is in General Ok..
    Government keeps tabs on some communications for prevention of terrorism and for rock spiders.

However, Government control of the internet in some less democratic countries would prevent journalists filing reports and may harm individuals caught posting anti-government stuff.

I dunno what country you a from. But do you trust your government.?
    Australia is in General Ok..
    Government keeps tabs on some communications for prevention of terrorism and for rock spiders.

However, Government control of the internet in some less democratic countries would prevent journalists filing reports and may harm individuals caught posting anti-government stuff.
    Well since my government isn't North Korea I don't have to worry about complaining about my government or have to worry about Black Suits visiting my house at night unless I talk about bombing an orphanage or something.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This entitlement shit needs to stop... if you want something PAY FOR IT!
    Stop teaching your kids that being last place is OK and give them a big fat trophy... NO! Trophy's are for winners! What's the point in trying to be better if the reward is the same?!

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    This entitlement shit needs to stop... if you want something PAY FOR IT!
    Stop teaching your kids that being last place is OK and give them a big fat trophy... NO! Trophy's are for winners! What's the point in trying to be better if the reward is the same?!
    Basic necessities are not rewards. And yes, the internet is a necessity in this day and age.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    So is a car... should that be free too?

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    So is a car... should that be free too?
    Public transportation.