Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hubcap trolling again..he has a girlfriend? Lol

Turks can't change whether people will see movie, audience won't care regardless, only reason there r holocaust movies is because jews waste tons of money on them, te sheer volume makes them a category. Holocaust doesn’t come close to the # deaths of ussr or chinese.

C.Bale made some movie about massacre in Nanking China by the Japanese. Basically nobody outside of China saw it or remember it...there is no markets for genocide pity, it's artificial due to jew monies giving impression that that people want to see this kind of stuff. There's so much volume holocaust movies that people are bound to end up watching one gives the impressions it's due to demand, it's not.
    Tbh people who would go to see Armenian would do so anyways.

As for ghostbusters, that's not trolling, movie IS SHIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Granted, but the negativity started before we knew it was shit. The man child temper tantrums started before the first trailer even hit.

What I got from this thread is that there are too many people too invested in movie ratings.

Is the main complaint that people can't figure out what to watch if they can't accurately know what random strangers think?

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Granted, but the negativity started before we knew it was shit. The man child temper tantrums started before the first trailer even hit.
    Not really. People said the trailer looked shit/gave it thumbs down.

Then hack Paul Feig started bitching about 'muh sexism', and dishonest journalists followed suit. Narrative-weaving, look past it.

>It's impossible to say whether they made an impact on the box office

>In the end, Ghostbusters lost an estimated $70 million.

Really hope that, by lost an estimated 70mil, they mean it didn't profit and made a negative amount of money. Either way, what a horrible word choice in LITERALLY the same sentence.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2017-04-18 at 12:36 PM.

Maybe it's just a shitty movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Hubcap trolling again..he has a girlfriend? Lol

Turks can't change whether people will see movie, audience won't care regardless, only reason there r holocaust movies is because jews waste tons of money on them, te sheer volume makes them a category. Holocaust doesn’t come close to the # deaths of ussr or chinese.

C.Bale made some movie about massacre in Nanking China by the Japanese. Basically nobody outside of China saw it or remember it...there is no markets for genocide pity, it's artificial due to jew monies giving impression that that people want to see this kind of stuff. There's so much volume holocaust movies that people are bound to end up watching one gives the impressions it's due to demand, it's not.
    Tbh people who would go to see Armenian would do so anyways.

Aah, Jew money...What a revealing comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who actually uses IMDb scores to pick their movies?

I watch movies based on whether I'm interested in the story presented in the description, not on other peoples' opinions. Certainly not from online reviews either, since they're automatically compromised by the simple misfortune of being internet reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know what you guys are complaining about, I love the movies Hollywood makes. Have you watched Skyrim? It's the best movie eva!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll wait for the rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Lol, Buddy sony themselves fucked up ghostbusters in 2 ways.1. Handling criticism by claiming it was misogyny. 2 pandering to feminists and sjws. Who never buy shit. Also its a reboot of a franchise that was beloved. But yea lets blame trolls.
    Yes. Of course. They should have pandered to the alt-right and make the First Order win in Starwars-that's why VII and Rogue crashed...oh wait....

Haha. I used to do movie reviews. I still get offers from time to time to do a free screening. Over the past 3 weeks I have gotten 4 offers to go watch and review The Promise. Im guessing they are looking for some good reviews!

Rotten Tomatoes is a better site for movie ratings. At least you get some semblance of critical response. IMDB is only useful for cast lists.

Looked up Melissa McCarthy's box office tally and Ghostbusters was one of her highest grossing movies. It made $130 million. There's no way they expected it to make over $200million just based on her and the cast past movie performances. Maybe spend less money on special effects and more money on writing jokes in the future? If "The Boss" can make $63 million and was way worse then the absolutely unfunny and terrible Ghostbusters then clearly there's a market for her movies. Funniest line in Ghostbusters was when Dan Aykroyd tells his cab driver he ain't afraid of no ghosts. There may have been a second funny line, but I don't remember. Still that's 1 more then "The Boss".

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't think it's trolls, well not necessarily. When my gf wants to see a movie at best it's a date film with some comedy in it but at worse it's a romance with lots of silences and people staring off into the distance. Even worse than that she wants to see a movie with sub-titles. Movies with zero explosions aren't my thing.

Yeah with social media you can get political with movies. The author writes about 'The Promise' a film about the Armenian Genocide, you can bet Turks are going to down vote such a film on imdb and Armenians are going to up-vote. I don't think that's trolling either but for the rest of us, it messes up a legit score for the movie, all I care about is it over 7 on imdb.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-trolls-992582

It had taken years — and the passionate support of Kirk Kerkorian, who financed the film's $100 million budget without expecting to ever make a profit — for The Promise, a historical romance set against the backdrop of the Armenian genocide and starring Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac, to reach the screen. Producers always knew it would be controversial: Descendants of the 1.5 million Armenians killed by the Ottoman Empire shortly after the onset of World War I have long pressed for the episode to be recognized as a genocide despite the Turkish government's insistence the deaths were not a premeditated extermination.

The Promise, which opens April 21, finally would bring the untold saga to a mass audience. But at the Toronto Film Festival premiere in September, producer Mike Medavoy watched the late billionaire's carefully laid plans upended by a digital swarm that appeared out of nowhere.

Before the critics in attendance even had the chance to exit Roy Thompson Hall, let alone write their reviews, The Promise's IMDb page was flooded with tens of thousands of one-star ratings. "All I know is that we were in about a 900-seat house with a real ovation at the end, and then you see almost 100,000 people who claim the movie isn't any good," says Medavoy. Panicked calls were placed to IMDb, but there was nothing the site could do. "One thing that they can track is where the votes come from," says Eric Esrailian, who also produced the film, and "the vast majority of people voting were not from Canada. So I know they weren't in Toronto."

The online campaign against The Promise appears to have originated on sites like Incisozluk, a Turkish version of 4chan, where there were calls for users to "downvote" the film's ratings on IMDb and YouTube. A rough translation of one post: "Guys, Hollywood is filming a big movie about the so-called Armenian genocide and the trailer has already been watched 700k times. We need to do something urgently." Soon afterward, the user gleefully noted The Promise's average IMDb rating had reached a dismaying 1.8 stars. "They know that the IMDb rating will stay with the film forever," says Esrailian. "It's a kind of censorship, really."

While the attack against The Promise is an extreme case, colored by decades of fraught discussion over the Armenian genocide, it highlights a growing problem in Hollywood. A search of 4chan reveals multiple campaigns against everything from Star Wars spinoff Rogue One to indie Holocaust-denier drama Denial to Justin Simien’s upcoming Netflix series Dear White People, many with step-by-step instructions on how to negatively impact films on sites like IMDb and YouTube. Once just a curiosity — for years, Korean fans made an annual ritual of vaulting K-Pop idol Rain to the top of the Time 100 Poll — online trolls now are a movie marketer's worst nightmare.

In 2016, the all-female reboot of Ghostbusters became a magnet for a downvoting campaign from 4chan and Reddit users. They organized to give hundreds of thousands of "thumbs down" to the film's YouTube marketing materials — its first official trailer, the video of its theme song, even a clip of the cast on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Sony began releasing the film's trailers on Facebook, which has no "dislike" button, but by then the trolls had taken hold of the narrative. It's impossible to say whether they made an impact on the box office, but in the end, Ghostbusters lost an estimated $70 million.

Jose Haro
    "It's not Machiavellian, it's just practical. I try to do what's best for the movie," says Weinstein of TWC's frequent release-date changes. He was photographed March 27 in front of a Ron Agam piece in his office.
    READ MORE
    Harvey Weinstein on Jay Z, Trump and His Dream to Produce the Oscars (With Spielberg)
    Studios can't count on the websites hosting the ratings for help. When THR reached out for comment, a spokeswoman for Amazon-owned IMDb referred to the site's FAQ section, which notes that its ratings system is meant to aggregate public opinion. It uses a weighted average but doesn't reveal specifics about how a film's final rating is determined in order "to prevent abuse and minimize attempts to stuff the ballot or otherwise influence the integrity of the voting system."

These types of attacks aren’t exclusive to IMDb. Amy Schumer posted a lengthy message on Instagram in March after news sites reported that her new Netflix stand-up special, The Leather Special, had a one-star rating on the streamer. “The alt right organized trolls attack everything I do,” reads her post. “They organize to get my ratings down. Meeting in sub Reddit rooms.”

Netflix maintains that its star rating was not an average of all users' ratings but rather a personalized recommendation based on a user’s viewing history, past ratings and the ratings of other members with similar viewing habits. But a search on Reddit yields multiple calls to downvote Schumer’s special, including several in a single forum with over 380,000 subscribers.

Netflix ditched its star ratings this month, replacing them with a percentage score of how likely any individual user is to enjoy a film. And for some Netflix members, Schumer’s stand-up special was upgraded from a low star rating to an overwhelmingly positive percent match score.

So what's the best way to fight off an army of trolls? The only way may be to raise an army of your own.

On IMDb, The Promise now has an average of 4.2 stars thanks to more than 35,000 10-star ratings that have been left by supporters of the film to counter the more than 60,000 one-star ratings. (There are fewer than 1,400 ratings between two and nine stars.) Esrailian doesn't pretend that all of those high ratings come from people who've seen and loved the film. But he'll take their votes nonetheless: "People realized you had to fight fire with fire."
    That's the problem with the unwashed masses, Hollywood. They have politics, just like you elites do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    What collateral damage to free speech? All of these are private companies. Posting your opinion on a private website is a privilege not a right.
    I was thinking of things like removing anonymity from people and the like. Depending on how dedicated you are, even good anti-botting measures and good policing will fail if you're determined enough to tank a film's rating, or poison the comments, etc. Proxies beat IP bans, new accounts proliferate faster than old ones can be closed, and so on.
    Still not tired of winning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes is a better site for movie ratings. At least you get some semblance of critical response. IMDB is only useful for cast lists.
    RT is owned by Warner Bros, congratulations for being fooled..

A scoring system for a piece of entertainment is fairly useless.
    An aggregator that gives you an average of several/many/lots of scores is even worse.
    One that's open to being abused/"brigaded" by people who are rating it based on political reasons or as some sort of protest are absolutely worthless.

I dunno, for my part, anyone is free to have an opinion....providing they actually have seen the movie/bought the game (and not, random example, been given orders on 4-chan to hate this movie and call it the worst thing ever)

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I'm kind of agree with him, unless the movie is very new I usually agree with most of the scores, anything over 7 is usually a decent movie, I would say a majority of the time. Last night I watched sausage party, it has a 6.3 I think, I think it should have been 3.6, I assume it was only so high because of children and fanboys.

The only movie I can think of that had a really good rating that was just freaking horrible was gravity, it has a 8.3 for a long time, it should have been a 3.8 it was fucking stupid.
    That's why instead of just looking at an average rating you should read the reviews themselves. That way you can understand why the reviewer gave it the rating it did. Had you done that...you might have decided sausage party and gravity were probably not going to be movies you would enjoy.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.