Advice Appreciated for Upgrade

Hi all!

I built my computer in 2013 and have updated a couple parts since then. My current build is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.92 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.66 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($369.00 @ Jet)
    Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Now, in the next couple weeks I'm looking at upgrading a few parts, particularly the CPU, GPU, Mobo, and Case.

I've overclocked my i5-3570k and it's been performing nicely, however I do a fair amount of 3D-modeling work in addition to gaming (gaming is still the primary reason I'm upgrading), so I figure a CPU upgrade will help out with modeling+render times. I was just thinking of going with the new i7-7700k.

For a GPU, I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to a 1070 or a 1080 (unsure as of now). Any advice on what brand/type of card? I've done some research and it seems that people really like the MSI version as well as ASUS Strix version.

The i7 isn't compatible with my current mobo so I'd have to upgrade it too. I do like ASRock (I like their bios), but I really don't have the faintest idea of what mobos are considered good/reliable these days. I saw in the build of the month there was an ASUS mobo used, but everyone says ASUS customer service is bad so I'm a little hesitant going with them (making me hesitant on purchasing an ASUS GPU too).

Lastly, the case. If I could go back in time to when I first built my comp I would have purchased a bigger case. As of now, it's a mess inside because of how limited I am with room. I can practically hear my 970 crying because of how awkwardly it's fitted. Something bigger that would fit a 1070/1080 along with the new mobo is really all I want (don't care too much about aesthetics, but I won't shy away from pretty). Not too concerned about budget, so feel free to recommend whatever.

P.S. Do you think getting a new CPU Cooler would be beneficial?

Thanks again for reading this, and I appreciate any input!
    Last edited by SwiftExE; 2017-04-18 at 06:28 PM.

IF gaming is the primary reason you are upgrading, then don't upgrade the CPU. If you want to be able to get your other work done faster then go ahead and upgrade. Going to a 7700k will not have a very noticeable affect on gaming at all. Going to a Ryzen R7 would also not have a noticeable effect on gaming. They would both show good improvements on the 3D-Modeling though, with the Ryzen pulling ahead by a fair margin.

If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, for the Motherboard brand, I too like ASRock, never given me any problems. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock are all good brands though. I stay away from MSI myself as I've gotten multiple boards DOA from them, but that's really anecdotal evidence and no reason not to buy them.

Same thing on GPUs, and same brands really, just replace ASRock with EVGA. EVGA does have some of the best customer service and the best warranty as well. EVGA allows you to transfer the warranty if you sell the card, so it adds a little re-sale value later on down the road if you decide to replace it before the warranty expires.

For the case, I'm a big fan of the Corsair Obsidian series, though Fractal Design, Phanteks and NZXT are recommended here quite frequently as well.

On the cooler, that really depends on how much you want to OC. It is still a great cooler for mild overclocks. If you want to push it a little further, then yeah, get something a bit better.

10+ Year Old Account

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($82.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($186.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($559.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Windows 10 Key from Kinguin ($27.99)
    Total: $1515.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 15:42 EDT-0400

These are the parts I would suggest. You can drop the 1080 Gaming X for the 1070 Gaming X if you so desire. You will be reusing your SSD / HDD as there's nothing wrong with them. You might also look into Ryzen which would look like this:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.33 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($117.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1571.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 15:50 EDT-0400

The Ryzen build would likely help with your rendering.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($82.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($186.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1515.22
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 15:42 EDT-0400

These are the parts I would suggest. You can drop the 1080 Gaming X for the 1070 Gaming X if you so desire. You will be reusing your SSD / HDD as there's nothing wrong with them. You might also look into Ryzen which would look like this:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.33 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($117.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1571.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 15:50 EDT-0400

The Ryzen build would likely help with your rendering.
    Especially for gaming, other than the GPU, there would not be much of a noticeable increase in gaming from doing this. In addition, it looks like his PSU is only 4 years old and it's XFX, which means Seasonic OEM, so high quality and should not really need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftExE View Post
    Hi all!

I built my computer in 2013 and have updated a couple parts since then. My current build is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.92 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.66 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($369.00 @ Jet)
    Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Now, in the next couple weeks I'm looking at upgrading a few parts, particularly the CPU, GPU, Mobo, and Case.

I've overclocked my i5-3570k and it's been performing nicely, however I do a fair amount of 3D-modeling work in addition to gaming (gaming is still the primary reason I'm upgrading), so I figure a CPU upgrade will help out with modeling+render times. I was just thinking of going with the new i7-7700k.

For a GPU, I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to a 1070 or a 1080 (unsure as of now). Any advice on what brand/type of card? I've done some research and it seems that people really like the MSI version as well as ASUS Strix version.

The i7 isn't compatible with my current mobo so I'd have to upgrade it too. I do like ASRock (I like their bios), but I really don't have the faintest idea of what mobos are considered good/reliable these days. I saw in the build of the month there was an ASUS mobo used, but everyone says ASUS customer service is bad so I'm a little hesitant going with them (making me hesitant on purchasing an ASUS GPU too).

Lastly, the case. If I could go back in time to when I first built my comp I would have purchased a bigger case. As of now, it's a mess inside because of how limited I am with room. I can practically hear my 970 crying because of how awkwardly it's fitted. Something bigger that would fit a 1070/1080 along with the new mobo is really all I want (don't care too much about aesthetics, but I won't shy away from pretty). Not too concerned about budget, so feel free to recommend whatever.

P.S. Do you think getting a new CPU Cooler would be beneficial?

Thanks again for reading this, and I appreciate any input!
    You might want to look at one of the Ryzen chips or the low end Intel 2011v3 chip for more cores. Real cores are a lot better than the hyperthreading that's pretty much the sole advantage to the i7 vs i5. The base i7-6800K is the only Intel > 4 core chip, that really makes any sense from a bang for the buck perspective. It's not significantly more expensive than the "Kaby lake" i7 and it comes with 28 vs 16 PCIe lanes + it's a 6 core chip.

Mind you the top end Ryzen chip has 8 cores and isn't that much more expensive than the 6800k.

That's somewhat complicated by the fact that the next gen Intel replacement for the 2011v3s, may not be that far off. Rumors have it being moved up into early Q3 and they will probably be seeing significant price cuts due to the competition from the Ryzen chips.

The Ryzen systems currently are killing Intel in terms of bang for your buck (they're about half the price or possibly much less as the top end Intel chip goes for a stupidly expensive $1600) if you want a > 4 core system.

MB vendor isn't really my primary concern. They're really not the primary point of failure on most systems. That's typically the PSU (one place a lot of people skimp and really shouldn't).

Basically, buy a motherboard for features, not the name. Even the "overclocking" prowess of a MB is of debatable value, given that it's typically the specific CPU (as in the exact chip) you wind up with that's really going to determine that.

If you do go with a >4 core chip, you are going to want a new cooler. The Hyper 212 is a great bang for your buck cooler, but isn't up to the demands of cooling an overclocked high core count chip. Also the mounting system may not be compatible with a new motherboard, though an adapter kit can probably be purchased for it.

I would give serious consideration to one of the AIO watercoolers, if you're finding the case cramped. I've found the massive heatsinks on the best air coolers to be a significant obstacle to working on anything near the CPU.

It's really what else you want in the case that determines what you want to get for a case. Typically what you are getting with a larger case is stuff like more HDD/SSD capacity and/or multiple radiator support for a custom water cooling setup. If you don't need/want something like that, there are some very nice cases that will comfortably take a ITX or micro ATX MB and a full sized multi slot GPU.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-04-18 at 08:01 PM.

Aye, I would only consider upgrading that 970 if it also came with a 1440p 144Hz monitor upgrade. I game at 1440p/144Hz on my R9 290 and it's only just now feeling a bit strained, and it's right around your GTX 970's performance. A GTX 1070/1080 on a 1080p60 is a literal waste of money.

Honestly for your uses your current setup probably works fine. I'd take Lathais' recommendation on a case as a new enclosure with better airflow can help overclocks and stability if your current enclosure is just unsuitably small.

If you're really looking to improve render speeds, go for a Ryzen 1800X (or 1700 if you feel like playing the silicon lottery.) You'll likely see a minor improvement in some games and no improvement in others, especially at 1080p60. Really, though, your first upgrade should be a new monitor as that's the weak link of the parts you listed. I cannot stress enough the joys of a 144Hz 1440p IPS display for gaming and daily use.
    Super casual.