Tested the "4% buff" today, was barely even a 1% increase

Dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but I tested a few shots today on the boss target dummy after testing some shots and recording the night before patch hit.

Piercing shot no vulnerable no crit was hitting the boss dummy for 902,150
    This morning it is hitting for 908,350

Piercing shot with vulnerable would hit for 1,947,540 before patch
    After patch it was hitting for 1,962,040

That is not even a 1% increase effectively.

Also, it seems blizzard really did buff all the MM abilities by 1% but then proceeded to not buff explosive shot at all, still hitting for the same exact about 986,124 before and after patch

Do boss dummies have some kind of Damage reduction that is affecting my calcs? Even if so, that means in a raiding environment, effectively our damage increase is not even 1% higher on bosses.

Also finally, I noticed a strange ability called landslide would randomly proc on the dummy from time to time, anybody else getting that as well?
    Last edited by HappyLuckBox; 2017-04-18 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post
    Dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but I tested a few shots today on the boss target dummy after testing some shots and recording the night before patch hit.

Also, it seems blizzard really did buff all the MM abilities by 1% but then proceeded to not buff explosive shot at all, still hitting for the same exact about 986,124 before and after patch.

Do boss dummies have some kind of Damage reduction that is affecting my calcs? Even if so, that means in a raiding environment, effectively our damage increase is not even 1% higher on bosses.
    are you US? it clearly says it needs maintenance first to apply buffs, not patch, those sub 1% seem more like standard variance

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    are you US? it clearly says it needs maintenance first to apply buffs, not patch, those sub 1% seem more like standard variance

Maintenance already occurred this morning, and i casted multiple shots in order to test. All shots were always within 100 damage of each other. Now post patch, we were definitely buffed, but not by 4% as blizzard claimed

It makes sense that Explosive shot wasn't buffed, by the way. None of the talents on the T60 row was directly buffed, only indirectly. All of the T90 talents were, and the T90 were (trick shot indirectly by aimed shot). We didn't get a buff to autoshot damage, either.

In essence - if they buffed explosive shot, they'd also have to buff Sentinel/PS, to not skew the "balance" in that talent row. They buffed all of the T90 to not skew the balance there, and all the T100 as well, keeping everything "equal" to what it was before.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post

Also, it seems blizzard really did buff all the MM abilities by 1% but then proceeded to not buff explosive shot at all, still hitting for the same exact about 986,124 before and after patch

Also finally, I noticed a strange ability called landslide would randomly proc on the dummy from time to time, anybody else getting that as well?
    Knowing blizzard, they probably dropped it to 0.66% at the last minute and didn't update the notes

There are many factors that could be taken into account here that you might be overlooking for instance I believe bosses have armor still so that could be mitigating some of the damage. You could have had a flask or food buff, they may have buffed just the base damage not the scaling damage or vice versa.
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!

Were you attacking the same target dummy in both tests? Different dummies have different armour reduction values (depending on their level).

If you attack level ?? target dummies, you will do about 1% less damage compared to if you attack level 112 target dummies, and compared to if you attack a level 110 target dummy, you will do about 3% less.

If prior to the hotfix you were attacking a level 110 dummy then after the hotfix you were attacking a level ?? dummy, then the result would be that you'd only see an increase in damage of about 0.84%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    In essence - if they buffed explosive shot, they'd also have to buff Sentinel/PS, to not skew the "balance" in that talent row. They buffed all of the T90 to not skew the balance there, and all the T100 as well, keeping everything "equal" to what it was before.
    Sentinel/PS did get indirect buffs through buffs to Marked Shot/Aimed Shot though, so Explosive Shot has become relatively weaker (that's not to say it can't still be the best though). It might be more obvious if we imagined that they instead multiplied Aimed Shot damage by trillions: Aimed Shot would become 100% of our damage and neither Explosive Shot/Sentinel would provide any noticeable increase in damage, whereas Patient Sniper would, despite not being buffed in any way, other than indirectly through the buff to Aimed Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by aikanaro View Post
    There are many factors that could be taken into account here that you might be overlooking for instance I believe bosses have armor still so that could be mitigating some of the damage. You could have had a flask or food buff, they may have buffed just the base damage not the scaling damage or vice versa.
    Armour shouldn't affect the percentage increase he saw though, it should still be 4%.

Damage done before hotfix = (Base Damage)*(Armour Reduction Factor)
    Damage done after hotfix = (Base Damage)*(Armour Reduction Factor)*1.04

If you divide the damage done after the hotfix by the damage done before the hotfix, you should get 1.04 regardless of what the armour reduction factor is.

Deleted
    doesn't make sense I am sorry to say. Either you didn't wait for maintenance or did something wrong.

A 4 % buff should be more than 1 % (obviously).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelE View Post
    doesn't make sense I am sorry to say. Either you didn't wait for maintenance or did something wrong.

A 4 % buff should be more than 1 % (obviously).
    You're not very open minded are you? He said he waited for maintenance. He could ofc have hit another dummy but there can also be a bug of some sort or a wrong doing in the dmg calculation by Blizzard, what do you know? Its good that he brought this up incase something is wrong.

I'm at 918k on a 6min ST sim now.
    I approve of this buff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrox View Post
    I'm at 918k on a 6min ST sim now.
    I approve of this buff.
    918 sim dps on 6 min st? Are you sure?

Also the landslide "proc" is from the legion zone buff for highmountain.

You people just cant be satisfied with anything :-D

Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    ya im sure

?

Since AS damage varies by like 3 damage, I tried it out yesterday and my Arcane shot hit for 126 030 before I went to bed. Today it hit for 130 699 damage.

Close enough I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    Considering I was at 970K before the buff on sims, I'd say that's perfectly fine for someone in a bit of mythic gear.

Deleted
    More than mythic gear, I suppose "really good" relics :^)

btw 902k dps over 5 minutes, the buff is legit.
    Last edited by mmocbfa8dc246d; 2017-04-19 at 09:13 PM.