H. Elisande - Dodging the 2 rings as BM hunter

I often fail at reliably dodging the 2 rings during the H. Elisande encounter. Sometimes the positioning is bad which is fine but other times I just feel I am not able to run fast enough between the gaps before I get hit 2-3 times and die.

I try to use Turtle and Cheetah for 1st and 2nd 2-ring spawns but then onwards it is always hit-n-miss. A time or two I tried to disengage beyond the rings but it still killed me. What are the ways you reliably use to ensure not getting damaged from the rings?

Deleted
    I run a circle and sometimes use disengage if I have to.
    That's pretty much it.

Not to sound like an A** but run. I can out run those without any movement speed buffs on any of my toons. When/if i'm getting hit on my shaman I will pop something but 9/10 times I just run so i can throw riptides or drop totems out for the people that get hit. Just look and time when the rings come out, and honestly if it comes down to it run straight threw 1 ring it will do far less damage then standing in one while trying to dodge.

You shouldn't be needing to run vast amounts of space.
    1. Hide behind bubble
    2. sidestep into gap
    3. hug edge of bubble until the slowed rings pass
    4. step back behind bubble
    5. repeat step 2

Running backwards or forwards around the bubble or the ring also work, if the positioning is being thrown off by a really badly placed pink bubble you might have to do that but you shouldn't have to every time.

You can also just turtle through them if things go south.

Alternatively there is another strat that will work if something has happened and you don't have a purple bubble at all. Go stand next to the pillar in the middle and watch the back edge of the ring, a gap will form to go around that pillar and you can get through it by standing where that gap will hit the pillar. If you can find the original ptr fatboss guide for ellisande they show this strat in the video. I've used it a fair few times when things have gone sideways in pugs.
    Last edited by Feyranna; 2017-04-18 at 09:45 PM.

@Feyranna - I see what you mean. I watched that video but couldn't find the 2-ring succession. Maybe looking at a diff video.

Turtle is usually long enough to just avoid the 2 rings.

but I suppose it's the 2 rings of other phases. Just follow another hunter who dodges well. And after a while, you'll have the muscle memory to dodge it.

BM is already really advantageous being so mobile.

Most of the time in pugs, the blue puddle is really what kills people, so keep that in mind too.

One thing I observed in our raid is the intuitive but suboptimal reaction of heading for the first possible gap. This is ok if the rings travel from outside through the blue bubble towards the middle directly. However, if the (first) rings come from the side, through the blue bubble, the first gap to avoid the rings is to run away from the middle to the outer wall. This makes dodging the second rings much harder as they spawn very close and you still have to wait for the previous rings to pass the blue bubble. If you are patient on the first rings and dodge them in the direction of the center you will have a much easier time dodging the second rings.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Kredon; 2017-04-19 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kredon View Post
    One thing I observed in our raid is the intuitive but suboptimal reaction of heading for the first possible gap. This is ok if the rings travel from outside through the blue bubble towards the middle directly. However, if the (first) rings come from the side through the blue bubble the first gap to avoid the is to run away from the middle to the outer wall. This makes dodging the second rings much harder as they spawn very close and you still have to wait for the previous rings to pass the blue bubble. If you are patient on the first rings an dodge them in the direction of the center you will have a much easier time dodging the second rings.

Hope that helps.
    This is exactly what I have found to be the case in my own runs- Do not rush into the first opening in the ring. It will almost always be on the outside, and will put you closer to where the next ring will be coming from. The best way to hand the rings is to stay calm, wait for the second, inside opening, and duck through it, then back behind the blue bubble as soon as it is clear.

Also, remember, there is nothing stopping you from going inside the blue bubble if you have to to dodge the rings. Though you shouldn't need to do this, you'll only be slowed until you touch a red bubble, and it's better than being dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    I often fail at reliably dodging the 2 rings during the H. Elisande encounter. Sometimes the positioning is bad which is fine but other times I just feel I am not able to run fast enough between the gaps before I get hit 2-3 times and die.

I try to use Turtle and Cheetah for 1st and 2nd 2-ring spawns but then onwards it is always hit-n-miss. A time or two I tried to disengage beyond the rings but it still killed me. What are the ways you reliably use to ensure not getting damaged from the rings?
    I am pretty sure i know why. Basically Elisandre teleports before she casts the rings, so depending on where she teleported the rings will close on you on different angles. (Your supposed to be sitting behind the blue bubble that applies slow) Now there are time where it seems the angle is really bad for you, and the only way to dodge them is to try to go around the blue speed reduction bubble and behind it, towards the outer space of the room. This is usually a mistake. Never do that, because then you have the second wave coming and you are behind the blue bubble. In fact i have never done this for months. So instead of running around the blue bubble what you want to do when the rings are closing in shitty angle just in that scenario is to wait and i do mean wait a lot more.. the rings will start converging to your blue bubble, and eventually they ll leave a small opening towards the center of the room. You will pass through that small opening and will be ready for the next wave, you need to trust me on this, you need patience to wait for that small opening, usually you ll be the only one doing that, cause few people know this the raid will be going through the outside.

There are only 2 "different" double rings, one you go around the outside and one you move back in (well I suppose maybe you could go outside for both. Aim is to get back behind the blue one asap. Supposedly if you can push her quick enough in P1 there wont be double rings in other phases

the exact pattern of the rings depends on the spot she teleports to, which the raid doesn't control. Regardless, if you just stand behind the blue bubble a sizable gap will appear on the right or left side that you shouldn't struggle to step through at regular run speed. Then just wait for the slowed rings to clear out, get behind the blue bubble again and do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    This is exactly what I have found to be the case in my own runs- Do not rush into the first opening in the ring. It will almost always be on the outside, and will put you closer to where the next ring will be coming from. The best way to hand the rings is to stay calm, wait for the second, inside opening, and duck through it, then back behind the blue bubble as soon as it is clear.

Also, remember, there is nothing stopping you from going inside the blue bubble if you have to to dodge the rings. Though you shouldn't need to do this, you'll only be slowed until you touch a red bubble, and it's better than being dead.
    Yep. This hang tight and get back to the middle of the room.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    She set a location for the echo in the previous phase. If you kill the first slow add, kill the fast add, get the buff, hit blood lust and hard burn her. She will only set up one echo for the next phase. Then in phase 2, you will only ever get one double wave. And assuming your group can kill the slow add and stay behind the bubble. It's pretty easy to dodge.

just look at where her image is standing, there will always be a huge gap on the side where is closest to the image casting the ring.

pulled 1m dps on that fight on heroic Last night, by far my favorite enconter on this raid. Should be hitting her up on mythic this weekend hopefully

You should be able to tank one of the rings no problem, just hit it early and run straight though.