Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Eurogamer rumor: SNES Mini currently in development

We might have a reason for the NES mini's discontinuation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...mini-this-year

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.
    The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.

Last week, Nintendo explained that it never intended NES mini to be a permanent product. From the company's perspective, the microconsole was planned as a cool novelty item perfect for Christmas 2016, and the numbers in which it was manufactured and shipped were expected to be enough to suit this goal.

But NES mini ended up breaking out to become more popular than anticipated and quickly sold out, leading to a bustling resale market on eBay. NES mini shipments continued into the early part of this year, but its production run could not be extended further - as SNES mini was slated for production instead.

Hopefully, more stock of the SNES mini will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages.

The reality of a SNES mini is certainly exciting - while the NES was unique for being Nintendo's first home console, the SNES arguably boasts the better software line-up, and a catalogue of classics far more advanced than their NES forebears. Compare The Legend of Zelda on NES to A Link to the Past, for example, or Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country.

I was just reading this, watch this be limited as fuck as well...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I will agree it will stay limited and will only stay in production until right around this time next year as well, but I expect there to be much more than what was produced with the NES mini.

10+ Year Old Account
    SNES is much more appealing to me.

It's impossible to guess at Nintendo's motives & direction though. They already have all the money so they just do whatever they want. Why was the NES Classic so constrained? Why was it discontinued after a stock boost in North America? WHY ARE THE CONTROLLER CORDS SO FUCKING SHORT?

We'll never know, and we'll also never be able to predict what they're up to with rumors like these.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Thinking about it, this seems like a marketing ploy for Switch Virtual Console.

"Hey! See these games you are playing? Well, not only can you get these games on the go, but some of the multiplayer ones come with local and online multiplayer on the Switch! You just need to give us more money!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Mini SNES?

I believe I have a leaked rough visualization:

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Well, if the price is around the 60 euros mark, i'm going to buy one day one.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I will buy the SNES mini if it includes Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy IV, V and VI.

Oh, and Dragon Quest V and VI and Breath of Fire 1 and 2 aaaand Lufia 1 and 2.

Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-04-19 at 11:40 AM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

I never heard about the NES Mini. If it comes with the games then it seems to be kinda cool. I guess it beats emulating games on a desktop/tablet because of the controller, alone.

Even though I never had a SNES, I guess I'll buy one for the lols, if not only because it seems to be somewhat hard to obtain since they won't manufacture a lot?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Lets see, buy an actual SNES off eBay plus buy one of those carts that let you install an SD card and play every SNES game, or buy this for triple the price...

Tough decision :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I never heard about the NES Mini. If it comes with the games then it seems to be kinda cool. I guess it beats emulating games on a desktop/tablet because of the controller, alone.
    You know you can get USB adaptors for NES controllers just like with most 80's/90's consoles yeah? Also you can get native USB clones of said controllers.

*looks at his .rar file with all SNES roms ever including translations
    *looks at his USB controller for SNES joypads

Neh...

10+ Year Old Account
    A mini SNES is better than a mini NES honestly. Hopefully has some good games like ChronoTrigger. The SNES era is also the generation I missed due to well.... age, and my older sis not getting that console, but I did use her NES and eventually got my own N64

random pocket computer + emulator > any pathetic attempt at cash grabbing from nintendo

Nah, I'm good, thanks.
    As great as my SNES was, I can play most everything from my childhood on my 3DS and everything else thanks to the net.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    I will buy the SNES mini if it includes Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy IV, V and VI.

Oh, and Dragon Quest V and VI and Breath of Fire 1 and 2 aaaand Lufia 1 and 2.

Well Dragon Quest 5 only initially came out in Japan so expect to see it on the Mini SNES JP version only. They did it with the Mini NES. FF3 was on the Japanese versions but not the EU ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discontinue Wii U, resell 20+ year old games.

Nintendo loves their fans.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Then why doesnt someone just post a how to RetroPi on here and then everyone here with half a brain can build one and be even more happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I got my mini NES, then. No wonder supply was so shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Glad I got my mini NES, then. No wonder supply was so shitty.
    Never bothered personally. Still have my NES so no point is there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Never bothered personally. Still have my NES so no point is there?
    Not a lot of people were that lucky. My NES stopped working when I was still a kid, and not long after I ended up in state care. Most of my belongings from my childhood, nay, all of them are gone. I have nothing left from when I was kid, not even a single toy. The closest thing I have is my lockbox from Campbell House that has letters and cards from friends and family from about 15 onwards.