Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    To add on to what has already been stated:
    1. The site has a history of having adds that contain malware.
    2. The site has a history of having VERY intrusive adds; mainly having loud sounds.
    3. The site, at times, loads a shit ton of adds which severely affects the performance of a browser.

Guarantee that none of the above will happen again, and I will happily white list mmo-c.
    I agree with the tree!

Deleted
    Louds ads is really not the problem here, I can understand a few ads but the ads on this website are absolutely atrocious.

Look at the sheer amount of requests on the front page, I know my net isnt the best but its almost certainly not the worst. This is the main problem and why I will not be disabling my adblock.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2017-04-21 at 07:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    You only should be seeing it every couple of days.

Definitely don't want to display most of those. Flashy ads is pretty subjective, and performance is always something we would like to improve.

Yeah, definitly have had a few of them pop up in the past. Not intentional at all, and removed as soon as someone reports them.

If you do unblock after blocking, you will receive lighter ads if that helps.
    I was getting an auto-direct-to-app-store ad on this website awhile ago, I reported it, and it took over a week to stop.

So I absolutely do not believe "We strive to not interrupt your visit with intrusive ads." :- I don't know if MMO Champion is personally your job or you're a volunteer but for your bosses perhaps, a lot more work needs to be done.

An example of a website I whitelist is Reddit. Yes they have ads on the side and sometimes as threads, but I find them totally non-intrusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    To add on to what has already been stated:
    1. The site has a history of having adds that contain malware.
    2. The site has a history of having VERY intrusive adds; mainly having loud sounds.
    3. The site, at times, loads a shit ton of adds which severely affects the performance of a browser.

Guarantee that none of the above will happen again, and I will happily white list mmo-c.
    This. I think MMO-Champion unlike other sites has an uphill battle to regain it's reputation regarding advertising. It is something they not given a sh*t about in the past and while they have been more responsible as of late it is going to take a long time to earn my (and others) trust.

- - - Updated - - -

What I'd also like to know is whether Moderators/Staff browse this site with all forms of Adblock/Script Disabling turned off?

(and whether they have ALWAYS had them turned off)

If staff members don't trust the responsibility of MMO-Champ not sure we should.

Won't be whitelisting any site, regardless of content, with a block count like this.

20 things showing up, 13 of which are labeled as ads. I don't mind a few but the number of ads, trackers and whatever else has gotten out of control, I only browse this site, wowhead and a few others on Ghostery for my tablet because of how intrusive everything has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Louds ads is really not the problem here, I can understand a few ads but the ads on this website are absolutely atrocious.

Look at the sheer amount of requests on the front page, I know my net isnt the best but its almost certainly not the worst. This is the main problem and why I will not be disabling my adblock.
    So I completely understand lots of requests is annoying. Is it causing performance issues, the page to take a long time to load, or something else that makes them annoying to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    I was getting an auto-direct-to-app-store ad on this website awhile ago, I reported it, and it took over a week to stop.
    Some of those mobile ads are hard to track down, but we definitely aren't leaving it up on purpose. I know it is annoying and will drive users away, it would never be worth it for us to display it intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If I didn't run into stupid video ads that stop my podcasts all the time on my mobile device I would totally whitelist the site on my desktop. It just seems like there are far too many shitty ads from the service the site uses. Part of the issue is Blizzard-centric ads. If advertisers realized that we don't want ridiculously intrusive ads they might get more views/clicks.
    That doesn't sound great at all. Is it stopping your podcasts because a video starts playing in the browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    20 things showing up, 13 of which are labeled as ads. I don't mind a few but the number of ads, trackers and whatever else has gotten out of control, I only browse this site, wowhead and a few others on Ghostery for my tablet because of how intrusive everything has become.
    If you turn off AdBlock, how many ads are actually on the page?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I've been a member here for 9 years, I never needed an add blocker (on desktop; mobile is really annoying) until recently. Now I won't be turning it off for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I was happy to support Curse with a subscription, until Twitch killed that program.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

I just turned off ublock as a test and good lord the page loaded so slow without it. Video thumbnails weren't appearing, the browser locked up and I couldn't scroll or change tabs.
    Never again.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Deleted
    I'd happily support MMO-Champion for some sort of stupid reward (like a 'Supporter' badge or some other perk) for a subscription rather than turn off AdBlock.

Maybe it's something you should look into.

Tablet is showing 5 ads on the front page, 3 on thread pages

Here's a link to what Ghostery was telling me what's present, maybe it's misrepresenting some things as actual ads unless some of them don't necessarily show up on mobile.

http://imgur.com/4Iowz2a

That's not really an answer. Personally I see around 3 ads per page, the issues I have are with the ad types themselves. The reason for so many blocked actions is because the ads aren't simple image links and thus have more scripts required to run them and, when those fail, they retry a couple times before just giving up.
    Right, we use several big ad networks, so there are some extra requests. I'm trying to understand how the requests are impacting you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    I'd happily support MMO-Champion for some sort of stupid reward (like a 'Supporter' badge or some other perk) for a subscription rather than turn off AdBlock.

Maybe it's something you should look into.
    Definitely something we have thought about, will keep it in mind as we implement new features.

Front page stopping my podcast again, everytime I load it and it is different ads... Like I said, it gets tiring reporting this stuff.
    Will pass along the feedback and see what can be done. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Tablet is showing 5 ads on the front page, 3 on thread pages

Here's a link to what Ghostery was telling me what's present, maybe it's misrepresenting some things as actual ads unless some of them don't necessarily show up on mobile.
    The number of ads on mobile is currently the same as on desktop. The listed trackers are from ad networks, an analytics tool we use to see what people are clicking on and how far they are scrolling down on the page, Google Analytics to monitor traffic numbers, another site traffic monitoring tool, and then several other ad networks.

So I completely understand lots of requests is annoying. Is it causing performance issues, the page to take a long time to load, or something else that makes them annoying to you?
    It's the performance issues honestly. With ads on, this site can take minutes to load. It's odd though, there aren't really tons of ads but there's a bunch of analytic things running. I assume those are the actual issue and are being stopped along with the ads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    it wouldnt be a big deal if it didnt cover a quarter of the site.
    Amen to that!
    Yeah, the notice was displaying far too often. Sorry about that. Should appear far less often now.
    What about the SIZE which is the most annoying thing?

I gave you guys a chance, but having audio auto play (some diaper rash ad) got you taken off the white list.

Right, we use several big ad networks, so there are some extra requests. I'm trying to understand how the requests are impacting you.

Definitely something we have thought about, will keep it in mind as we implement new features.

Will pass along the feedback and see what can be done. Sorry!

The number of ads on mobile is currently the same as on desktop. The listed trackers are from ad networks, an analytics tool we use to see what people are clicking on and how far they are scrolling down on the page, Google Analytics to monitor traffic numbers, another site traffic monitoring tool, and then several other ad networks.
    I don't actually even use AdBlock on my PC. I do use NoScript though. I've whitelisted MMO-Champ, Curse, and the google ad service. I don't whitelist the individual domains. So I only see ads that don't try to run any scripts of their own.

I use AdBlock on my phone. You guys have always had a problem with unstoppable redirect ads on mobile. I reported them a lot. They never went away... So sorry, Chaud, but the site was literally unusable on mobile.

Click Ad-block, click "Block an add on this page", highlight the new pop up and block it forever. I haven't seen it since.

I find it's especially gratifying blocking stuff that's asking me to not block stuff. I also love blocking pop ups that try to block a site completely if I'm using Ad-block. 'This site won't work if you use Ad-block'. Oh really?
    Last edited by Budong; 2017-04-22 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO-Champion is entirely unusable on mobile without an ad blocker.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people are fine with simple ads that only need to load once. The problem is the video ads that keep cycling through taking up bandwidth every time a new one loads. Add in the fact they won't stay muted and it makes for an annoying experience.

Adblocker blocked 37 thing visiting this page alone.

This website is the reason I sought out ad blockers, as a solution to the shameful delayed start, mega loud volume ads. I literally had to ban the ads in order to protect my ear drums. If someone can tell me how to even get my headset that loud for music, I would like to know. But I have never heard tale of anything like what this site does, on any website elsewhere. They are the ones that started WWIII; I see no reason to feel sorry for their revenue stream. That said, if they would commit to never again using audible ads, volume level circumvention, and delayed start tactics, I would white list them. But, it would require a formal statement of that policy.