Experienced sub rogue hoping to improve dps and meet SimC numbers

Hey everyone! I've been playing sub since Mists, but was lagging behind in dps this xpac. I found it difficult to keep up and my WL parses were all below 50th percentile. I recently had a few breakthroughs and learned more about the spec, I'm doing a ton more damage, and I felt like I was really doing great! I was able to do 572k dps on Star Augur and it got me in the top ten parses in my ilvl bracket for that fight.

But then:

Simcraft tells me I can be doing 760k!

So I'm wondering what I can be doing to improve my dps. Here's the log for the fight I referred to above: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done
    It's my best fight yet, but it's nowhere near my sim DPS.

And here's a Krosus fight, since I believe he's closer to what the default sims do:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Some basic info about how I try to play:

My legendaries are shoulders and boots.
    My trinkets are CoF and Elemental Foci
    My talents are 1223211 (Anticipation)
    My opener is pot > SB > Pull > SSx3 > NB > SD > SSx2 > Evis > SSx2 > Vanish > Evisx2
    For this fight, I spent some time using Shuriken Storm > Evis when the adds began to spawn so I'd have three dances for the big add.
    Other than that, I do the normal rotation for the duration of the fight.

Does anyone have any advice that I can use to get closer to that 760k target? I recognize that simcraft isn't simming a Star Augur fight, but there must be something pretty major that I'm missing to be off by almost 200k.
    Last edited by Bowshewicz; 2017-04-19 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowshewicz View Post
    Hey everyone! I've been playing sub since Mists, but was lagging behind in dps this xpac. I found it difficult to keep up and my WL parses were all below 50th percentile. I recently had a few breakthroughs and learned more about the spec, I'm doing a ton more damage, and I felt like I was really doing great! I was able to do 572k dps on Star Augur and it got me in the top ten parses in my ilvl bracket for that fight.

But then:

So I'm wondering what I can be doing to improve my dps. Here's the log for the fight I referred to above: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done
    It's my best fight yet, but it's nowhere near my sim DPS.

And here's a Krosus fight, since I believe he's closer to what the default sims do:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Some basic info about how I try to play:

My legendaries are shoulders and boots.
    My trinkets are CoF and Elemental Foci
    My talents are 1223211 (Anticipation)
    My opener is pot > SB > Pull > SSx3 > NB > SD > SSx2 > Evis > SSx2 > Vanish > Evisx2
    For this fight, I spent some time using Shuriken Storm > Evis when the adds began to spawn so I'd have three dances for the big add.
    Other than that, I do the normal rotation for the duration of the fight.

Does anyone have any advice that I can use to get closer to that 760k target? I recognize that simcraft isn't simming a Star Augur fight, but there must be something pretty major that I'm missing to be off by almost 200k.
    I think the real problem is SimC in this scenario.

My sim puts you at around 645k, which, below 900ilvl is reasonable. I'd be a little surprised to see a sustained 761k at 890.

Interesting that we're getting such different numbers. I'm using version 720-01 of SimCraft for build 23826. I know that there have been a lot of updates to it since 7.2 came out. Which version are you on? And are you modifying any of the default settings? I'm just running everything straight out of the box, so that might be contributing to inaccuracy in my results.

Interesting that we're getting such different numbers. I'm using version 720-01 of SimCraft for build 23826. I know that there have been a lot of updates to it since 7.2 came out. Which version are you on? And are you modifying any of the default settings? I'm just running everything straight out of the box, so that might be contributing to inaccuracy in my results.
    I used AMR's new simulator instead of SimC to see if there was a difference.

If you sort Krosus HC logs for Sub only in your item bracket, the #1 parse is 687K.

There's some setting or something wrong on your end. Perhaps number of targets is wrong? Or the length of the fight?

Impossible to say without you linking the entire readout.

Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I spend a lot of time comparing sims to logs and can offer a few tips (although I am not a rogue expert, I am a sim expert). You definitely want to use our Krosus sim (script explained in detail here), since comparing to a target dummy (or patchwerk) sim will be too high.

1. You can sim your exact character setup from a log to compare on AMR. Go to the simulator, then click the 'import from log' option. Enter your region and realm, then paste the WCL url that has your character selected (like this view).

2. In 'more options' - set your consumables. The fight length will already be filled in to match your logs.

3. For the boss script - use the custom "DW No Miss" one I made that mimics the in-game bug on krosus where DW's don't miss. After clicking on that link, there will be an option at the top of that page to add to your list (you must be logged in). Then you can select it from the sim setup page.

4. Simulate, then compare.

I did it for you based off your log. Here's the report: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simula...a7713b4fb6220c

It looks like the largest chunk of damage loss comes from not using as many eviscerates as possible. If you did 29 more, to match the simulation, you would have gained an extra 43 million damage, which is 145,000 DPS.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Hey Zoopercat!

Thanks for running that stuff for me! I'm glad everything seems to work out. I'll definitely keep that advice in mind and try to fit in more eviscerates when I can. I didn't know that AMR had the import from log tool, but I'll be using it in the future to keep improving. 29 is quite a lot of eviscerates, so I'm not sure I can get away with blaming "doing mechanics" there (^_^);

Thanks again for running that simulation on my behalf.

But then:

I had a similar experience when simming Otl. I couldn't match my sim numbers so I checked my config and fight duration was the main cause of the incorrect results.

Change your fight duration and then you should see more closely matching numbers.

Deleted
    Damn I'm jealous since you have Bis legendaries. But on quick glimpse I compared your logs to my logs on krosus and for somereason you cast 78SS:es durning the fight where I did 98 (our fights were same lenght). You also cast only 51 eviscrates where I managed to fit 75 in the same amount of time.

Soo maybe you are not optimising your shadowdances correctly? With boots you should get 4 shadowstrikes with pretty much every shadowdance. I would post my logs for you put Mmo champion won't let me post links before I've posted a few posts

I think part of the issue on Krosus was my uptime on the boss. I'm gonna go ahead and put a good spin on things and say I was "very proactive" at performing mechanics

Zoopercat told me the same thing about my # of casts, so that's something I'm definitely going to focus on.

As for the boots, I was actually considering switching them out! I didn't feel a huge increase in fluidity after wearing them and I actually sim higher in SimC with the bracers instead. Since it's kind of common knowledge that the boots are the best legendary, this is just going to be a test -- but I'm curious to see how that test goes.

Update: The boots are great. I switched them off and my rotation felt way clunkier. Perhaps the sim was still right and I could have squeezed more dps out of perfect play, but everything was much smoother wearing them. A+ would recommend to others.
    Last edited by Bowshewicz; 2017-04-21 at 03:59 AM.

I noticed you often have like 90-92% nightblade uptime. Aim for 98-100%. You cast 84 shadowstrikes in a 4:34 Krosus kill and I cast that amount in a fight that took 3:14. See what I'm saying. You need to min max your play, especially considering you have by far the two best legendaries.

Hmm, you're right, I let Nightblade drop several times in both fights. I must be getting lazy with it

I'll scribble that down as something to work on. I can't believe how often I let it drop; keeping NB up is like subtlety 101.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    I had a similar experience when simming Otl. I couldn't match my sim numbers so I checked my config and fight duration was the main cause of the incorrect results.

Change your fight duration and then you should see more closely matching numbers.
    I tried some new sims and set the duration to 7 minutes, since that's how long we took to down Star Augur. Simcraft gave me 746k and AMR gave me 714k (I used the target dummy since the Krosus fight isn't allowed to go past the last bridge break). I did a third test in Simcraft with the LightMovement fight style and the result was 724k.

Oddly enough, our Krosus kill took 299 seconds, so I figure I didn't need to do an extra sim for that =\