... LastLast

Was Vista a sucky OS?

I just want to hear what people thinks.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

15+ Year Old Account
    When it launched, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Most people had problems with it in general terms so yes.

At the same time i disabled the search indexer the first day i got them and had 0 problems with them therefor i didnt understand why people were so mad

Xp was simple and clean. Vista was a mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a technician standpoint, I had more problems with Vista than any other OS (Ranging from 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

It pretty much lacked a number of features that made XP good, but had none of the stuff that made 7 good as well. I had more problems that resulted in a Backup/Format/Reinstall than any other.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

if I remember right the biggest issues was UAC issues, drivers and it was a bit of a hog for the systems of the time when it came out (it was placed on some really under powered computers with low mem) but my recollection may be off some?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Xp was simple and clean. Vista was a mess.
    XP was horrible for the first couple of years, too. It needed like two service packs and 300 other (pulling numbers out of my ass) updates to not make it crash with bsod all the time.

Windows 7, 8 and 10 are on a completely other level when it comes to stability and finalized product at launch when compared to anything Microsoft released earlier. All the older OS's were unstable. I think I have seen bsod maybe once or twice after Windows 7 was launched.....that was almost 10 years ago.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I was a normie when I used Vista and I ended up with a lot of viruses on it that basically bricked it so. Yes it was bad.

Thanks for the responses everyone... I used Vista back in the day but never had any problems as far as I remember but then again I only use my computer to play computer games and to surf the internet.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    7 was what Vista was meant to be.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    7 was what Vista was meant to be.
    Literally this.

As far as the design of windows, they get grouped into different releases. 95, 98, ME is "Windows 4", XP and 2000 is "Windows 5", Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 are "Windows 6" and Windows 10 is literally release "10"

Vista was the first of the "NT 6.0" releases, and from a technical standpoint is very similar to Windows 7. Many of the features under the hood remain the same. It was just a trash fire though in actual implementation. Effectively "Windows 7 Alpha".
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I agree that Win7 as really the Vista idea, but Vista just had some REALLY BAD key management involved that literally destroyed the bridge between XP to 7, just like Win8 pretty much did the same thing..

98SecondEdition -> Win ME (horrible) -> Win XP -> Win Vista (awful) -> Win 7 -> Win 8 (alpha edition LITERALLY made me change jobs in the tech scene) -> Win 10

Every other "consumer" edition of Windows is absolutely freaken horrible.

When Vista SP1 came out and made DWM one thread instead of opening a new process every time you opened a new Explorer window things improved tremendously. Vanilla Vista was just awful (especially since so many people bought Vista machines with 512MB RAM, which was just tragic) but they really improved the OS during its lifespan.
    Super casual.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Yes, but not nearly as bad as Windows 8. Windows 8 was a historic disaster... so bad that they named the next system "10" to distance themselves from it. The operating system is named Windows, and you have applications that take up the whole screen, can't be run in windowed mode, and continue running in the background with no evidence of them on the main screen? Are you fucking serious?

I'm curious to see if Microsoft can break the trend of Bad OS > Good OS that's been going on for some time now...
    8.1 was good and honestly? I even think 10 is good.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

8.1 and 10 are the best iterations of Windows yet IMO at least as far as the underpinnings of the OS go. 8.1 was saddled with a bad start menu that was easily rectified by free mods like ClassicShell. 10 has just a ton of built in ad/spy/bloatware that can also be shut down with registry tweaks or third-party apps (I like ShutUp10! and use it all the time) but underneath is a rather sleek OS that is efficient, relatively stable, and pleasant to use.

I despise Microsoft for plenty of reasons, but putting out a bad OS isn't one of them.

(Also I'm pretty sure they chose "10" to bring mental parity with Apple's OS X and to make their "last version of Windows ever" not be 9.)
    Super casual.

IMO vista's real problems came in its nagging. I mean constant nagging. Granted UAC was in its infancy then, but come on, even XP at its worst didn't nag that much.

That and the indexer and USB drivers blew chunks.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There were so many issues with Vista that it's tough to even remember them all. One issue was that Vista had 6 different versions you could buy, with various levels of features. They realized that was a mistake and went to basically just the Home and Pro we got in later Windows. The Aero interface had various issues too.

The biggest problem though with Vista was drivers. I'm not sure if MSFT just didn't work closely enough with vendors or what the cause was, but drivers just always seemed to be a problem.

Pushing IE7 in Vista didn't go over well either and pretty much backfired into Firefox and Chrome dominating.

All in all Windows 10 I've been fairly happy with. Cortana is worthless, I could do without the Windows Store suggestions in an OS I've purchased, and the privacy/telemetry stuff is a bit much. But it's been stable and quick which is all you really want in an OS.

It wasn't nearly as bad on a brand new, ludicrous horsepower machine built on big brand-name parts - in fact it was pretty close to OK.

The more off-brand or gimp your machine was though, the more hellish your experience.

Yes .

Vista was bad yeah, but I'd rather have it than 8/10. At least I know where my start menu is XD