Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    New PTR Build:

Lol. So our new tier 7 talent in place of Phantom Singularity is now a nerfed version of Siphon Life.

(They swapped positions of the talents).
    Soul effigy removed and execute talent placed in it's place. But yeah reason to nerf SL is dumb. Haunt nerfed and totally useless once again. I don't see +15% buff to all spells they promised, once ptr will be up I will check spell by spell. Also t20 is good now, but they will obviously nerf 2p bonus into oblivion. No new pvp talent in place of death embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    New PTR Build:

Lol. So our new tier 7 talent in place of Phantom Singularity is now a nerfed version of Siphon Life.

(They swapped positions of the talents).
    Now deals 90% SP over 15s, and heals for 60% of damage dealt. As opposed to 57.8% SP over 15s and healing for 100% damage dealt. Definitely a nerf there. Also, PS damage was buffed as part of the move (though the effect radius was nerfed).

Edit: Numbers from mmo-champ's front page, wowhead doesn't seem to show SL damage buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlighthell View Post
    But yeah reason to nerf SL is dumb. Haunt nerfed and totally useless once again. I don't see +15% buff to all spells they promised, once ptr will be up I will check spell by spell. Also t20 is good now, but they will obviously nerf 2p bonus into oblivion. No new pvp talent in place of death embrace.
    Check your numbers, your details, and your sources.

The lvl 100 version of SL deals more damage. They reverted the SS cost of Haunt, which is why it lost damage and uptime. The 15% buff is in with this PTR build, but as one of those class auras they use now to fine tune across the board buffs and nerfs until the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    Check your numbers, your details, and your sources.

The lvl 100 version of SL deals more damage. They reverted the SS cost of Haunt, which is why it lost damage and uptime. The 15% buff is in with this PTR build, but as one of those class auras they use now to fine tune across the board buffs and nerfs until the very end.
    Yeah actually rechecked wowhead. 15% dmg aura is here. Sl should be checked in game, because there's different info on wowhead and mmo. "up to 50%" part of death embrace is not clear enough. Will it ramp up? Also I think they will nerf it, but if they nerf it to 30% it will almost match sp 1st talent.

The new set bonusses sound interesting. The only thing I don't like is that they continue to tune our shard generation through set bonusses.

The talents swaps: Lol, what? Death embrace will be great, and moving it was a good choice. But i don't understand the Phantom Singularity and SL swap. Even with it's buffed damage I don't see SL win over DE. With MG and DE we will most likely play the drain cycle play below 35% again, which means UA is priority #1, and will deal immensive amounts of damage once again. It seems impossible to me that SL over 100% of a fight can compete with 50% increased UA damage for 35% of the fight, or on council fights with Writhe and AC... my first impression is not good but maybe math will prove me wrong (i hope so).

And for PS: RIP (again). As how AoE works at live, I hardly get 1 or 2 SoCs out before the packs die. Can't see how PS will be able to compete with StS by any means. Seriously, I used it during EN/ToV a little bit but I don't think that we need this talent anymore, and it should either be baseline or replaced with something different.

Deleted
    The overall impression I get is that they are trying to make the talents exchangeable again so that you pick style rather than pure numbers...

However, the devs specifically speaking about Haunt being a shard spender and then almost immediately reverting it again is weird. Haunt upfront damage nerf is pretty bad.

Phatom Singularity as a 100 talent was shit and no one ever used it; it's still shit compared to Sow the Seeds and people still aren;t going to take it. Sow the Seeds will just do more damage and it has upfront damage, PS is simply too slow and the cooldown is too long.

Difficult to say about Siphon Life but again the impression I get is that they are trying to make the SL and DE close damage wise, whatever you're doing, so you can choose a playstyle (SL for more dots, DE for a more drain-based play), with Conduit a sort of all-purpose in between talent. At a guess, SL will win out on a council fight but it's a bit odd to have a weak dot as a 100 talent.

The tier armous bonuses are much better, but I can;t see that 25% chance staying. Also I'm assuming that the shard procs off Corruption are going to have a diminishing return effect like Agony OR that 2.5 procs a minute is a ceiling no matter ho wmuch you spread corruption around. But an average of an extra shard every 24 seconds doesn;t sound all that great....

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    The overall impression I get is that they are trying to make the talents exchangeable again so that you pick style rather than pure numbers...

However, the devs specifically speaking about Haunt being a shard spender and then almost immediately reverting it again is weird. Haunt upfront damage nerf is pretty bad.

Phatom Singularity as a 100 talent was shit and no one ever used it; it's still shit compared to Sow the Seeds and people still aren;t going to take it. Sow the Seeds will just do more damage and it has upfront damage, PS is simply too slow and the cooldown is too long.

Difficult to say about Siphon Life but again the impression I get is that they are trying to make the SL and DE close damage wise, whatever you're doing, so you can choose a playstyle (SL for more dots, DE for a more drain-based play), with Conduit a sort of all-purpose in between talent. At a guess, SL will win out on a council fight but it's a bit odd to have a weak dot as a 100 talent.

The tier armous bonuses are much better, but I can;t see that 25% chance staying. Also I'm assuming that the shard procs off Corruption are going to have a diminishing return effect like Agony OR that 2.5 procs a minute is a ceiling no matter ho wmuch you spread corruption around. But an average of an extra shard every 24 seconds doesn;t sound all that great....
    In conjunction with certain legendaries it would help during dry spells in that it will play like soul shards wasn't a problem but it's rng on top of rng really.

Deleted
    Haunt is still never going to be used over WiA or MG. PS will still not be used over StS. SL will have niche uses but I doubt it'll see much use compared to SC or DE. I really like the new set bonuses and the new talent. Looking forward to the new patch!

Deleted
    According to the tooltips, the 15% damage buff isn;t there. It's hard to check with actual damage because the live and ptr multiplier talents are so different.

The new Siphon Life is definitely buffed though. Much higher damage than live.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwyre View Post
    Haunt is still never going to be used over WiA or MG. PS will still not be used over StS. SL will have niche uses but I doubt it'll see much use compared to SC or DE. I really like the new set bonuses and the new talent. Looking forward to the new patch!
    Yes, I think you're right. The Haunt nerf is probably to bring it into line with the other talents but the cooldown make sit a pain in the arse compared to passive talents. As I said, I suspect the idea os to make Siphon and Embrace roughly the same damage but with different styles of play, with Conduit sitting between them: Siphon if you want an extra dot to manage, Embrace if you don't.

There will be a lot of theorycrafting and there will invariably be a winner.

As I said just now, on the EU PTR, the 15% buff isn't there, at least not on the tooltips.

15% buff to corruption is definitely here. Agony got screwed tooltip for me since 7.1. Haunt is still garbage: in st situation mg simply more fluid in cleave/multidot writhe better. New PS damage output seems the same as old SL.
    Last edited by Sunlighthell; 2017-04-26 at 10:02 PM.

taking away an entire dot just to gain a passive execute is NOT in any way a good thing for aff locks. it was bad enough having to drop it for seeds, and albeit its nice that we can now have both, but we're still forced into losing SL. Either give us 2 dots passive, or 3 dots passive. no execute phases last long enough to justify dropping a dot. warriors have proven that time and again with frothing berserker.

It will come down to:
    more damage during 65% of the fight, or
    more damage during the last 35% of the fight

warlocks speak up and dont let this horse shit go live.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmuscle View Post
    taking away an entire dot just to gain a passive execute is NOT in any way a good thing for aff locks. it was bad enough having to drop it for seeds, and albeit its nice that we can now have both, but we're still forced into losing SL. Either give us 2 dots passive, or 3 dots passive. no execute phases last long enough to justify dropping a dot. warriors have proven that time and again with frothing berserker.

It will come down to:
    more damage during 65% of the fight, or
    more damage during the last 35% of the fight

warlocks speak up and dont let this horse shit go live.
    Um, what? Fury warriors are in an amazing place and shadow priests are virtually an execute DPS class which is why guilds stacked them in nighthold's world race.

What the hell is so good about maintaining a short duration dot that's completely desync'd from all your other dots and gets in the way of drain cycles anyways.

Part of why affliction sucked as a multidotter compared to shadow priest anyways was because the power of the dots that you can cleave (not UA) is so diluted and you spend an extra global on each mob to do what shadow word pain and vampiric touch outdamage combined.

Deleted
    The way DE works ensures that unless you get a boss with freak mechanics like the one in Eye, Siphon Life will win out, because DE has a ramping effect (joy) and doesn;t reach 50% until almost the end.

afaik Blizz always makes active abilities do more damage than passive ones.

DE just gives you more damage without doing anything pro-active. Siphon requires actual player input so it willalmost certainly end up being better, even if the difference isn;t big.

Kind of like the SE vs SC thing. Although in that case most players too SC, not because it was easier, but because multiple shard procs in succession were so useful (and of course SE's pain in the arse mechanical failures)

They also took it because it was easier.

In mythic progression, nobody gives a shit about parse ranking. You grab the reliable option that takes the least effort while letting you focus on performing the fight mechanics instead of fighting your class rotation as well.

What matters is you get mechanics done, get the kill, get your loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    In mythic progression, nobody gives a shit about parse ranking.
    They exist, they always exist.

What matters is you get mechanics done, get the kill, get your rank.
    Fixed.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    I really don't get why everyone is getting so hung up on this ramping execute. Would you prefer if it said "25% increased damage for mobs 35% or lower"? Although effectively it is exactly the same?

Also, especially on Progress, the likelihood of people dying or dead in the last couple of %age points of a boss is rather high. Affli has an extremely high likelihood of still being alive (because of the insane self heal). Therefore, you actually get MORE out of a ramping execute than out of a non-ranping one.

In the majority of our boss kills, we do Heroism at the start or in an earlier phase that we want to push. That means that we get THAT benefit first and then the execute benefit even more because the boss isn't heroism'ed down quicker through the execute phase.

Purely if numbers stay as they are and purely based on back-of-the-envelope calcs, currently DE is the strongest talent in the row.

I think making this out 100 talent is a bad idea. I would have prefered they did not do the 15% across the board increase and made a version of this a baseline execute because when the new raids come out, affliction will be the first to be asked to sit for progression on a boss because until a guild can reliably actually get the target to 35% health, we are going to appear lower on the damage meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    I really don't get why everyone is getting so hung up on this ramping execute. Would you prefer if it said "25% increased damage for mobs 35% or lower"? Although effectively it is exactly the same?

Also, especially on Progress, the likelihood of people dying or dead in the last couple of %age points of a boss is rather high. Affli has an extremely high likelihood of still being alive (because of the insane self heal). Therefore, you actually get MORE out of a ramping execute than out of a non-ranping one.

In the majority of our boss kills, we do Heroism at the start or in an earlier phase that we want to push. That means that we get THAT benefit first and then the execute benefit even more because the boss isn't heroism'ed down quicker through the execute phase.

Purely if numbers stay as they are and purely based on back-of-the-envelope calcs, currently DE is the strongest talent in the row.
    I would prefer a static 25%, yes.

In m+ with how short boss fights are, you gain very little benefit out of a ramp up talent. It's essentially going to be a raid talent. It will be useless in open world as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    I would prefer a static 25%, yes.

In m+ with how short boss fights are, you gain very little benefit out of a ramp up talent. It's essentially going to be a raid talent. It will be useless in open world as well.
    So M+ mobs don't have a <35% HP phase? Even if it's short, they do. And if your dots tick at 0.01% of the mobs life then you have an insane benefit of it. It's not a "real" ramp up: It's not "after 2 minutes your execute is 50%". The quicker mobs go down, the faster you have higher execute bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    So M+ mobs don't have a <35% HP phase? Even if it's short, they do. And if your dots tick at 0.01% of the mobs life then you have an insane benefit of it. It's not a "real" ramp up: It's not "after 2 minutes your execute is 50%". The quicker mobs go down, the faster you have higher execute bonus.
    Except I'm not getting an extended period of benefit for it to even become a useful talent; the amount of ticks done at the significant threshold are minimal. Not with these fucking demonhunters and fury warriors and their retarded fel craze trinket.