Tanking the Demon Within

We have yet to down Mythic Gul'dan but have recently gotten to the last phase. Our Guardian Bear will be missing raid the next couple weeks so instead I'm tanking Illidan (The Demon Within) during the last phase. I seem to be having survival issues. He just hits like a freaking truck and since Vamp isn't up for every Soulsever, I feel like I'm always on deaths door. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips for tanking during this phase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by DKpod; 2017-05-09 at 02:33 AM.

i dunno what your offtank is but he is surely more suitable to tank illidan. you just take care of flamecrash and soulsever for him and let him tank illidan. spec into Rune Tap for soulsever and equip aggramars if you have them to be able to run faster to go and come back from flamecrash. also tank the add

so you: add, flamecrash, soulsever
    your offtank:illidan and have him remember to get behind him when you taunt for soulsever

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I felt fine when I tanked him, but only when VB was up lol.

You have two options. You can just have the other tank do the phase all by himself (that's what I did, our other tank was a bear) and you just bait flame crashes. Or you guys can just trade off, which I've seen a few DK/X combos do. Basically take sever, he taunts, then you bait. Then next time he does the same for you. I think this is more the 'intended' method of doing it, but a lot of guilds just keep it simple by having one tank brute force through the soul sever and zero tank swaps happening.

Pretty sure best tanks for the last phase are Bear/BrM. I basically had a complete setup to eat every scythe comfortably in the first couple phases so our bear had everything going into the last phase. Feels shitty baiting crashes in the last phase with zero mobility, but it's still easy to get to the edge and put the adds in good positions.

Awesome thanks for the info!