Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Does Blizzard want to force us to change between main specs?

If you look at how the specs perform throughout Legion so far, you can see that there isn't a single class where the differences between specs were at least somewhat consistent. The problem is not that one spec is performing slightly better after changes, it is that it performs way better:

Mage: Fire was god at start, but now it's horrible, so mages are pretty much forced to change to frost.

Hunter: MM was the go-to, now it looks like BM is stronger.

Warrior: Arms at start, Fury now.

Death Knight: Unholy then Frost.

Warlock: Demo/Destro at start, Affliction now, and it seems like it will go back to Destro if nothing changes until 7.2.5 launch.

Rogue: I am not 100% sure about rogues, but I think at start Outlaw was the best, and now it's Assassination.

It's needless to say that someone should play what they want and like, but it's normal for someone to want and like to perform the best they can. So if someone wants to do that, they will have to switch specs, no matter their preference.

What are your thoughts?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts are, play what you enjoy. you will always do less DPS in a spec you don't enjoy.

Naaah, they want us to play Demon Hunters.. You can't change specs there :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    My thoughts are, play what you enjoy. you will always do less DPS in a spec you don't enjoy.
    Yep because mastering 3-5 button rotation is so hard....

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    If you look at how the specs perform throughout Legion so far, you can see that there isn't a single class where the differences between specs were at least somewhat consistent. The problem is not that one spec is performing slightly better after changes, it is that it performs way better:

Mage: Fire was god at start, but now it's horrible, so mages are pretty much forced to change to frost.

Warlock: Demo/Destro at start, Affliction now, and it seems like it will go back to Destro if nothing changes until 7.2.5 launch.

Rogue: I am not 100% sure about rogues, but I think at start Outlaw was the best, and now it's Assassination.

It's needless to say that someone should play what they want and like, but it's normal for someone to want and like to perform the best they can. So if someone wants to do that, they will have to switch specs, no matter their preference.

What are your thoughts?
    I don't know about the rest of the classes, but for warlock you may want to hold your horses, nothing says that Destro will be the best just because it's getting changes. It's niche (which is 2 target), is getting fucked in the ass. In my opinion, Wreak Havoc should have been our 'OP' niche. Just like how DH's or warrs can do 5 mil dps with a single button in 1 second in a fight of more than 10 mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omgclayaiken View Post
    nah i see what he means. if you dont enjoy something, you wont put as much effort and passion into what you do, which always lessens the overall quality of whatever you are doing

Deleted

What are your thoughts?
    I'm thinking that Blizzard doesn't decide what you play. If YOU decide YOU want to play whichever spec is theoretically outperforming others and switch everytime something changes and that theoretical difference is above 0.1%, then that is not Blizzard forcing you to change main spec. That's YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by omgclayaiken View Post
    3-10 would be more accurate, and it's moreso about if you aren't having fun you aren't as inclined to try or motivated to do well etc.

They arent forcing you anything, there are many factors on how DPS works and its mostly irrelevant.

As example you mentioned rogues.

Outlaw was never better, it just requires less gear to start performing, so when no one had gear it seemed like the only way, and voila, HC EN out, and that 1 rogue that went assassination is outdpsing everyone.

Arms isnt worst than Fury, Fury can just cheese DPS with BC+OF on adds while Arms is more ST oriented, ST wise they are about equal.

Unholy DK's still do fine damage (Obviously frost is better), but why play a 10 button spec when you can play a 3 button spec and do the same or more? Thats actually problematic and Blizzard needs to actually address this.

But most other specs is just people riding the bandwagon.

I am not saying there arent problems with things, i am saying Blizzard doesnt care as much.

If fight requires 800k DPS to be done, and Fire mage does 850K but Frost does 920K, then obviously there is a problem but its within acceptable numbers because fire outputs the required DPS for the fight too so Blizzard couldnt care much about your e-peen on warcraft logs and why you rerolled.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-21 at 09:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Unholy DK's still do fine damage (Obviously frost is better), but why play a 10 button spec when you can play a 3 button spec and do the same or more? Thats actually problematic and Blizzard needs to actually address this.
    Frost DK is a 3 button spec? Please link me a log to a frost dk that uses 3 abilities and is performing at 10% of what he could be.

Oh, you can't. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Herpie View Post
    Frost DK is a 3 button spec? Please link me a log to a frost dk that uses 3 abilities and is performing at 10% of what he could be.

Oh, you can't. Okay?
    You cant read eh? And are you seriously gonna say that Frost is harder than Unholy?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You cant read eh? And are you seriously gonna say that Frost is harder than Unholy?
    Please show me where i said frost is harder to play than unholy.

Oh, you can't. Okay?

Oh, you can't. Okay?
    Adorable how butthurt you got over a comment about your spec.

This is why discussions about DPS cant be held, play your "OH LUL BREATH IS HARD WHILE SPEC PASSIVELY CLEAVES EVERYWHERE CAUSE GAME IS HARD" and get insulted whenever its mentioned.

Oh, you can't. Okay?
    He means that Frost is doing more DPS than Unholy despite being the easier spec to play. I agree, if you put in more effort you should do more DPS.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard could be forcing people into switching specs, but only if they nerfed some specs to the ground, which have not happend.

All current DPS specs (yes, even Survival) can progress through mythic and kill gul'dan. Therefore, unless you are an impatient player and would rather play a character you hate than a character with 10% less dmg, then you are going to be fine no matter what spec you choose.

So no, Blizzard is not forcing you to switch specs in anyway. They balance. They make stronger specs a bit weaker and make weaker specs a bit stronger. It is how the game has always worked.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but just play what you enjoy. Unless you're in a top x guild. You'll enjoy the game more.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Did not noticed that on my Monk, whatever spec I use it the same.... *sob*

Deleted
    Play what you enjoy guys but if you enjoy fire mage and your guild has 2 frost mages and wants to kill a mythic boss then prepare to enjoy the bench.

So yea, for content up to heroic play what you enjoy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbull View Post
    He means that Frost is doing more DPS than Unholy despite being the easier spec to play. I agree, if you put in more effort you should do more DPS.
    Really? So please tell me how unholy uses more abilities than frost.

Unholy:
    - Outbreak
    - Dark transformation
    - Festering strike
    - Soul reaper
    - Apocalypse
    - Scourge strike
    - Death coil

= 7 abilities

Frost:

- Howling blast
    - Remorseless winter
    - Obliterate
    - BoS
    - SF
    - FS
    - Pillar of frost
    - HRW

= 8 abilties

But please, tell me again how unholy is a 10 ability "hard to play" spec while frost is a 3 ability "easy to play" spec so you can justify getting crushed by frost dk's "bcz dey 2ez 2play 3ability spec".

7+ Year Old Account

It's needless to say that someone should play what they want and like, but it's normal for someone to want and like to perform the best they can. So if someone wants to do that, they will have to switch specs, no matter their preference,

What are your thoughts?
    They have been doing this since TBC, nothing new. Vanilla they didn-t because it was just a clusterfuck of specs.
    Before they used resistance type instances, balance changes, tier bonus changes, trinkets, boss encounter types etc.
    They do this so people play multiple specs and in WoW there is no "main" spec. You are a mage, not a fire mage. You are a warrior, not a fury warrior. You are expected to play your class not pigueon hold yourself into one spec, so I see no problems in blizzard changing specs around.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-04-21 at 10:14 AM.