New to Rogue - SIN advice appreciated

Hey lads,

I'm fairly new to rogue and I was wondering if you had any advice for newby me.

I have the mantle and will of valeera I simmed the 4 set bonus against valeera and the 2 legendaries sim slightly higher. So I was wondering if I should buy the craftable legendary boots, in favour of the stats and being able to equip my 4 set bonus; they sell for about 120k now. Furthermore, what are the chances of the BiS boots dropping soon, right?

I was also wondering if I should continue playing around Surge of Toxins. I basically pool energy so I can Envenom inside of Surge as much as possible. For example, I have 5 CP but I wait for my energy to regenerate before I Envenom, then I muti to 4-5 cp and wait until Surge almost drops and Envenom again. Am I doing this correctly? Or is Envenoming inside Surge overrated?

I was also wondering if I'm itemising my rogue correctly. A helpful guildy explained most basic things, like mastery being king and so forth, but am I overdoing it?

I'm still getting to grips with the class, but I am enjoying it immensely.

Thanks for your help!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...creto/advanced

EDIT: I just had the legendary bracers Zoldyck drop in LFR, so I needn't worry about buying the boots anymore.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-04-22 at 01:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your alt rogue has bis trinkets and a bis legendary? And is higher ilvl than my main rogue? Feelsgoodman

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    If you can afford the boots then buy the boots. The stats alone will give you increased overall damage.

Itemisation is as follows

Agility > Mastery > Versatility/Crit > Haste.

You want as little haste as possible.
    As you have the shoulders, you want to probably go for vers instead of crit, as the crit does nothing for you when you open, or use vanish, but the versatility will.

I personally don't pool for the sake of keeping surge up at all times, but inside your dps cooldown window, you want to make sure you have 100% uptime (throughout the kingsbane duration too) of SoT.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see the math showing vers = crit. My feelcraft senses are tingling.

15+ Year Old Account
    And a reddit post about paladin nicknames is relevant how...?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I'd like to see the math showing vers = crit. My feelcraft senses are tingling.
    It makes sense that crit is worth less if shoulders give you 100% crit anyway. That said, it's only during stealth/vanish.

I'm really curious to know if there's a big difference between pooling before an envenom or just 'spamming' it (e.g. using it whenever you have 4-5 cp and enough energy to cast it).

Are the bracers that dropped for me today any good?

I've heard both sides of the coin to envenoming inside of surge. When you can, you should. I find myself casting a lot more envenoms since KB is like always coming off CD. Priority #1 is always keeping dots refreshed, then I try to manage keeping 4cp envenoms+surge up as best I can. Some fights it's not doable, but you should try to have surge uptime of +75%. If you can get to 80% that's great, but don't stress it as its dependent on mut crits.

You're itemized pretty well. Mastery(always, this never gets bad)>crit-vers. You want as little haste as possible. Also, as fun as drought is, a 900+ stat stick is usually gonna be better. Makes all your shit hit harder. Agi is still king.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbonez View Post
    I've heard both sides of the coin to envenoming inside of surge. When you can, you should. I find myself casting a lot more envenoms since KB is like always coming off CD. Priority #1 is always keeping dots refreshed, then I try to manage keeping 4cp envenoms+surge up as best I can. Some fights it's not doable, but you should try to have surge uptime of +75%. If you can get to 80% that's great, but don't stress it as its dependent on mut crits.

You're itemized pretty well. Mastery(always, this never gets bad)>crit-vers. You want as little haste as possible. Also, as fun as drought is, a 900+ stat stick is usually gonna be better. Makes all your shit hit harder. Agi is still king.
    Aye, so do as much as possible without stressing too much about it.

I've also heard some people say that mark of the satyr is the better neck enchant. What do you guys think?

Is there any good guides for how we're supposed to play Sin rogue ? I'm a low lvl rogue but when you say you have to keep SoT uptime to 75% it kind of worries me because I never have enough energy to keep up with that. Either that or lack of combo points for either envenom or rupture. I thought keeping envenom's uptime was more important when you have Kingsbane on ?

At ilvl 909, Mastery actually sims just a little bit higher than AGI for me. This is probably because with AP, Mastery is basically just a second AGI that scales with AGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Is there any good guides for how we're supposed to play Sin rogue ? I'm a low lvl rogue but when you say you have to keep SoT uptime to 75% it kind of worries me because I never have enough energy to keep up with that. Either that or lack of combo points for either envenom or rupture. I thought keeping envenom's uptime was more important when you have Kingsbane on ?
    If you're as undergeared as you say, a lack of crit (less than 20%) can make an already slow spec like assassination a complete drag if you don't consistently get 3-4 cp mutilates. As for a more high-level overview of how to play assassination, I'd recommend this guide. Some of the info may be outdated, but it holds up for the vast majority of the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Demyelinated View Post
    At ilvl 909, Mastery actually sims just a little bit higher than AGI for me. This is probably because with AP, Mastery is basically just a second AGI that scales with AGI.
    I'm 909 as well, 34,627 agi (no food) and 142% Mastery. Pawn has agi weighted at 17.46 and mastery at 13.05 for me. Might be different for you, but yea agi and AP sync up very well, so you want a lot of both. Any high ilvl piece of gear will have lots of agi on it and if it has mastery, it's doubly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Houselol View Post
    If you're as undergeared as you say, a lack of crit (less than 20%) can make an already slow spec like assassination a complete drag if you don't consistently get 3-4 cp mutilates. As for a more high-level overview of how to play assassination, I'd recommend this guide. Some of the info may be outdated, but it holds up for the vast majority of the information.
    Thank you for this guide, I remember having read it a month or two ago. That's what I've been reading in regard to envenom's uptime or when to use them. I'm currently 32% crit and 100% mastery (9% haste 3% vers). Now I think I definitely need more mastery while trying to keep the crit to where it's at (the dream !).

I'm 909 as well, 34,627 agi (no food) and 142% Mastery. Pawn has agi weighted at 17.46 and mastery at 13.05 for me. Might be different for you, but yea agi and AP sync up very well, so you want a lot of both. Any high ilvl piece of gear will have lots of agi on it and if it has mastery, it's doubly good.
    Those weights sound really low. My Mastery weight is 23.46 and Agility is 22.58 at 907 with Boots and Shoulders.

The number of your weights are just relative, they are not absolute.