Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    When you fail you try again.
    They failed. They took a new approach and that has succeeded. There's no reason to try the failed design again when MMO's are slowly dying. There hasn't been a good MMO released in years, the last one being SWTOR and that practically collapsed. Keep in mind WoW was in development for almost 7 years. It takes an army of developers, $$$$ and time with a high chance of failure in today's market.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Yes I know but Blizzard c'mon... Make MMO's Great Again.
    Blizz: This MMO is never going to be any good, let's just carve out the PVP and salvage something from this disaster
    You: You shoulda made this an MMO!
    World: /smh

  3. #23
    Pandaren Monk Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,826
    An Overwatch MMO wouldn't work. What will be the factions? No factions ... anyone is anything?

    Also, you can't really get the pace of overwatch in an MMO imo.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  4. #24
    The Lightbringer Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wasington State
    Posts
    3,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    MMO's in the old sense (WoW and the like) are on their way out. There likely won't be another game in that genre that smashes the records like WoW, and WoW is still only as popular as it is because it's been around for so long.
    I imagine the only thing that will ever get close to WoW is WoW2, if they ever actually do one of those (and I really hope they do, they update as much as they can, but it still shows it's age, you can only do so much to modernize a game made in 2004).
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  5. #25
    It could but I don't think Blizzard wants to revive Titan. They scrapped it for a reason.

    They probably do want to come out with a new MMO eventually, to keep that WoW cash flow going, but I'd guess it won't be OW themed. A new MMO in the WoW universe seems more likely to me.

    In any case it will be years before a new Blizzard MMO is on the horizon.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Dont you people even know what games you play?

    Overwatch is the salvage of the MMO that was never created because Blizzard was smart enough to understand they were too slow with releasing it and scrapped it all together.

    Overwatch is the salvage of the PvP system with many tweaks.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...nment_project)

    There, read up.
    From what I got from the various interviews after Overwatch was revealed as salvaged from Titan was Titan was just too massive and undo-able in the way they wanted. They are very quiet on what exactly that pertains to though. They won't go into any info on what exactly their thoughts of the game or what they imagined it playing like. For the most part I think that just the Story/Characters are salvaged from Titan, and the game we play now has little to do with it.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    MMO's in the old sense (WoW and the like) are on their way out. There likely won't be another game in that genre that smashes the records like WoW, and WoW is still only as popular as it is because it's been around for so long.
    I think that the old Titan project, if was made with the same love and care that Overwatch was, would have been amazing. I would definitely love to play a new style of MMO *cough Destiny failed *cough*. The project had many of WoW's former developers like Jeff Kaplan who really made the game shine. Kaplan was one of two people who finished Molten Core in a week or two before WoW was finished in order to get it shipped with the game. He's a hard worker and I think they could have taken MMOs to a new place. Destiny tried to do something with the FPSMMO style of gameplay but it failed pretty hard. Blizzard is really, really good at taking things that didn't work and making them awesome.

  8. #28
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,410
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    They didn't do it because it took too long, Diablo 3 was scraped several times over 11 years and it was still released. Blizzard has blizzard money and can afford to eat losses. The reason they scraped it was because they just couldn't capture the fun factor. Very little of Titan actually made it to Overwatch, just concepts like Tracer who was originally called a "jumper".
    Well, they said they all took their departments in different directions and basically fell out when they couldn't bring it all together again. We don't know how much they did salvage, but certainly the engine (it was always going to be first person), and a lot of the art and story.

  9. #29
    Moderator xChurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The darkest corner with the best view.
    Posts
    4,351
    As cool as it sounds on the surface, I just can't envision it really playing out all that well in reality. Given that it's set in a slightly futuristic Earth, I don't think they'd be able to keep it logically consistent while providing enough content to justify it being an MMO. I remember them mentioning once before that Titan solved this by basically giving you a day job/life but it ended up being no fun as a result.
    Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - Carl Sagan

    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness. - Charles Darwin

  10. #30
    Activision-Blizzard already has Destiny as it's big MMOFPS.

    They likely wouldn't try to directly go against themselves.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    An Overwatch MMO wouldn't work. What will be the factions? No factions ... anyone is anything?

    Also, you can't really get the pace of overwatch in an MMO imo.
    You should check out Planetside 2.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Just because game companies fails to deliver doesn't mean that there isn't a demand.
    MMO's are a dying genre (Like that guy said, in moreso the whole WoW/GW2/FF type games) that's just the truth of it. It will never be what it was years ago, yes there are still people who want that, but the amount that does is reducing. It's not a bad thing, it'll still be very popular, it just won't be what it used to be.

    And this whole "Game companies fail to deliver" it's not that, it's people are wanting mmos to be something they aren't, because they're getting bored of the genre.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    An Overwatch MMO wouldn't work. What will be the factions? No factions ... anyone is anything?

    Also, you can't really get the pace of overwatch in an MMO imo.
    What? You could easily do factions, I don't know much about Overwatch but I do know you can split the factions. You have widow/reaper etc, those kinds on one side and then winston/tracer etc on the other.

  13. #33
    Pandaren Monk Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    What? You could easily do factions, I don't know much about Overwatch but I do know you can split the factions. You have widow/reaper etc, those kinds on one side and then winston/tracer etc on the other.
    I didn't say that it was impossible to do factions ... just factions won't make sense. Which is my I said "No factions ... everyone can be anything."
    If you do Talon vs Overwatch where do you put people not in a one of those factions?

    What about people who want to play Junkers or other people outside that dynamic?

    Look at Characters in game. Reaper went from Overwatch to Talon ... Ana and Soldier aren't associated with Winston and the recalled Overwatch agents. We do not know if Genji, Reinhardt, Torb, Mercy and McCree have responsed to his call. Bastion and Torb appear to be going on a buddy cop ride.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2017-04-24 at 02:47 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I didn't say that it was impossible to do factions ... just factions won't make sense. Which is my I said "No factions ... everyone can be anything."
    If you do Talon vs Overwatch where do you put people not in a one of those factions?

    What about people who want to play Junkers or other people outside that dynamic?

    Look at Characters in game. Reaper went from Overwatch to Talon ... Ana and Soldier aren't associated with Winston and the recalled Overwatch agents. We do not know if Genji, Reinhardt, Torb, Mercy and McCree have responsed to his call. Bastion and Torb appear to be going on a buddy cop ride.
    What? It's an mmo. We wouldn't be junkrat/roadhog etc, we'd be out own hero that's unnamed.

    The actual overwatch characters would be npcs.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    And the heroes and villains that you play in Overwatch would be important NPC's that you could interact with.

    It could be two factions fighting each other for dominion but at a larger scale than what's currently in Overwatch and of course there would be a large world to explore.


    haha No they already tried that....thats what overwatch was.

  16. #36
    Pandaren Monk Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    What? It's an mmo. We wouldn't be junkrat/roadhog etc, we'd be out own hero that's unnamed.

    The actual overwatch characters would be npcs.
    You literally missed my point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You literally missed my point.
    Npcs can be neutral, you don't need everyone to fit into talon or overwatch. So your point made no sense.

  18. #38
    Pandaren Monk Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Npcs can be neutral, you don't need everyone to fit into talon or overwatch. So your point made no sense.
    /facepalm ... again you missed the point. yes, NPCs can be neutral, but players can't when they are factions. My point is one the PLAYERS. Not who they play, but rather showing the world of Overwatch is flowing ... not static.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    /facepalm ... again you missed the point. yes, NPCs can be neutral, but players can't when they are factions. My point is one the PLAYERS. Not who they play, but rather showing the world of Overwatch is flowing ... not static.
    Genuinely, your issue makes no sense. There are 2 factions, players can join either, without problem. Having some of the characters who aren't in either faction, isn't an issue.

    You pick a time line, and build a story off that, you could never do a copy paste story wise of how it is currently, it'd either have to be a future version, or a distant past version (Past would likely work better)

    It's a story, you have to actually put work in to make the mmo story work.

  20. #40
    Pandaren Monk Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Genuinely, your issue makes no sense. There are 2 factions, players can join either, without problem. Having some of the characters who aren't in either faction, isn't an issue.

    You pick a time line, and build a story off that, you could never do a copy paste story wise of how it is currently, it'd either have to be a future version, or a distant past version (Past would likely work better)

    It's a story, you have to actually put work in to make the mmo story work.
    My issue makes no sense ... then you literally say what I am getting at. What?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •