Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Caifas View Post
    You think so? Warcraft was always about warring factions, the main characters switching from game to game. In its essence, de game was about orcs vs humans and their allied factions. You can fit quite a bit of open storytelling into it. Overwatch is a bit more similar to a super-hero story, with the characters outshining the world. So, I really don't see how what you said applies. If you care to explain your reasoning, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.
    Warcraft was told through Hero Units, remember? Yes, there are warring factions ... just like they are factions in Overwatch.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Not an MMO... But I would LOVE to see an Overwatch 2D/3D fighting game. Like a Dragonball Xenoverse. It has a large amount of characters and a very appealing art design that I think would transition well into a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Dont you people even know what games you play?

Overwatch is the salvage of the MMO that was never created because Blizzard was smart enough to understand they were too slow with releasing it and scrapped it all together.

Overwatch is the salvage of the PvP system with many tweaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...nment_project)

There, read up.
    what does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Warcraft was told through Hero Units, remember? Yes, there are warring factions ... just like they are factions in Overwatch.
    On warcraft the focus was rarely a single hero. Warcraft I and II have no hero units, those only being introduced in wc2 expac. Wc3 was a story with heroes but, ultimately, you controled an army. Of course, every story has characters, it cant be driven by a mass of random soldiers. However, the battles between the different forces were always the focus. W3 was about the horde, the alliance, the nelfs and the scourge, not only about their leaders. Overwatch is not about he factions, it is about the heroes. One is a fantasy epic, the other is a superhero story. Of course none of them lay purely on one ofr those aspects, but the focus is clear.

A world of overwatch is extremely unlikely to happen due to the history of the game, since the devs that worked on that project were severely disappointed with the failure that project titan ensued , not to mention the huge amount of resources wasted on it, I highly doubt blizzard will ever take that route again with overwatch.

As for mmos in general, I feel the mmorpg genre is taking a decline. but given time, and development of new technologies ( VR mainly), we could see a new breed of VRMMORPG that will start a new era for the mmo genre.

What I would consider blizzard doing in the future with such technology advancements is possibly a world of starcraft ( since world of diablo would be a tad too close to wow in terms of general playstyle).

On warcraft the focus was rarely a single hero. Warcraft I and II have no hero units, those only being introduced in wc2 expac. Wc3 was a story with heroes but, ultimately, you controled an army. Of course, every story has characters, it cant be driven by a mass of random soldiers. However, the battles between the different forces were always the focus. W3 was about the horde, the alliance, the nelfs and the scourge, not only about their leaders. Overwatch is not about he factions, it is about the heroes. One is a fantasy epic, the other is a superhero story. Of course none of them lay purely on one ofr those aspects, but the focus is clear.
    Warcraft 1 has Medivh, Garona, Griselda and Lothar. They are classed as hero units.

And Tides of Darkness has Uther from the Alliance campaign. There was hero units way before Beyond the Dark Portal.

Hell you even had Cho'Gall in the Orc Campaign.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-03 at 01:34 PM.

Overwatch is whats left from the MMO project "titan" they were working on.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with a Overwatch mmo would be its timeline.... When do you wanna let it take place?

No Tusk Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Overwatch is the IP that's most likely to get an MMO. Diablo is centered around Diablo and demonic beings, that'd be extremely boring.
    I can somewhat see Starcraft getting one but then they'd definitely have to work in stuff like space travel and shit, because teleporting from planet to planet would be extremely trash in this day and age.

After Titan failed, they wanted to do an mmo for one of the existing IPs which is Starcraft or Diablo, they probably considered both but found out it would not work out.
    Just because Titan became Overwatch, doesn't mean that Overwatch can't become a MMO franchise. Anyhow, I'm excited for anything that Blizzard creates that's mmo related, I do wonder if they would use a heavily modified Overwatch engine or HOTS engine for their next mmo though.

They've obviously got Holinka and Tom Chilton working on a secret project, so I do think they're working on a MMO right now. And if it's Overwatch related then it'll probably launch when the game is starting to drop in popularity. (4-5 years from now)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    And the heroes and villains that you play in Overwatch would be important NPC's that you could interact with.

It could be two factions fighting each other for dominion but at a larger scale than what's currently in Overwatch and of course there would be a large world to explore.
    A few fractures of Overwatch comes from the MMO project, 'Titan'. Was meant to be an MMO but none was sure if FPS or RPG. The Ilios map was revealed to be from the Titan project, as well as was Tracer's abilities, and Reaper. The 'Junkers' (Junkrat and Roadhog) was meant to be hostile mobs as well, was revealed under a few interviews.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    what does that have to do with anything?
    Pretty much everything with the question the OP asked.

I was literally coming to post the exact thing, that the game started as an MMO and never made it to fruition because blizzard didn't have the time for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    A few fractures of Overwatch comes from the MMO project, 'Titan'. Was meant to be an MMO but none was sure if FPS or RPG. The Ilios map was revealed to be from the Titan project, as well as was Tracer's abilities, and Reaper. The 'Junkers' (Junkrat and Roadhog) was meant to be hostile mobs as well, was revealed under a few interviews.
    More than "fractures" when Overwatch was announced years ago they told us that it was the salvaged pvp portion of Titan.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-07-03 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    More than "fractures" when Overwatch was announced years ago they told us that it was the salvagedpvp portion of Titan.
    Still fractures of the whole being.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Still fractures of the whole being.
    I mean its Fractured but whole

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Warcraft 1 has Medivh, Garona, Griselda and Lothar. They are classed as hero units.

And Tides of Darkness has Uther from the Alliance campaign. There were hero units way before Beyond the Dark Portal.
    I stand corrected. Forgot about them sincr they were not in all of the missions. Been a while since I played those. The bulk of my point still stands tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily, just copy and paste the Destiny story over it and make all the characters playable and viola, Overwatch MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I mean its Fractured but whole
    That you can say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    Easily, just copy and paste the Destiny story over it and make all the characters playable and viola, Overwatch MMO.
    No thanks. Overwatch has their own story, doesn't really need Destiny.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    My original point was that the same argument against Overwatch being a MMO could have been made about Warcraft as the story was told by heroes. Just because overwatch is hero driven doesn't mean it an MMO would be.

There are better arguments against an overwatch MMO than "it's about heroes!"
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

My original point was that the same argument against Overwatch being a MMO could have been made about Warcraft as the story was told by heroes. Just because overwatch is hero driven doesn't mean it an MMO would be.

The best argument that I have seen so far would be that it would cannibalize Destiny 2 sales.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-07-04 at 07:30 AM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure. But making a game that focuses on generic player-created characters would be a massive failure to capitalize on Overwatch's greatest assets: its characters. If they want to make another Overwatch game, mark my words that it'll be in a genre where they can leverage the characters. A tactical RPG, a fighting game, a single-player shooter, whatever. It'll be about heroes, not created characters.

That is oversimplifying my point a bit. What Im trying to say is that an mmo would lose part of the most crucil point of appeal that Overwatch has. And yes, there are other, possibly better arguments that have been presented in this very thread. It could be argued that mmos are a stagnant genra and Blizz would have to come up with something really innovative to even make the endeavor worth it -something that they tried and failed.

One could also claim that it would compete with WoW, making it less desirable to investors. It could even be pointed out that the current mmo market might be that profitable.

I am, however, not invested in this argument enough to spend my time discussing all of that. I had a perspective to add and I believe I defended it to its full extent.

If Blizzard were to make a good Overwatch mmo would I be pleasantly surprised? Of course! I am a fan of their games and would be very happy to play it. But I believe that not all IPs have to become mmos. I don't think the franchise would have much to have added because of the intrinscical aspects of its game philosphy that I explained, ad nauseum at this point.

Feel free to disagree as much as you like but, the same way I have failed to convince you, I dont believe that you have turned my position invalid.