Gearing up vs. Stat Checks

So there is a lot of kind of "other" topics encircling this one as far as the legendary utility vs. dps items, mythic raiding requiring too much grinding to be part of, legions AP system "requiring" a large amount of grinding to be "competitive," among other random problems people seem to have with legions mechanical systems.

So basically my question is: (with no bias as I am a pretty casual player that has played on and off since the first month WoW came out with dial up internet based of time available / leisure time) What kind of balance should WoW have of needing to gear your character up to hit stat checks vs. being able to clear super hard difficulties with relatively low ilvls? Should it be a hard check of "well if you are averaging within 20 ilvls of x baseline and you do the strategy right you should clear it" vs "well if you are within 10 ilvls of x baseline and you do the strategy right you should clear it." Obviously it comes down to super fine tuning of numbers as I gave pretty ballpark loose numbers but the sentiment remains the same: do you believe you should be able to perfect one or two specific strategies that are the only way to kill a boss on "mythic / the hardest difficulty, within a fairly tight system (i.e. need within 10 ilvl average gear to succeed even using that strat)" or should different similar strategies work for bosses based upon a slightly looser ilvl set (say you find a different strat that isn't quite as efficient but works for your comp but is missing that like 2% your raid is missing because your raid could use another 5 ilvl average across the board.)

My point being: (ignore this until you post as I know we'd get an exceptionally diverse set of answers already) WoW is made for an extremely diverse set of people and players, and there will always be an "optimal" way for the WoW developers to do things based on your wants at the time but quite literally every players wants change as they grow, ie most of the hardcore WotLK players have quit or are casuals now because they have families and careers going so they want to be able to experience content they might otherwise have only gotten to participate in if they were a hardcore player back in the day. However there are also people that picked up WoW last expansion and go "wow WoW is such an awesome game!" and are wanting to learn more and more about how the intricacies work for specific mechanics and are left wanting when they've figured out all the math that isn't even a thought to the casual player. So enjoy WoW for what it is: many types of games within a common universe meant to give enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it, please find something you do enjoy instead of spreading hate onto something you once enjoyed!

edit: sorry the last sentence is kind of a deterrent from people posting their true feelings either way I feel. While I stick with what I said I wholeheartedly encourage you to share an opinion either way!
    Last edited by LightClaw; 2017-04-24 at 05:32 AM.

I am not sure what the question is. Can you be more clear about the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I am not sure what the question is. Can you be more clear about the question?
    Which addon is perfect to kick correct people?

From a design point of view two parameters matter for clearing potential: power (includes optimal classes and ilvl etc.) and ability (includes both strategy and skill to execute).
    From a competitive pov you can assume power will be maxed in any way it can before the race starts. Lower difficulties of the same content (in this case HC), will provide a gearing opportunity so as time progresses the overall chance to clear increases not just because your ability goes up as you find the strategies and train the execution through repetition, but also because your power increases. Over time, the instances get nerfed to accommodate for lower investment (lower power) and skill (lower ability).
    As for your 'different ways', people will always go the easy route.