Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Blizzard's main problem is the same exact problem many other companies are strarting to face.

The previous generations of gamers are getting too old to consistently play now. These are the gamers that loved the grind. They loved to work hard to advance or get that super rare item. They are the ones that saw that badass guy with the BiS gear and worked hard until they themselves were that guy.

Those gamers now, though, they're getting married, having children, working full time, etc. They don't have as much time to play at night and on weekends because the wife and kids want to do something. They can't stay up all night farming for gear anymore because they have to be up at 6am for work. I know the feeling because I'm one of those guys.

Why not try to pander to the newer generations then? Well... They've been trying. The problem, though, is that the newer generation is well, well known for having extremely short attention spans, care more about social media and making their peers believe they're more interesting than they really are, are much more likely to get offended at the smallest thing (even if said thing is a vital part of a game's lore and is put there to make said thing look bad), and (most important of all) are known for having an extremely.... EXTREMELY large entitlement complex. They don't want to work for reward anymore, because they believe they're entitled to the same things as someone who plays the game 5 times as much as them.

This creates a problem, because then the company has to choose. Their dedicated but decreasing base, or pander to the newer base that will demand everything on a silver platter and then leave in a month or 2 because their ADD kicked in and they moved on to another thing. And, almost always, you can't choose to appeal to one without losing the other.

This is why I like Legion. Blizz seemed to try to appeal to the older audience that doesn't have as much time but LOVES to work hard. They stopped making everything daily. Now we have 3 days to do an emmisary, a week to do a week event, we can get guaranteed items from a weekly mythic+ cache as long as we do at least one mythic+. Thus we don't really feel forced to gring mythic+ for hours because we know we'll almost always get a better item in our weekly cache, we can grind AP, but if we can't grind it daily, we get catchups through artifact knowledge levels so we don't fall too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    One thing that has become clear since recent events of Legion is that while Legion undeniably has some of the best story in WoW, its gameplay has suffered, people are loosing interest in wow, and "not" comming back, including myself. I think the reality is harsh and direct, but clear.

WoW will eventually be made free to play in order to keep lost subscribers comming back. I wouldnt be surprised if this is a feature of either the next expansion or the one after it, as blizzard has been ebbing towards F2P for a while now, the Tokens literally can make your experience f2p if you farm enough gold but thats not quite F2P so much as "farm" to play.

Regardless, some people probably had an abundance of money after WoD given how easy it was to farm coin there, meaning they probably havent paid for an expansion subscription in a while now.

The economic downfall of WoW was an inevitaiblity anyone could have seen comming, the sad truth is that WoW was never going to sustain itself on that alone.

People who are paying are probably alot less than you think, again, WoD made it exploitably possible to amass so much wealth in your garrison that some folks are probably swimming in money right now. As a result of this its likely blizzard will move to F2P over time because of that lack of wealth generated from WoW itself. Right now their biggest profits come from the fact they've ebbed into publishing content and not simply designing it. With alot of their newer economic gains from things like Destiny, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Definately Overwatch.

While WoW continues to be a profitable cow I think even they know the time has come to slowly let it go, which is why less and less is being made and less quality content is being focused on. The games work got lazier each expansion and with Legion its so lazy its almost laughable. Virtually no new weapons were made in Legion, they just finally added the second set of gear that everyone wanted forever since launch and most of the armor sets are the usual reskin montage of colours.

The mounts were probably the hardest thing 7.2 had to make with different colours for each one but even that is hardly that difficult when done right, which means they're just getting lazy for the sake of being lazy now. I think blizzard knows this, and I think honestly? They dont care.

They've even moved a lead designer from Wow, SC2 and HoTS to some new project they're working on, which is either going to be a big and ambitous MMO, or more likely, an RTS.

SC2 and HOTS definately give me that vibe considering HOTS was built on RTS engines using the heroes of warcrafts games, and SC2 is an RTS, revovling around base building and army micro management.

With SC2 finished, its quite possible, Warcraft 4 is now in progress. Likely taking place some time after the events of Legion I have no doubt WC4 will be used to "freshen" the franchise with new heroes, faces, and have some nostalgia plays like an older Anduin and Velen.

See WC4 would be the perfect way to drag new players into the game. It would be able to recreate the magic that WC3 did back in the early 2000nds and equally build hype for a potential WoW 2 that could be in the works in the aftermath of WC4. This can only be a good thing, as WoW can then finally move on.

As for Wow itself, I suspect it has enough life for maybe 3 expansions after Legion, if they go back to their 5 levels per expansion system that puts it at a 125 level cap which would work fine. If they kept going by 10 levels then 150 would be the level cap after 4 expansions, which is also a possiblity, but I still think thats less likely.

I think Legion is the last "Big" expansion and after it, everything else will be alot smaller, compact and more likley to forfil their origional "one expansion per year" quota as they will simply make micro-expansion packs designed to fill the blanks while crossing between WoW 1 and WoW 2.

In conclusion though, this is not a doomsaying of sorts but more an inevitaiblity, it is almost certain Warcraft 4 is being worked on with Sc2 more or less being finished, and WoW being slowly faded into a lesser work for blizzard which is becomming more evident each expansion.

The chances are, the team will wrap up what story they have left to tell in Azeroth, and finish WoW there... with WC4 and Wow 2 possibly taking place in a new planet, which would be a good way to freshen things and start over.
    rts are dead the new huge money digging genre are fps, mobas and open world (fallout, skyrim, ffxv, etc) if by any chance they are making one of those i think it will be a replacement of sc or diablo (a open world sc/diablo a la skyrim).
    wow will remain either blizzard port it on consoles and make it ftp, or milk it till it become unprofitable for at last 5-6 year.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    One thing that has become clear since recent events of Legion is that while Legion undeniably has some of the best story in WoW, its gameplay has suffered, people are loosing interest in wow, and "not" comming back, including myself. I think the reality is harsh and direct, but clear.

WoW will eventually be made free to play in order to keep lost subscribers comming back. I wouldnt be surprised if this is a feature of either the next expansion or the one after it, as blizzard has been ebbing towards F2P for a while now, the Tokens literally can make your experience f2p if you farm enough gold but thats not quite F2P so much as "farm" to play.

Regardless, some people probably had an abundance of money after WoD given how easy it was to farm coin there, meaning they probably havent paid for an expansion subscription in a while now.

The economic downfall of WoW was an inevitaiblity anyone could have seen comming, the sad truth is that WoW was never going to sustain itself on that alone.

People who are paying are probably alot less than you think, again, WoD made it exploitably possible to amass so much wealth in your garrison that some folks are probably swimming in money right now. As a result of this its likely blizzard will move to F2P over time because of that lack of wealth generated from WoW itself. Right now their biggest profits come from the fact they've ebbed into publishing content and not simply designing it. With alot of their newer economic gains from things like Destiny, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Definately Overwatch.

While WoW continues to be a profitable cow I think even they know the time has come to slowly let it go, which is why less and less is being made and less quality content is being focused on. The games work got lazier each expansion and with Legion its so lazy its almost laughable. Virtually no new weapons were made in Legion, they just finally added the second set of gear that everyone wanted forever since launch and most of the armor sets are the usual reskin montage of colours.

The mounts were probably the hardest thing 7.2 had to make with different colours for each one but even that is hardly that difficult when done right, which means they're just getting lazy for the sake of being lazy now. I think blizzard knows this, and I think honestly? They dont care.

They've even moved a lead designer from Wow, SC2 and HoTS to some new project they're working on, which is either going to be a big and ambitous MMO, or more likely, an RTS.

SC2 and HOTS definately give me that vibe considering HOTS was built on RTS engines using the heroes of warcrafts games, and SC2 is an RTS, revovling around base building and army micro management.

With SC2 finished, its quite possible, Warcraft 4 is now in progress. Likely taking place some time after the events of Legion I have no doubt WC4 will be used to "freshen" the franchise with new heroes, faces, and have some nostalgia plays like an older Anduin and Velen.

See WC4 would be the perfect way to drag new players into the game. It would be able to recreate the magic that WC3 did back in the early 2000nds and equally build hype for a potential WoW 2 that could be in the works in the aftermath of WC4. This can only be a good thing, as WoW can then finally move on.

As for Wow itself, I suspect it has enough life for maybe 3 expansions after Legion, if they go back to their 5 levels per expansion system that puts it at a 125 level cap which would work fine. If they kept going by 10 levels then 150 would be the level cap after 4 expansions, which is also a possiblity, but I still think thats less likely.

I think Legion is the last "Big" expansion and after it, everything else will be alot smaller, compact and more likley to forfil their origional "one expansion per year" quota as they will simply make micro-expansion packs designed to fill the blanks while crossing between WoW 1 and WoW 2.

In conclusion though, this is not a doomsaying of sorts but more an inevitaiblity, it is almost certain Warcraft 4 is being worked on with Sc2 more or less being finished, and WoW being slowly faded into a lesser work for blizzard which is becomming more evident each expansion.

The chances are, the team will wrap up what story they have left to tell in Azeroth, and finish WoW there... with WC4 and Wow 2 possibly taking place in a new planet, which would be a good way to freshen things and start over.
    Warcraft 4 was always a possibility, they just have to do it. Starcraft 2 is more of a problem for Warcraft 4 than WoW is. They can just set Warcraft 4 in the past or in an alternative universe or integrate it with a WoW expansion. But having a second RTS is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Wrong. If ppl decide that token price is too high they would stop buying them and eventually token sales would bring less and less money, thus you cant have make money without both sides being happy about what they get for what they pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    Blizzard would make more money if token users were buying subscriptions
    Let's break this down:

* Player A pays his $15/month sub, but also spends $20 to get a token.

* Player A sells the token on the auction house to Player B.

* Player B uses token for a month's subscription, which costs him "nothing".

* Blizzard receives: $15 from Player A + $20 from Player A = $35. Blizzard gets this money regardless if someone eventually buys the token on the AH or not.

Compare this to Player A paying his $15/mo sub, and Player B also deciding to just pay his $15/mo, Blizzard would then only receive $30.

As long as someone, anyone buys a token for RL money, Blizzard is making more money. Even if people kept buying tokens for RL money but demand became such that no one bought them on the AH, Blizzard still made money - equivalent to more than two subscriptions paid.

And the way the token system works, if people stop buying tokens, the AH price will drop until people start buying again. That's how supply and demand works. It's called "Equilibrium".

Also, just throwing this out here, but 'people' is spelled as such. Not ppl. You go through the effort of writing everything else out except that word. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Krigaren; 2017-04-24 at 02:27 PM.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    The popularity of Hearthstone and the sales numbers for the last two WoW expansions in the first month of their launches would have to disagree with that. The interest in WarCraft is still there, despite the subscription numbers for WoW not being at their peak like back in the days of WotLK. Having new WarCraft games in a different genre would still be interesting to people if done right. Heck, despite the bleak future of RTS as a genre, there are people who are still hoping for WarCraft to go back to its RTS roots (I know I do).
    Hearthstone is not really a valid argument, it could've been Overwatch / Starcraft / Diablo related and it would've been just as popular. It's thanks to the competitive scene as well as Twitch that it does so well. As for the expansions, people don't stick around after the first month / two first months. That is a problem and thus it's valid to say that it's a dying IP. Just because it still has 2 mil players doesn't mean it isn't dying. That's a healthy population, sure, but it's still losing more subs than it is gaining.

People treat it like any other single player game now, they buy the expansion, play it until they've finished the first raiding tier, then they quit.

If I had a prized cow like WoW I, too, would consider it's abandonment. I do not like money very much.

Deleted
    Oh no, doom is upon us! World is ending! Everyone flee!!

No they won't abandon anything that makes millions of dollars.

They won't make WOW2 and can WoW on the hope that it can retain players. Only retarded MMO-C posters can think a business would take such a pointless risk worth millions of dollars.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-04-24 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeith View Post
    Clearly you now very little of the lore, the gaming industry, the way the WoW token works, and game development. But nice wall of text. 2/10 for content, 1/10 for predictions, 8/10 for length.
    What he said.

Also no matter how bad of a business you think WoW is or will become, developing an RTS is arguably worse. Warcraft 4 is a possibility, but more as a passion project and fan service rather than a serious contender to WoW or its legacy.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I doubt it, I very very highly doubt it. WoW being in the MMO market is still very profitable in comparison to the RTS market. It would be, not just one, but two extremely costly risks changing WoW to WC4 in the RTS market and SC2 to a "Galaxy of StarCraft" MMO... It is asinine when it comes to the risk and development time, effort, resources, and budget. It would be extraordinarily foolish for Blizzard to sacrifice both titles to make two entirely new games in different markets.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    The story's quality is not "undeniable", and gameplay hasn't exactly "suffered", since there are some people who like the current gameplay experience. Stop spouting opinions as fact.

The WoW tokens are nowhere near as "free to play" as you make it out to be. Those coins still had to be bought with real money and they cost more than a single subscription fee. Also, the token only gives you a single month of gameplay, as opposed to the FTP model which your account is forever available, no matter how long you stay away from the game before returning.

Are you talking about real money, or in-game economics? For the former, it has sustained itself for over ten years, and is still quite strongly sustaining itself.

People who are paying are probably alot less than you think, again, WoD made it exploitably possible to amass so much wealth in your garrison that some folks are probably swimming in money right now. As a result of this its likely blizzard will move to F2P over time because of that lack of wealth generated from WoW itself.
    In-game money and in-game economy has no effect whatsoever whether a game goes free-to-play or not. The game tokens are not 'free-to-play' because, unlike the FTP model, Blizzard is still gaining their sub fee (plus bonus) for your game time, when you buy and use a game token.

Virtually no new weapons were made in Legion,
    Sixty (60) weapons, not counting recolors, were made for launch. That's nowhere near 'virtually none'.

Which is completely irrelevant, considering WoW doesn't have just one game designer, but, as the title implies, he leads a team of designers, and another designer will be appointed lead designer, so, again, irrelevant. Also: why would they make a RTS? They already have Starcraft for their players' "RTS needs"

With SC2 finished, its quite possible, Warcraft 4 is now in progress.
    Or Starcraft 3. Which is a bajillion more times likely, considering WoW is still going. You're just spouting wishful thinking while completely ignoring everything that totally shuts down your statements.

See WC4 would be the perfect way to drag new players into the game. It would be able to recreate the magic that WC3 did back in the early 2000nds
    So here is the core of issue at hand. Nostalgia. All you want is to go back to how the game was back then. Because you don't like how the game is right now.

In conclusion though, this is not a doomsaying of sorts
    Yes it is.
    it is almost certain Warcraft 4 is being worked on
    Not it's not, and you haven't provided a single evidence than it is. Wishful thinking is not evidence.
    WoW being slowly faded into a lesser work for blizzard which is becomming more evident each expansion.
    Again, no evidence other than wishful thinking.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    TIL one person not liking WoW anymore is a clear indication no one does

Quote Originally Posted by Apanonar View Post
    You do realize people paying their subscription with a token actually make Blizz more money?
    This, For every player paying their sub with Wow gold, Blizzard makes an extra 5$ over the normal Sub fee. 15$ USD per month, Wow token 20$ USD.

As a player since 2006, I have had two periods therein where I took a year or so break. I am not hard core but do raid weekly consistently when I play. My biggest issue is I feel stuck playing the couple of characters that I was able to keep at max level through the expansions. I know with boosts it's quicker to level but to go from level 20-110 is still an arduous prospect. Additionally, any people I've talked to who have never played feel its way too late in the game to try to jump in be that true or not that is the general thought.
    I have always wondered why there wasn't some sort or reset (or soft reset) where all characters start at the same level each expansion. I haven't thought about this in too much depth, but I would love a complete reset each xpac where you could migrate your characters over (for achievements and keep some other select attributes of having played past expansions - transmog/artifact appearances/mounts/pets/toys earned...etc.) but not be able to carry over items/gold..etc. Everyone would start at lvl 1 each xpac. This would re-level the economy and make it feel more newb friendly each xpac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivux View Post
    WoW....Polished......
    compared to a lot of the shit mmo's that exist out there. yeah. exactly polished is a good descriptive word for wow.

it is like why we still use the combustible engine. After 100 years of operation, the technology has been refined and perfected to the point where it is very hard to make a newer engine that could surpass it.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Why not try to pander to the newer generations then? Well... They've been trying. The problem, though, is that the newer generation is well, well known for having extremely short attention spans, care more about social media and making their peers believe they're more interesting than they really are, are much more likely to get offended at the smallest thing (even if said thing is a vital part of a game's lore and is put there to make said thing look bad), and (most important of all) are known for having an extremely.... EXTREMELY large entitlement complex. They don't want to work for reward anymore, because they believe they're entitled to the same things as someone who plays the game 5 times as much as them.

This creates a problem, because then the company has to choose. Their dedicated but decreasing base, or pander to the newer base that will demand everything on a silver platter and then leave in a month or 2 because their ADD kicked in and they moved on to another thing. And, almost always, you can't choose to appeal to one without losing the other.

This is why I like Legion. Blizz seemed to try to appeal to the older audience that doesn't have as much time but LOVES to work hard. They stopped making everything daily. Now we have 3 days to do an emmisary, a week to do a week event, we can get guaranteed items from a weekly mythic+ cache as long as we do at least one mythic+. Thus we don't really feel forced to gring mythic+ for hours because we know we'll almost always get a better item in our weekly cache, we can grind AP, but if we can't grind it daily, we get catchups through artifact knowledge levels so we don't fall too far behind.
    OMG, thank you. One of the best summaries of the issue I've read. If Blizzard or any developer can hit the spot between those extremes they deserve success.

IMO the key is jettisoning both the mindless grinds of old, and the total entitlement attitude of the present.

There can be casual content, but there must also always be greater rewards that require greater commitment - and that of skill, not grinding.

The artifact challenges are a great example.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    RTS is a dead genre.

You'll never see WC4 and probably neither SC 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

Spout the same things that others have said thru the years and eventually you will be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    it is like why we still use the combustible engine. [...]
    For a second there, I thought this was the name of WoW's graphic engine Can't it be end of the work day already? And why does the English language not have a simple word for this? German has "Feierabend", which literally means "celebration (of the) evening".
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    While this is a little more written out than most, "WoW is dying" threads still aren't allowed here