Page 1 of 3
LastLast

France elections: Le Pen 'steps aside' as party leader

France elections: Le Pen 'steps aside' as party leader

That didn't take long. Like a real populist she backed off. I'm sure in the upcoming days/weeks we get news that she asked for political asylum in Russia to avoid prosecution for high treason or something horrible like that.

Developing Story
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Putin shaking hands with that Hillary Clinton drag queen?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    she looks like hillary clinton a bit lol
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

15+ Year Old Account
    Steps aside as party leader, but she is still running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Le Pen visited him a few weeks ago. Her party Front National was openly financed by the Russians too.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Becuase he pays here to run for president.

She's not going anywhere, she just wants to run for president without conflicts. It's mostly political in an attempt to get supporters of other parties to vote for her in the second round.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    She's not going anywhere, she just wants to run for president without conflicts. It's mostly political in an attempt to get supporters of other parties to vote for her in the second round.
    Agreed she is going to backpedal on everything now to try to look "moderate" and gain votes, Lepen is no different than her father she just has a slicker sales pitch.

Populists are well known for their courage and tendency to stand by their beliefs and convictions in the face of adversity or challenge.

Well known.

Deleted
    She honestly think that the French are really that dumb? Everyone knows that she is the FN party.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say the OP is a tad bias by putting in Putin, but that is not my battle. (just preparing ya OP)

It just seems odd that she would step aside while running

she already knows she will lose badly in the election in 2 weeks so she is stepping down already

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    She honestly think that the French are really that dumb? Everyone knows that she is the FN party.
    You should never underestimate human stupidity.

Does she think stepping aside will improve her chances to win? How?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    It just seems odd that she would step aside while running
    Not at all. She'd trying to distance herself from her rabid, far-right base now that she's in the US equivalent of the general election, so she needs to pivot towards a more centrist position if she's to hope to pick up votes and narrow the gap between her and Macron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not at all. She'd trying to distance herself from her rabid, far-right base now that she's in the US equivalent of the general election, so she needs to pivot towards a more centrist position if she's to hope to pick up votes and narrow the gap between her and Macron.
    Still seems odd. I am just not used to how it works in Europe.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is that Marine LePen, or Donaldette Trump shaking hands with Putin?
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    It doesn't work, as far I can remember, it's the first time it happened during an election.

And this case is worse, Le Pen is the party and the party is Le Pen. Heck, she kicked her father from the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Considering Macron is essentially the French Hillary Clinton - that is to say, an unprincipled globalist being bankrolled by all the wrong people, I doubt she'll be losing too much sleep over him.

It's a bit unorthodox, for sure, but it's no different than we see in US politics between primary and general elections. Candidates play to their bases during the primary, then pivot to more centrist policies (usually) during the general election. This is a more extreme step in that type of behavior, and I guess we'll see if/how her rhetoric changes in these weeks, but it very much falls in line with it.