Thread: Dnr

Dnr

Would you sign a DNR if you were in a serious accident or was seriously ill? If you would at what point would you do it?

For those who don't know a DNR is a do not resuscitate order. and is used to tell the doctors that if your heart stops the doctors are not allowed to perform cpr or use life support. It's meant to allow you to die if you don't want to be resuscitate.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting - I didn't have a full understanding of DNR. Like I understood that if you were on life support, they wouldn't bring you back; however, I didn't realize that meant if you were in an accident, they wouldn't bring you back. I felt that I didn't want to be resuscitated so almost put that in my will really early on. A few years back, I was in a major accident: tree fell on car going down the freeway. Ended up needed to be brought back multiple times. Years later, I use a crutch and have some daily pain, but I'm able to spend my days enjoying my work, love my life with my wife and enjoying my free time with some games. If I had actually put the DNR in, I wouldn't be here to enjoy these days. I'll probably revisit it later in life, but glad I didn't make a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would do the cost/benefit analysis. WHO says the reasonable cost is ~2.5*GDP/populace per year of life extension.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Would you sign a DNR if you were in a serious accident or was seriously ill? If you would at what point would you do it?

For those who don't know a DNR is a do not resuscitate order. and is used to tell the doctors that if your heart stops the doctors are not allowed to perform cpr or use life support. It's meant to allow you to die if you don't want to be resuscitate.
    I think I would only consider a DNR if I had some mentally debilitating disorder or a physical constant-pain malady. But only if, and not necessarily even then.

Would you ever?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think I would only consider a DNR if I had some mentally debilitating disorder or a physical constant-pain malady. But only if, and not necessarily even then.

Would you ever?
    I've considered it before. Having bipolar disorder I generally hate myself and my life. Most days I'm fine with dying. If I was in the position that it was either be dead or be kept alive on machines or something I would choose death.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    In Belgium Euthanasia is legal, so i don't need to plan in advance.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I've considered it before. Having bipolar disorder I generally hate myself and my life. Most days I'm fine with dying. If I was in the position that it was either be dead or be kept alive on machines or something I would choose death.
    I have had some difficulty with depression in the past - definitely not the same as bipolar. I think if I was looking at a life hooked up to machines I would consider the DNR. Regardless of the mental stuff, having something breath for you is no way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I have had some difficulty with depression in the past - definitely not the same as bipolar. I think if I was looking at a life hooked up to machines I would consider the DNR. Regardless of the mental stuff, having something breath for you is no way to live.
    Agreed. I feel the same way about people who have to live their life on things like dialysis.

#IStandWithGinaCarano