Budget Gaming Laptop Help?

Alright good folks, I come to you again seeking assistance. This time, in the shape of a "Budget Gaming Laptop"

What I require from this laptop

- Budget: As cost efficient as possible, but let's say 6-800? Would honestly prefer lower, since this is more of a luxury item, and would not be getting crazy heavy use.
    - Can Run wow smoothly, if even at the most basic of video settings.
    - WoW will literally be the ONLY thing installed/ran on this computer.
    - I often find myself going from office to office, and would like to be able to log on for simple WQ/Open world stuff. Possibly the most graphically demanding task I would request of it would be being able to run 5mans.

As Always, thank you for the help folks. : D

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Mender View Post
    Alright good folks, I come to you again seeking assistance. This time, in the shape of a "Budget Gaming Laptop"

- Budget: As cost efficient as possible, but let's say 6-800? Would honestly prefer lower, since this is more of a luxury item, and would not be getting crazy heavy use.
    - I often find myself going from office to office, and would like to be able to log on for simple WQ/Open world stuff. Possibly the most graphically demanding task I would request of it would be being able to run 5mans.

Actually, it's not graphically demanding at all. The WQ and Open World stuff will be taxing on your CPU though, it's just the way WoW is. That said, if you don't mind having the settings turned down a bit, you can really play on just about anything. I used to play on an old $400 laptop at work, just for farming and daily quests really. Worked just fine for those purposes.

The biggest question would be how big a screen do you want? With that, people will be able to make more specific recommendations.

My experience with the laptop my place of employment provided me is that a Skylake-U i5 can drive WoW quite passably on its onboard graphics processor at 1080p at about Detail 4-5, tested solo and in 5-mans. I'd make sure to look for something with an i5 or i7 as the Turbo boost (which i3s and below do not really have) can make or break performance. There is an interesting open box deal on an Acer at Newegg right now (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16834315779R, Kaby Lake i5 + SSD + 1080p screen) but I'm not sure how long it'll stay there before someone snaps it up.
    Super casual.

Screen size doesn't matter too much, and like I mentioned above, it doesn't need to look pretty. Idk if it looks like minecraft, as long as I'm able to play with a decent frame rate. It's not like I intend on doing top tier raiding on it. Just something so I can check dailies, WQ's, maybe do a heroic or something during downtime. In regards to that acer, it looks like there is an ample supply of them. I see that it has integrated video, I've heard mixed reviews in regards to this. I'm not all too familiar with laptops, as I haven't owned one in over a decade. What say you? (I glanced over these forums, and I noticed someone recommended this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E...n%3A9521908011 to another member here. It is about a $200 difference and the specs look fairly similar aside from the video card. How much of a difference would I expect to see in game play-ability with onboard vs "dedicated?"

Well, as I mentioned, onboard graphics are just fine for WoW if you're not going to raid. You'll also see improved battery life not having a discrete GPU. However, you will see much better performance with the 940MX, giving you the option to play other games at higher detail levels; Intel's onboard GPU does struggle a bit with more graphically intense games like Overwatch.

So it's really "improved battery life, a bit lower price, and simplicity of drivers" versus "more graphical horsepower available for games besides WoW and better futureproofing versus WoW engine upgrades". The CPU in the one you linked is about 10% slower than the one I linked, but you won't feel that difference with what you're using it for.
    Super casual.

Ok, so let's say I wanted to step foot into an LFR. Would there be a major difference between the 2? I'll be pretty much playing WoW exclusively, possibly the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. Don't really play any other games. I'll be plugged I'd say 99% of the time, so while battery life is nice, it is not the end of the world.

The 940MX should handle that just fine. As for the other... I left my laptop at work last night, but I'll bring it home tomorrow and hit up a raid finder queue to give you my subjective experience.
    Super casual.

We bought 2 Toshiba i5 GT 740M laptops 3 years back and they handled WOW without any difficulty at all. I will have to start one up again to test with the latest version of WOW because we switched to PC's but there was nothing wrong with the gameplay at the time. I even managed to get WOW started up on a crappy low powered laptop with an SSD at one point. Weakest settings, etc. but it was still playable. I don't think you will have any issues with most laptops if you just want to play. It all depends on what resolution you want and the graphics quality you choose.

Your budget is pretty low for even a budget gaming laptop, but here are your directions:

Processor: i5-6200U or better.
    RAM: 8 GB.
    Videocard: GTX 950M or better (possibly lower but I dont have any experience).
    HDD: Ideally an SSD but that's very unlikely in the price range, so a 7200 rpm HDD, you're going to suffer with a usual 5400 rpm HDDs found in those kinda systems.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Your budget is pretty low for even a budget gaming laptop, but here are your directions:

Processor: i5-6200U or better.
    RAM: 8 GB.
    Videocard: GTX 950M or better (possibly lower but I dont have any experience).
    HDD: Ideally an SSD but that's very unlikely in the price range, so a 7200 rpm HDD, you're going to suffer with a usual 5400 rpm HDDs found in those kinda systems.
    He just wants to play with a decent frame rate so the budget should be plenty. Most laptops are simple enough to open if one wants to stick in a SSD after buying. Ultimately the frame rate will just boil down to dropping the quality until it hits the right speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I second the notion of 940M equipped laptop being ideal for that task, you can buy the likes of Lenovo 500S with decent specs for about 500 bucks if you look hard enough and it.

I have this one from work, it can handle WoW within parameters specified at full HD. The laptop itself is pretty light and decently built. Screen is full HD, but pretty low quality really. Battery life is weak too, but that's what you get for 500 bucks really, for that money it's brilliant.

(I can't post links because I'm a hardcore lurker and never post but...)

Acer Laptop

My Roommate uses this for wow. Not an awful price. I'm not a fan of acer but I'll admit it gets the job done.

Also for an extra 50 bucks you can "upgrade" to the 7200u with the newer model. Whether the few fps you'll gain from it is worth it is up to you.

7200u

Linkified for you! - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-04-27 at 09:25 PM.

You want this:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5855-...ustomization=1

Base price is $707. i7-7700, GTX 1050, 8 GB 2400 RAM. To get the 7700 and a 1050 at that pricepoint in a laptop is amazing. It doesn't come with an OS, but win 10 is $75, still within budget and NO bloatware. They left off thermal paste and a SSD, but it you already have those things and a 8GB ram stick lying around and can install them yourself, its a perfect buy.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

That's assuming quite a bit. It's a pretty sturdy laptop at least.

OP, as for how well the onboard graphics run raids, I just did a Gul'dan on my laptop with an i5-6300U and it was... passable. 20-40FPS at Detail 3, not tremendously smooth. Open world and 5-mans stay pretty close to 60.
    Super casual.

get this one by dell i7559-763BLK
    it comes with i5-6300hq processor
    15.6 inch full hd display
    4gb gtx 960m gpu
    256gb ssd
    8gb ddr3 ram
    Last edited by mikejohn; 2017-05-04 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Mender View Post

List of Latest Budget Gaming Laptop

#1. Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 15.6-inch.
    #2. Lenovo Ideapad 510 15.6 Inch.
    #3. Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-52RJ.
    #4. Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG 15.6-inch.
    #5. Lenovo 110-17IKB 17.3-inch.
    #6. HP 15-ba043wm 15.6-inch.
    #7. Acer Aspire E E5-575-53EJ 15.6-inch.
    #8. Dell Inspiron i5555-2866SLV 15.6-inch.