Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Affliction - 100 talent and new T20 bonuses.

New 100 talent; Death's Embrace; Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, and Drain Soul deal up to 50% increased damage on targets below 35% health.

Phantom singularity and Siphon Life have switched collums - http://ptr.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#CAAl

Warlock T20 Affliction 2P Bonus was redesigned: Corruption damage has a chance to generate a Soul Shard. Approximately 2.5 procs per minute
    Warlock T20 Affliction 4P Bonus was redesigned: Spending a Soul Shard has a 25% chance to grant you 15% Haste for 8 sec.

Since that's a pvp talent, what's happening to the actual pvp talent?
    My name is what makes me so manly.

more bullshit from blizzard for the warlock class. drain soul already had an "execute" baked into it, then it was taken away, now its back again in the form of a new, super lazy talent???

just like MG. Blizzard has said multiple times that they hated the MG game play, and now its a forced talent b/c they wouldnt put the time into fixing affliction the right way.

this is why I wont even touch my warlock in Legion (that and they took all the cool demon stuff from warlocks and gave it all to DH's)

In what world does it make sense for a demon "hunter" to change into a demon? dumb af

lazy, lazy devs.
    Last edited by Demonpuke; 2017-04-26 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmuscle View Post
    In what world does it make sense for a demon "hunter" to change into a demon? dumb af
    Becoming what you're ostensibly opposed to is one of the oldest tropes in storytelling.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

These changes look awesome! Such a big improvement to what we had before.

Lvl 60 tier, now we can decide between Seeds / Phantom Singularity / Soul Harvest Possibly Seeds for dungeons/aoe, PS for pvp?, SH for single target/raiding.

Lvl 100 tier has better choices too Death's Embrase (passive execute) / Siphon Life / Soul Conduit. Which each have their nich. Better options then before with SE and PS.

and the T20 set bonuses look twice as good as the ones they had before with the Drain Life dmg bullshit.

I am excited for these changes

Quote Originally Posted by chrewm View Post
    These changes look awesome! Such a big improvement to what we had before.

Lvl 60 tier, now we can decide between Seeds / Phantom Singularity / Soul Harvest Possibly Seeds for dungeons/aoe, PS for pvp?, SH for single target/raiding.

Lvl 100 tier has better choices too Death's Embrace (passive execute) / Siphon Life / Soul Conduit. Which each have their nich. Better options then before with SE and PS.

and the T20 set bonuses look twice as good as the ones they had before with the Drain Life dmg bullshit.

I am excited for these changes
    I agree with most of this with the exception of Death's Embrace. As mentioned by Maxmuscle, this use to be baked in to Drain Soul when Wrath of the Lich King was released. Just like so many other abilities, it's now simply a talent. Yay.

This is rather lazy from the devs, I, along with most of the Warlock community I'm sure, was hoping for something more original/new, not just another old ability converted in to a talent. The PvP talent tree idea really ruined this expansion for me, it has some great talents that should have been baseline abilities (looking at you Soul Swap). Unless you take Haunt now, with the MG nerf, our burst is down the drainer.

This is what I personally was hoping for in the new 100 talent, something that gives us burst now that we are lacking in that department, again.

And for anyone who thinks we didn't have burst, well, you were doing something wrong. Loading up a mob with 2 x UAs (or more pending shard availability and the mob's HP) and casting MG had amazing burst.

IMO siphon life needs to go away or be a passive ability, not a talent.

in its place throw in haunt, reworked ofc. make it a burst nuke'ish spell like before. or something new entirely. warlocks dont need an execute. (aff)

good luck doing any priority add burst with MG nerfed.

hopefully the warlock community will speak up on the blue forums and not let this lazy horse shit go live.

personally i would like to see shadow bolt playstyle come back to affliction. dots are cool. draining is not.
    Last edited by Demonpuke; 2017-04-27 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by transparent View Post
    This is rather lazy from the devs, I, along with most of the Warlock community I'm sure, was hoping for something more original/new, not just another old ability converted in to a talent.
    I think most of us hoped for something more interesting, but I think most of us also were realistic enough to realize there wasn't enough time for something brand new. I mean, you can see how many people just figured we'd get Soul Swap
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I think most of us hoped for something more interesting, but I think most of us also were realistic enough to realize there wasn't enough time for something brand new. I mean, you can see how many people just figured we'd get Soul Swap
    I'd say that time is less important than design space. The Affliction rotation just doesn't have many hooks for interesting things.

It's not a cooldown focused rotation so it's hard to add new buttons to it. About all you can do is add or remove a DoT, and those talents already exist. There's not much room for a meaningful alternative Soul Shard spender. A pet talent tier also already exists, not that they matter hugely because they don't benefit from our Mastery.

The Afflic design may have a lot of classic elements that harken back to the roots of the class, but as a design space it puts a lot of limits on what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    That at least would have helped with our burst, Death's Embrace does sweet FA for our burst. Perhaps if DE didn't have the "up to" modifier it could be good. Don't we just LOVE RNG aye?! Shoot me now.

Deleted

in its place throw in haunt, reworked ofc. make it a burst nuke'ish spell like before. or something new entirely. warlocks dont need an execute. (aff)

hopefully the warlock community will speak up on the blue forums and not let this lazy horse shit go live.

personally i would like to see shadow bolt playstyle come back to affliction. dots are cool. draining is not.
    Shadow Bolt for Affliction is so wrong I'll suppose you didn't play it in WotLK. A DoT specc which primary focus is to not mess up DoT timing can't be casting. Channeled ticks are way better for that. WE, the warlocks who played since Vanilla and through BC and WotLK, FOUGHT hard to have a channeled filler.

Quote Originally Posted by whackit View Post
    Phantom singularity and Siphon Life have switched collums - http://ptr.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#CAAl
    Dont only swap, they increase Siphon Life damage on 55% (450% SP), as it is now, could it be, potencially, our most damaging dot... PS on lv60 row is something i REALLY like. All this with in a Haunted target... I have to see the final numbers tho, but could it be quite bursty for a dot spec.

I have learn that, to live with Blizz, is better not having expectation at all, do wonders with my health... Is better take all they do for the bright side and live with it, because, at the end of the day, they wont lose sleep for what they have dont.
    Last edited by Bjarkan; 2017-04-27 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Princess Missfit View Post
    Shadow Bolt for Affliction is so wrong I'll suppose you didn't play it in WotLK. A DoT specc which primary focus is to not mess up DoT timing can't be casting. Channeled ticks are way better for that. WE, the warlocks who played since Vanilla and through BC and WotLK, FOUGHT hard to have a channeled filler.
    I did play aff during wrath, since 2 months before BC actually. and every expansion since. Draining to increase dot power is and has always been a dumb mechanic. Even blizzard has said that they hated that mechanic; they said it time and time again. thats why it was removed in legion (im talking MG playstyle, not DS) it was only brought back in 7.1 (or w/e patch it was) as a bandaid to the spec, and now they are bringing back an execute phase as another bandaid.

regardless, we will never see shadow bolt type playstyle back in affliction so there is no use even arguing about it....but, SB was normally a 1.2-1.6 sec cast, and if you couldnt time that up to refresh your dots on time, then you arent playing any better with the drain playstyle.

funny though
    Last edited by Demonpuke; 2017-04-27 at 12:48 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    New talent is disappointing. Can't see it being taken over the other two in the bottom row. I'm slightly more ok with the PS switch - sow is terrible outside of a handful of situations and while PS isn't bursty, it does provide some good aoe when used with seed on a cooldown, plus its a pretty substantial self-healing tool. I'm just worried that soul harvest will win out, never liked how that talent worked.

I'm really curious how this will all sim out.

Deleted
    I did play aff during wrath, since 2 months before BC actually. and every expansion since. Draining to increase dot power is and has always been a dumb mechanic. Even blizzard has said that they hated that mechanic; they said it time and time again. thats why it was removed in legion (im talking MG playstyle, not DS) it was only brought back in 7.1 (or w/e patch it was) as a bandaid to the spec, and now they are bringing back an execute phase as another bandaid.

regardless, we will never see shadow bolt type playstyle back in affliction so there is no use even arguing about it....but, SB was normally a 1.2-1.6 sec cast, and if you couldnt time that up to refresh your dots on time, then you arent playing any better with the drain playstyle.

funny though
    I didn't mention the Malefic Grasp thing as that's posterior to Drain Soul as a filler. While you channel you can stop the cast of the filler after a tick, not loosing ANY damage, to refresh your dots. While casting SB it can happen that an add spawns, a buff procs, you got a boss mechanic which makes you move, etc wich cancels the entire cast and fucks you up. I'm sorry but SB for DoT spec is atrocious.

EDIT: and btw "and if you couldnt time that up to refresh your dots on time, then you arent playing any better with the drain playstyle" I'm laughing at that. You're probably the turret player that does not move out of the fire to finish some cast or w/e.

---------------

On a different topic, I LOVE the PS row change. They're finally aknowledging that having a row change between Single Target and AoE is stupid. Not many specs have that, they mainly have "this is the aoe/cleave row, this is the single target row" but we kept that bad iteration since 7.0. Even Destro was changed (the Fire & Brimstone / Cataclysm change).
    Last edited by mmoc8aff34db26; 2017-04-27 at 12:54 AM.

Haunt? to burn a target

Regardless of the shadow bolt bs...

The execute talent is pretty lame, and very lazy. I hope that gets changed really soon. "up to" being the key phrase here.

Deleted
    I'm okay with it. Will make us pretty strong at council fights again and prolonged multi dot situations, for sure.

If you want priority add bursting play destro.

death's embrace isn't the most interesting thing but it's an improvement over soul effigy

I like the swap of siphon life and phantom singularity, especially if they increase SL's damage (though I bet sow the seeds with 95% of the time be better than singularity)

the tier bonuses seem pretty good too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    death's embrace isn't the most interesting thing but it's an improvement over soul effigy

I like the swap of siphon life and phantom singularity, especially if they increase SL's damage (though I bet sow the seeds with 95% of the time be better than singularity)

the tier bonuses seem pretty good too
    Good news everyone! SL is buffed to 450% SP!