Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroggylos View Post
    What I do find nice in tank specc is that every damn gcd and spell you press affects your tanking and survivability. There is nothing irrelevant or "filler" there.
    Avenger shield even more so with the t20 bonuses. Can't wait to play with the synergy between the legendary pants (5 target AS +20% dmg) and the set bonus where every target you hit with AS does 5% less dmg to you. That and the 2pc where Judgement has 25% chance to reset AS CD makes that pretty awesome.

As someone that has a 905+ of each tank, I would say that Pally is best suited for outgeared content and low level mythic+'s. I main my pally but my survive-ability isn't anything close to my DK, Druid, or Monk. The mobility is mediocre. Pallies are kind of legendary dependent, but as bad as Druids. Where as Monks, DK's, and DH's do not really depend on legendaries.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The answer you're asking for is entirely subjective.

I love my prot pally for several reasons, but others could disagree with each of them:
    • Plays fast: We stack haste, and both our attacks & defensives lend themselves to fast playstyle.
      I feel like a Star Wars laser light show on my prot pally.
    • Specific tools for every situation. I tank on DK, Warrior, Bear, and DH. To me, it feels like my prot pally toolkit has more specific tools for specific challenges: AD to cheat death if I know I can heal right away, GoAK to mitigate heavy damage, BoSW to cheese magic damage, Blinding Light for AoE interrupt, bubble taunt to turn off lethal debuffs and turn around a lost cause...
    • Solid DPS: We are preferred tank for M+ with good reason.
    • Good all-rounders: We may not be the best for any one application, but there's nothing we can't do and do well.
    • Holy Captain America!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stroggylos View Post
    What I do find nice in tank specc is that every damn gcd and spell you press affects your tanking and survivability. There is nothing irrelevant or "filler" there.
    YES! I never understood when Preach said all our CDs were boring and overly similar, but maybe he was speaking about a PTR iteration I never played. To me, each is different and any button you mash from second to second comes with it's own pros and cons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wink- View Post
    As someone that has a 905+ of each tank, I would say that Pally is best suited for outgeared content and low level mythic+'s. I main my pally but my survive-ability isn't anything close to my DK, Druid, or Monk. The mobility is mediocre. Pallies are kind of legendary dependent, but as bad as Druids. Where as Monks, DK's, and DH's do not really depend on legendaries.
    I play all of those except monk, and this hasn't been my experience, but maybe this just supports the notion that the question is subjective. I will say that pally survivability is more about being proactive, whereas bears have so much health they can derp their way through many mistakes. I main tank on my pally and dh; both have bear OTs. In both cases I take less damage and do more self-healing, but my OTs surviability is fine none-the-less. It just doesn't matter as much how well you play when you're a huge meat shield as long as the healers are on their game.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    YES! I never understood when Preach said all our CDs were boring and overly similar, but maybe he was speaking about a PTR iteration I never played. To me, each is different and any button you mash from second to second comes with it's own pros and cons.
    Pretty sure he didn't mean the PTR. Basically you have all mitigation spells that pretty much do the same sh.t in the end. You could've merged all of those spells into one. That's why I'm saying it's "retarded". People are saying I don't know how to play it or sh.tting on that class, but I don't think they understand that you don't really need them for most of the legion content. If that was the case, those CDs wouldn't be 2 min long.

But like you said, it's entirely subjective. I guess people like to have many buttons to press. Or cheese their way through.

I got Sephuz's Secret the other day as Ret and was furious, but started using it for Prot in Mythic+ and it made the spec much more fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Pretty sure he didn't mean the PTR. Basically you have all mitigation spells that pretty much do the same sh.t in the end. You could've merged all of those spells into one. That's why I'm saying it's "retarded". People are saying I don't know how to play it or sh.tting on that class, but I don't think they understand that you don't really need them for most of the legion content. If that was the case, those CDs wouldn't be 2 min long.

But like you said, it's entirely subjective. I guess people like to have many buttons to press. Or cheese their way through.

You clearly don't understand the meaning of mitigation spells and defensive cooldowns. The first is about reducing overall damage throughout a fight while the latter is for important mechanics , oh sh!t moments etc. So no you cannot merge all of these spells into one. If you haven't bothered using Argent Defender , Ancient Kings etc it is probably cause you are doing Mythic 4 dungeons or Cataclysm raids...

Quote Originally Posted by Andouin View Post
    You clearly don't understand the meaning of mitigation spells and defensive cooldowns. The first is about reducing overall damage throughout a fight while the latter is for important mechanics , oh sh!t moments etc. So no you cannot merge all of these spells into one.
    Oh man. I'm wondering what made you believe I don't know what mitigation spells and defensive CD are... Look. Do you play another tank ? For the sake of simplifying it, let's take a DK : it has Icebound fortitude and Anti magic shell. Those 2 are strong defensive CDs. That's it. They also have a reasonably short CD. You basically use them often enough to prevent big damages. But you can easily not use them and be fine against a LOT of content.
    If you haven't bothered using Argent Defender , Ancient Kings etc it is probably cause you are doing Mythic 4 dungeons or Cataclysm raids...
    Exactly what OP wants then ? What's silly is that paladins don't have 2 CDs, but 10. It just feels weird to have so many CDs you most likely won't use for an ALT.

Deleted
    Oh man. I'm wondering what made you believe I don't know what mitigation spells and defensive CD are... Look. Do you play another tank ? For the sake of simplifying it, let's take a DK : it has Icebound fortitude and Anti magic shell. Those 2 are strong defensive CDs. That's it. They also have a reasonably short CD. You basically use them often enough to prevent big damages. But you can easily not use them and be fine against a LOT of content.
    Exactly what OP wants then ? What's silly is that paladins don't have 2 CDs, but 10. It just feels weird to have so many CDs you most likely won't use for an ALT.
    Since you mentioned DK they also have Vampiric Blood and Dancing Rune Weapon. Also please state one by one those 10 cds.
    Last edited by mmoc17fb779254; 2017-05-08 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andouin View Post
    Since you mentioned DK they also have Vampiric Blood and Dancing Rune Weapon. Also please state one by one those 10 cds.
    We're talking about "useless" spells. Vampiric blood and Dancing Runes don't fall into that category. Not to mention they work extremely well together. The only comparison would be ardent defender. They're both good against big trash pack. they don't really mitigate the same but more importantly, DRW can also DPS. It's almost mandatory to use it on CD. Vampiric Blood is also only 30-45 sec CD because of traits (in other words, it's up against every trash pack). Tbh, that's not comparable.

Flash of light, Cleanse toxins, Blessing of freedom, Repentance : they're almost as useless as Path of Ice or Control Undead. You only use them for niche situations. Flash of Light might be more useful to help the healer. Tbh, I'd rather use hand of protector.

Blessing of Sacrifice and Blessing of protection : They're purely strong defensive spells with very long cooldown, and you'd use them only when you know your hand of protector won't be enough to help your allies. And that's only when they're taking AoE damage, which means there aren't a lot of situations where it occurs (thinking about HoV, Arcway or BRH. Which you can prevent them with a mass stun or better positioning). Notable exception is the one from MoS, Unstunable and unavoidable AoE, basically a pain in the ass for all the healers.

Divine Shield : 5 min CD, can cheese mechanics. Not mandatory. Kind of works like Antimagic shell, except it can also prevent physical damage. You use it only against bosses. If you use it against trash pack, it'll be a huge pain in the ass to keep aggro.

Lay on hand : More useful than Divine Shield. Once again, I'd rather make sure my HP don't fall too low and make the healer panic. But tbh I've hardly used it, because both me and OP don't want to do difficult contents. Afterall it's an alt.

Basically, the less useless CD is Ardent Defender. Use it specifically against big trash pack. That's it.

Also Bonus
    http://i.imgur.com/tNQqftt.png

Deleted
    While the above is true when you do trivial content i will respond with what Maylander said in page 1.

" You are correct, Raiz, in that such content can be tanked with only a few abilities. However, that goes for all tanks. "

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Meh. If you want a class that has a lot of retarded spells then go ahead, pick Paladin. There are like 10 useless spells that you almost never use them because you don't really need them, unless you're in a progress guild or in high m+.

You can basically tank everything with only 3 spells : shield of righteous, eye of tyr and avenger's shield. With probably another "mitigation" button that is called hand of the protector.
    The rest of the spells are just a bonus. You don't have to use them because they don't offer any passive dps afaik (Except maybe ardent defender ? Can't remember Either way I'm not sure it's a huge bonus).

What I like the most about this tank is his self heal. But other than that, it's kinda boring to play tbh.

To each their own I guess.
    You don't sound like you know how to play prot pally, let alone give advice about it.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Not everyone who plays alts want to serve the role of a body getting carried. Many actually play to contribute to the success of the run